Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

Uneven signal at driverack

boog75boog75 Posts: 20
edited June 2008 in PA Connectivity
I have noticed that I have a stronger signal strength on the left side of my drive rack? Pan is set center on board. I have been playing with the eq ,have I or can you EQ the left and right seperate and if so mybe I have them uneven? thx Boog :?: :?:

Comments

• Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    Greetings boog75

A little more info would be good please
    have a stronger signal strength on the left side of my drive rack
    Input or output meters?
    Pan is set center on board

What are you sending to the DRPA? Mics CD Ipod??
    Have you switched inputs to driverack and checked that the input signal is same level?? Left and right input levels
    I have been playing with the eq
    on DRPA or Desk??
    can you EQ the left and right seperate and if so mybe I have them uneven
    Yes you can if they are \"unlinked\"

What set up are you using? 2x2 or 2x3 or 2x4 etc.
    What Desk are you using?
    If you can give more info than we will be better informed to help you

Mark
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    There are no gains on the EQ's. To try to boost the level by boosting EQ faders will be a MAJOR mistake.

DRA
  • Options
    My equipment:
    Eurorack UB2242FX-Pro board.
    2 JBL Pro MP215 Forward Speakers.
    2 JRX Pro 18\" Subs Cabs. 2 Crown XLS 402 Amp. 1 Crown XLS 602 Amp. Furman Power Conditioner QSC RMX 850 Amp. DBX Drive Rack System.
    Running 2x4.
    Signal meters on the board read even.
    This is live music,mics.
    Input meters on DRPA.
    DRPA.

I have not swithed inputs yet will try tonight at set up.
    I will check 'unlinked'.
    Please inform me 'whgat is desk?'.

thx,Greg
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    There are many things that can cause that. In order to trouble shoot that you would need some skill, and test equipment. You could however swap R&L mixer outputs and see if the problem follows...then DRPA outputs... to see if the problem follows... or, connect the two DRPA inputs with a 'Y' cable and verify that the DRPA is at fault... if that is the case then make sure all limiters are off, no Comp, eq off and inputs linked. If your talking about METER differences the front panel ones are barely usable.. the balistics are less than good...If your talking perceived loudness you need to verify that it isn't the speakers...by swapping and seeing if the problem follows... each and every cable also needs to be swapped (one at a time). There are so many variables...

Desk is the mixer...I don't trust mixer meters... BEH mixers are ....ok but not considered \"above reproach\" so even thought the meters say that the sound is even you still need to verify everything I spoke of. It could be anything...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Thanks Guys,

I will continue to check these thoughts out tonight as I will be set up.

I am still in a learning mode on the DRPA ,I have read all the info on this forum which has been a great help. I think I read on here about a CD disc that my have info? Can you advise.

thx,Greg 'Boog'
  • Options
    I think I read on here about a CD disc that my have info? Can you advise.

Do you mean the Bink's CD? (sweeps, pink noise, tones, etc?)

DRA
  • Options
    That may be what I seen, I thought maybe there was a dvd (sorry not cd) that had some visual set up stuff on it. thx Greg
  • Options
    Update on uneven input signal.

After running the system for awhile the left side was strong on input to the DRPA,so I swithed the inputs right and left.Still the left side was strong on input tro the DRPA.
    It appears my Board may be the issue as I had to pan the channels just a notch and a half to even up the input into the DRPA (I do not have seperate faders for right and left). Your thoughts?

thx Greg
  • Options
    Are you saying that the strong signal followed the left output cable from the mixer? And that you completely swapped the cables (not just one end)?
    Can you give us am idea of the volume difference? Twice as loud, just a little bit louder, what?

DRA
  • Options
    I switched the right and left outputs to the DRPA at the board only.
    The volume level on the left stands out very clearly when you are in dead center of the listening area.

As I stated I panned about one and a half notches on the dial to compensate.
    One thing I am going to look at today is the two cable output cables from board to the DRPA are not the same make. Lenght is the same just different makes.?
  • Options
    Ok guys I had a chance today to to switch the right cable and left cable totally at desk and DRPA. Guess what the problem went to the right side now (was left). Both cables are the same type and length.? Thx, Greg
  • Options
    Followed the cable...it's the cable, pull the ends one may be reverse wired, or may have a slight resistance ( a thin shield, a tiny strand of wire shorting out...) Even brand new cables can be bad. With the literally thousands of cables I own it is a never ending job keeping them repaired and \"up to snuff\" 8). Why just last night I built a few, repaired a few, and was kept busy all night long. I don't know about where you folks are... but here between the Gas prices, the cigarette ban and the police, the bars are morbid at best. Another one is going down the 15th of this month... (actually my old venue... again.. the former owner re-opened it and is giving up the ghost...It's pathetic...

Gadget

Not trying to \"bust your chops\" here but you stated:

\"One thing I am going to look at today is the two cable output cables from board to the DRPA are not the same make. Lenght is the same just different makes.?\"

and then you said:

\"Both cables are the same type and length.? Thx, Greg\"

Which is it?
  • Options
    Thank You ,I will check cables and replace or fix.

I was working a show last night and in the darkness of the stage I thought the cables appeared different,they were not after setting the system back up at home today I found that out.
    I guess I was trouble shooting on the fly last night!

Thanks for the help and I am sure as I go along with learning the DRPA I will have more questions!

Thx Greg
  • Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    There is that
    \"up to snuff\" .

again :lol::lol:

I use a tester that is very good and cheep

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SICT

Keeps my cables

\"up to snuff\"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Mark

PS
    Ever thought how much money we have tied up in just patch cables??
    Must be thousands :o:(
  • Options
    Yes Mark...I did that just for you :lol: and you are \"right as rain\" :!:

I know that when I moved it was 6 tubs of them...and thats just the fixed install...

This is what I use...
    http://www.audiopile.net/products/Elect ... tsheet.asp

Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget, I ordered the Bugcather, both looked good but the bugcather won out. Thanks for the advise. Greg