Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Pre purchase questions

interestedinterested Posts: 5
Hello ~

Thinking of purchasing the driverack 260 w/rta and wondering about subs. Would the driverack work well with mackie powered sSRM 450's coupled with a live studio subs such as the KRK RP-10S Rokit Powered Subwoofers?

Or am I better of just using the mackies alone and skipping the subs all together? Also would be using the srm 350's (2) for monitors. Music would be blues/rock style.

Main objective is feedback suppression, and auto eq.

Thanks,

Kirk

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Those subs would never be able to keep up with the Mackies (unless that 10\" has a sensitivity rating of about 175db). You would need 6 or 8 of them.

The Auto-EQ is a \"useful\" tool within the parameters spelled out in the READ ME FIRST section above.

Can we assume that you are going to run mono (A for Mains and B for Monitors)? In your situation, that is what I would do.

You did the right thing by posting before you bought. You should read every post in the RMF section. The 260 is a great piece of gear, but it is not a magical fix-all.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    As Dra said.. but it would still do what you want within the limitations of the gear you have.... and improve your system by a lot I'm betting...

Gadget
  • Options
    Cool, thanks that helps alot. I have some reading to do. Am wondering now what a good choice for subs would be? (that don't weigh 400lbs and cost thou$ands, (if such a thing exists), or if just one descent one would be enough, or perhaps subs would be overkill for the small venues around here?
  • Options
    What kind of budget do you have for subs?

DRA
  • Options
    Under a grand I suppose. But again, would the subs make a world of difference in the sound compared to what the 450's can already do on their own? I hate to end up lugging around some huge subs if they make little overall difference or are unnecessary.

Still not done with reading, but must say I am a bit discouraged that the auto eq function appears to be useless for use in a room. From the FAQ I noticed that it appears to only work \"ok\" in an outside venue where there are no people! Who ever plays a gig like that? What is the point? Am I misinterpreting something? Given this info, perhaps I have no need for this unit. Maybe the feedback suppression would be worth it getting the unit for? Does that function work as advertised, and is the rta mic required for that? Forgive me if I am misinterpreting the reality of what this thing can do, I still have much reading to do.

Sounds extremely complicated to figure out. Perhaps the pipe dream of what the unit advertises it can do was what drew me in, and the reality is a way different story. And all that being said, I am going to continue to read and learn. I am grateful for the enormous learning resources regarding sound that are cited, and I will continue to stay open to weather this purchase makes sense for me.
  • Options
    A good sub will make a huge difference. 1 - in low-mid and vocal clarity. 2 - in sub 70hz region.

Mackie probably makes a decent sub for your application. The Yorkville LS800P get high praise on PSW and has 1500w. It is just under $1000.

If you get subs you'll need a cross-over.
    You'll need a 1/3 octive EQ.
    You'll need a delay if you wish to align the tops to the sub(s).
    You'll want help with feedback.
    You'll want brickwall limiting.
    You'll want individual output PEQs to tame natural speaker problem.
    You'll need Auto EQ to tame the speaker's problems.
    You'll want Auto EQ to help balance the whole system and cross-over interaction.

Auto EQ has to be used in context. Outdoors is where it can be used at face value and excels.

I have had mine for several years now and have not regretted it once.

DRA
  • Options
    Hi DRA ~

Thanks again for your patience with my lack of knowledge. Your points are well taken. I am gathering the auto EQ serves well to set up the system initially, and is not necessarily intended for use during live indoor performances. Would that be accurate?

So yes, I am still interested and will continue to work towards educating myself on all matters regarding live sound.
  • Options
    You are accurate in your reply. Even indoors, there are uses as defined in the RMF for the Auto-EQ.

Also, if you are paying more than $700 - $725 for the 260, keep looking.

The main reason that we harp on the Auto-Eq, is that if you plug it in and \"EQ the room\", you will likely blow a gasket (in your head) , beacuse your sound may suck from what the Auto-Eq CAN do.

DRA