Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

Set up for crossover, limiters, and compressor settings

DJ BradDJ Brad Posts: 8
edited June 2008 in PA Configuration Wizard
Set up for crossover, limiters, and compressor settings for DJ set up and when I also mix a small local band using two EAW tops FR153z and two EV subs QRx118S, one Mackie FR2500?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ok...This isn't going to fly here...you must first go to the \"Read me first before posting\" and specifically the \"FAQ\" section and read what is posted there... ESPECIALLY where info provided is concerned... The fact that you want to \"compress\" an already ultra compressed medium... well it's crazy...and the setup for live and DJ might need to be different presets. But the main thing is you need to do your homework... we can't, and won't do it all for you...

For example... you can't use a compressor AND a limiter together...and compressors for whole mix live setups are not advised...

Crossover point is tied to driver size, and power

Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget, take a deep breath relax man.
    I have already read those facts you are referring me to, If you could kindly go over with me the Settings for crossover, limiters, and compressor settings a small local band using two EAW FR153z and two EV subs QRx118S, one Mackie FR2500?

I also need DJ crossover settings crossover settings for my PA system above.

These are the specs for my equipments:

EAW FR153z

PERFORMANCE
    Frequency Response (1 W @ 1m)
    ±3 dB 60 Hz to 18 kHz
    -10 dB 48 Hz
    Axial Sensitivity (dB SPL, 1 Watt @ 1m)
    Full Range 97
    Impedance (Ohms)
    Full Range 8
    Power Handling, AES Standard (Watts)
    Full Range 500
    Calculated Maximum Output (dB SPL)
    Full Range Peak 130.0
    Full Range Long Term 124.0
    Nominal Coverage Angle, -6 dB Points (degrees)
    Conical 100
    Recommended High-Pass Frequency
    24 dB/Octave 40

EV QRX 118s

Specifications
    Frequency Response (-3dB) 45 - 150 Hz
    Recommended crossover frequency range 100 Hz, 24 dB/Octave
    Recommended High-pass frequency 36 Hz, 12 dB/Octave minmum
    Long-term power handling 600 watts
    Short-term power handling 24,00 watts
    Frequency Response (-10dB) 38 - 250 Hz
    Sensitivity 1W/1m 98 dB
    Max. SPL / 1m (calc); full space 131 dB
    Low Frequency Power Handling (continuous/program/peak) 600/1200/2400 Watts
    LF Transducer EVX180B
    LF Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
    Color Black
    Color White
    Flying No
    Input Connections Parallel Neutrik® NL4
    Outdoor No
    Chassis Size 18 inches
    Speaker Type Subs
    Weight Net 45 kg ( 99.21 lbs )
    Dimensions (HxWxD) 902 x 450 x 599 mm
    (35.51\" x 17.72\" x 23.58\")
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The subs have given you a recommended x-over freq / slope. 100hz LR24. The HPF is also listed. That is where I'd start.
    Have you done the Gain Structure? (Detailed in the section yopu already read)
    You are the only one that can set the limiters (detailed in the section that you already read)

Do you have any more questions?

DRA
  • Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    Question

How are you powering the speakers. I assume that the EAW are off one side of the Mackie and the subs are off the other???

Mackie is 750 w into 4 ohm
    http://mackie.com/pdf/FRSeries_OM.pdf

Suspect you are under power in the subs if this is how you are wiring them up
    The power of the amps is relevant in determine to crossover point.

Recommended crossover frequency range 100 Hz, 24 dB/Octave

Mark
  • Options
    Wayyyyy under powered...unless your doing very small venues.... thats only 375 watts per FRZ which would like to see more like 1000-1500 watts, and as the info provided says 2400 for the subs...I don't think you understand... we don't recommend using compressors on a whole mix basis...The limiter in your case will not protect the system...you are so under powered you will end up squashing the output, which increases the average duty cycle and actually damaging the speakers...

But with the info provided cross the subs and FVZ @ about 120 hz. If you do a proper gain structure you will know exactly where the system clips, and if your smart you'll give the system 6-10 db of headroom below clip... there are fairly complex formula's for figuring limiter settings...but they are only as good as the limiter.. and in this case the DRPA's is not the best at that purpose.

The brevity of your post was the reason I jumped you... one of the first lines of the \"read me first\" section says that we need info... if it's not provided you won't get answers... simple as that...we should not be expected to look up the equipment and specs, and we prefer specific questions.. not open ended all encompassing questions....some people expect us to do all the work... were all volunteers here.
    G
  • Options
    OK,thank you for the inputs I got from you guys. I read your suggestions. It is no problem I will use a QSC RX 24500 for the two FRZ tops and the Mackie FR 2500 for he two EV QRX bottoms.
    Should i go stereo or mono?

QSC RMX 2450 specs:
    http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/rmx/rmx.htm
  • Options
    Well in mono you'll have about 1200 watts per cab....as opposed to under 500 in stereo. I run stereo but then I only run the effects stereo because if you pan the guitar to the side he's on the people on the other side if the room won't hear it...

Doesn't sound like much of a choice to me...

Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget, can i reverse it, instead of using the QSC 2450 for the EV QRx 118s bottoms. Can i use the Mackie instead. Will switching the switch to Mono instead of stereo will have the same effects where i will have 1200 Watts per cab?

Bridging Is different from switching from stereo to mono right?
  • Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    Bridging Is different from switching from stereo to mono right?

You need to do some home work on this subject.

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/

This is a good place to start. There is an artical on bridge amps

QSC 2450 =
    2400 W into 4 ohms (Bridge)
    500w into 8 ohm (stereo mode)

Mackie FR 2500 =
    2500w into 4 ohms Bridge)
    575 w into 8 ohm (stereo mode)

You can go either way with the amps

Some amps deliver better low freq than others. So Try both ways

Read this artical and get back to us with more questions :)

Mark
  • Options
    Fanman, thank you for that link on the literature of sound system man.

These are the settings I came up with according to my speakers, and Amps specs:

EAW FR 153z/ EV Sub QRX 118s Settings

EAW FR 153z- High 40 HZ BW 18 or try LR24 Gain 0 or 1.....3 Limiters Knee 4-threshold 1

Low-crossover @ 100 Hz BW 18 or try LR24

EV QRx 118s subs - Low @ 36 Hz or try LR24 Gain 0 or 1...3 Limiters Knee 4-Threshold1

Now, can i get some mannual suggested settings for the EQ Section (28-GEQ and PEQ) in the driverack?
  • Options
    I just read from the EAW forum that the FR153z do not need to be equalized from the Driverack because they are already built to sound good. The only thing that they need Is the crossover part to use with subs.

X-Over

L-35.5-LR24-Gain 0 Limiter Overeasy 4-Threshold 4

Crossover-L 100-LR24

H-100 BW18-Gain 0 Limiter Overeasy 4-Threshold 4

No need to use the Equalizer settings for those speakers.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I'm sure that they do sound good. BUT, they are only rated +/-3db and that's a 6db swing. If you have the RTA mic you should still do your own measurement (outside in a wide open place without buildings). Then use the PEQ's to fix those little bumps and dips that the Auto-EQ shows you. You only have 3 filters, so be selective as to your needs.

Also try LR-24 for both the sub - top and top to sub filter type. Use BW-18 for the HPF (low cut) of the sub.

DRA
  • Options
    Yes and we discuss the reasons for these particular xover types and provide all the setup info in the READ ME FIRST section...It's best to not mix xover types on the same xover point.

This is the reason we ask people to read the FAQ section BEFORE posting. There's all the info you would have needed to do this...
    Crossover points and why we choose them..
    what factors figure into these xover points
    what the crossover types are
    how to Auto Eq, and why
    as well as a number of sound reinforcement principles...
    and a whole host of links, like the one Mike (Fanman) gave you.

It's all there...

Every speaker mfg says that their speakers are flat response... those with frequency plots only measure a single cabinet and thats not a very big cross section, and no matter how good the quality control is there is a fair deviation in every driver that means that each speaker is a little different.

This is why I ask people to read...

Gadget
  • Options
    Thank you Gadget, Dra, Fanman20 for all your help and support. I will try all the suggestions you have mentioned to me above and report back to you at a later date!