Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

PA Systems: B-52 Matrix-200 Or Yamaha STAGEPAS 300

DJ GonzoDJ Gonzo Posts: 27
Think I'm having second thoughts on my B-52 Matrix-200. I just purchased it a couple of days ago and I'm having thoughts that I don't feel like this is the right application for me.

It started out that I was looking for something light, compact, great sound output for wedding ceremonies and small events, and provide clean voice signals for microphone use.

I did do some comparisons against the two at the local GC. I really felt that the Matrix outperformed the Yamaha. Atleast to my busted up hearing from loud guns, yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm just concerned that this Matrix won't yield me long term benefits over the Yamaha.

Well, the Matrix weighs in at 80 lbs. and the STAGEPAS weighs in at approximately 43 lbs. So I didn't accomplish one of my features I was looking for.

At any rate, if you own one of the two and or you have done your technical homework between the two...your help is greatly appreciated.

I still have a few weeks to return the Matrix, if need be. I am not good at technical specs with electronics....\"Uh, well Gonzo, are you sure you're in the right line of business?\" Although, me an music get along like two peas in a pod!

Here's the info on the B-52 Matrix-200: http://www.b-52pro.com/models/Matrix200.html

Here's the info on the Yamaha STAGEPAS 300: http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/ ... tions.html And here's also a Data Sheet on the Yamaha: http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/downloads ... asheet.pdf

Thank you again for any input you may provide to help better a good decision for my purchase.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    What exactly are you wanting the system to be capable of? Vocal and music? Outdoors? How big an area? What is your budget?

DRA
  • Options
    Quick history...

I am a mobile Disc Jockey and Emcee. I have some heavy equipment...well, heavy for me at least. I DJ/MC wedding receptions, corporate and private parties. Some of the venues I'm looking at playing don't require that I drag out 75+ lbs speakers, an amp rack that weighs approximately 160 lbs. I don't want to load this gear in my truck when venues don't require the power the speaker and amps put out. It's a LOT of work for something so little....over kill.

I have not done any wedding ceremonies. I have shy'd away from them due to my not wanting to lug an over kill of equipment into the chapel, etc. I want to offer wedding ceremonies. Where I can set up a PA system in no time offering the clients clean audio for music tracks and clean and clear signal for speaking. I'd like to hook up a couple wireless microphones if the client would like me to mic anyone in the wedding. Having a small, lightweight PA system allows me to continue offering wedding receptions as well. As I can set up my reception equipment prior to heading to the chapel to offer my PA system. Then I can grab up my gear and head out the chapel quickly to my already set up reception equipment. Rather than having to breakdown the same equipment from the ceremony to the reception.

Also, I would like to use the system for small karaoke events. With a minimum of 3 microphone inputs.

Yes, the system will be used for outdoors as well. The area I'm looking at covering is hard to specify other than to say it needs to be heard at least in a chapel with approximately 100 guests.

I'll also want to use this same PA system for small public speaking events.

My budget is at $600 out the door.

I picked up the Matrix-200 for $429 out the door. I can pick up the STAGEPAS 300 for $439.

Thank you for any help.
  • Options
    My brother-in-law has one of these.
    http://www.musicgoround-cary.com/servlet/Detail?no=266
    He has been a musician for 40 yrs and owns a studio. He thinks the sound is great (more Hi-Fi than PA). He bought his for his wife to to do karaoke at home and has used it for music play back at a funeral and there was tons of volume in a 40 x 80 chapel with 30 ft ceilings. It snaps together and rolls out.

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks DRA, but never heard of ALTO before and would be worried in going with this brand.

I do appreciate you alerting me to a PA system that has worked for your brother-in-law for a few years however.

Were you able to look at the data sheet on the Yamaha system? I didn't find one on the Matrix. At least not broken down the way that Yamaha had theirs in.

I'm also considering stepping up to the Yamaha STAGEPAS 500 as I want to be able to take on small house parties, back yard festivities, and beach parties where it doesn't require the use of my main system. Using a 500 watt system seems that it would allow me a little buffer in doing the above events. I don't know...maybe I'm over thinking again and should stick to a 200 - 300 watt system....
  • Options
    I feel the same about the B-52 brand (even though I've heard of them). Alto is part of the Yorkville family.
    You usually can't go wrong with Yamaha. Have you tried Peavey?
    So many descisions, so many options, so many variables, so many what if's.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    well, I have found that for that kind of gig I use these:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB212A ...33 lbs, crank pretty well, and when you add a sub, can carry a fairly large room. That is in fact my main DJ KJ portable rig.

Add a couple inexpensive speaker stands and a mixer and away you go. Those little systems don't even come close...

Although if I had had the choice when I bought I would have bought these:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB412DSP

and bit the bullet a bit price wise.

Gadget
  • Options
    Assuming that you have a mixer with the inputs you need, I agree with Gadget. I know that's not what you asked for, but hey...

DRA