Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

QSC GX5 SETTING IN DRIVERACK PA

quanah1953quanah1953 Posts: 2
edited June 2008 in PA Configuration Wizard
ANY FIND A GOOD SETTING IN THE AMP SECTION SELECTION FOR THE DRIVRACK PA FOR A QSC GX5?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Thats a pretty cryptic... (and all caps is considered YELLING) message... If you are asking for amp sensitivity settings....you need to go to the \"read me first... BEFORE posting\" and read what we need to give you an answer...

Gadget
  • Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    I thought you understood cryptic G.
    8) 8)
  • Options
    Actually, Gadget...I did check the 'read me first' lists before I posted. Sorry about all the caps.

All I am trying to find out if there is any preset that is close to the QSC GX5 in the Driverack that anyone might be using so that I dont have to use the custom feature. If not, thats cool. Just thought Id check first.

Thanks
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I'm not sure what Gadget was implying by saying, \"Cryptic\".
    If... that the amp was old and should be buried, or..
    If... the question was unclear and therefore \"Encrypted\".

Either way, Gadget was being \"encryptic\" when he asked you to read the READ ME FIRST section, because in there is a discusion of the AMP PRESETS. Specifically that they are not really reliable (next to useless) and since you need to do a manual gain structure set-up, really are but a marketing tool.

If it is that important to you then take the specs of your amp and find an amp (preferably a QSC) that has similar stats and go with that. Then after all that trouble, do a manual gain structure and limiter set-up.

DRA
  • Options
    that someone here was using a QSC GX5 and could tell me what he was using. Thats why I posted it. Ive read and re-read the FAQ section and I understand most of it to some degree. Im not as well versed as Gadget, obviously in the settings. Ive tried the MRX515 factory setting. Didnt much care for it.

However, here is my setup:

2 JBL MRX515 and 1 JBL528S going stereo into the driverack. QSC 2450 for the 515s and QSC GX5 for the 528S. Using the PEQ and the Compressor and Limiter as well.
    Ive set up and done everything BUT the RMA as I dont have an RMA mic, nor the ability to do a AutoEQ setup anywhere. I wish I could.

I have a Mackie Onyx 24.

Thanks guys..any help would be appreciated. :)
  • Options
    I recommend putting the GX5 on the 515's. Put the RMX (bridged) on the 528.
    You will be still under powered (by the same amount) for your tops, but the 528's are 2000w program and you can now give them 2400w (instead of 700w). All things considered, that is a nice match (Gadget will still say that you are still under powered, but you will run out of gas with your tops way before then.)
    You still need to do a gain structure set-up as described and set the limiters (especially the tops) to allow NO clipping.

In the wizard, just call the GX5 an 2450 and set the sub amp as bridged. The wizard will set the x-over to 81hz. #1 - that is not very good. #2 - because of you low power to the 515's change it to 118 hz for the sub and 125 for the tops.(or something like that) I'd also raise the HPF for the sub to 40 or 45hz.

Don't use the compressor. It can be hazarous to your amps and especailly speakers. It also changes the nature of music as intended.

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks DRA...that does help a LOT. So, dont use the limiter nor the compressor?
  • Options
    i read where the PEQ isnt needed when using the Wizard settings for JBL speakers that are in the menu
  • Options
    You still need to do a gain structure set-up as described and set the limiters (especially the tops) to allow NO clipping.
    Definately use the limiters. Don't use compression.

Report back on your progress.

DRA
  • Options
    oops...your right..i missed it. ok..ill set the limiters and disable compression. i was hoping to use compression to even out the vocals as there are four vocalists and the lead singer uses very good dynamics and therefore the quiet passages are lost..but if that is what i need to do, then i will.

thanks again, DRA. i hope i can set the limiters correctly. :)
  • Options
    i read where the PEQ isnt needed when using the Wizard settings for JBL speakers that are in the menu

That's not neccessarily true. Speakers are typically rated to be flat +/-3db. Well, that means that there can be (and are) differences of 6db. That means that 500hz can be twice as loud as 630hz and still remain within the standard for the speaker. This can happen all up and down the full spectrum. The PEQ's (when using the Auto-EQ and the RTA mic) can fix up to 3 problems in the high output and up to 2 each on the mid and lo outputs. The Peq's main purpose is to \"flatten\" the response of the cabinent to not only +/-3db, but to +/-2db, +/-1db, or even -0- in rare cases. They are more suited to tailoring individual drivers (bi-amp). They are very useful in a passive cab (yours).

DRA
  • Options
    sounds like i need to get a RTA
  • Options
    oops...your right..i missed it. ok..ill set the limiters and disable compression. i was hoping to use compression to even out the vocals as there are four vocalists and the lead singer uses very good dynamics and therefore the quiet passages are lost..but if that is what i need to do, then i will.

Think about it. If you compress the mix, what is most likely to trigger it? Snare?, kick?, a screaming vocalist? Yes, to all these. Well, when ANY of these (or others) tiggers the compression, everything in the mix is squashed. If the snare triggers while the singer is singing softly, then EVERYTHING is reduced. If a singer is extra loud and the band is playing soft, the band could be completely squashed out. Compression should be used for individual mixer inputs only. Limiting is purely for speaker protection. Now if you were to use the the DRPA for a single vocal only, like a preacher that at times whispers and at times screams, then compression (with under threshhold gain) is definately the ticket. But not is a band situation.

DRA
  • Options

This function is designed for outdoor testing only. There is an indoor method, but outdoor is best.

DRA
  • Options
    Technically speaking...the Auto EQ was designed to help with room equalization...BUT there are too many factors that make this a hit or miss proposition at best...A good room doesn't require much EQ and a bad room will be butchered by the Auto Eq... especially in the bass region.. in rooms with even dimensions and low ceilings. Or in highly reflective rooms where cancellations can really mess up the high frequencies...As we reported in the RMF section the 170-700 hz region is where the auto EQ works best.

Compression should be used on an individual channel basis only...
    PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 9:32:52 GMT Standard Time Post subject:

I don't understand? The Driverack has an RTA... did you mean a mic?
    G
  • Options
    ok...DRA. makes sense. one thing, i assume that ill have to alter the x-over key from 81hz to 118 for the 528s and 125 for the 515s? the high pass filter on the low outputs on the x-over is what you mean? correct?
  • Options
    Correct.

DRA
  • Options
    DRA...well one thing I made a huge mistake on..I have one JBL 518s not 528s. :(
  • Options
    4 ohm
    Power Capacity 500 W / 1000 W / 2000 W
    (Continuous / Program / Peak): 400 W / 800 W / 1600 W

Change the HPF to 45hz.

Gadget, 2400w into this cab?

DRA
  • Options
    perhaps the x-over points will not need to be changed since im using a 518s. and perhaps i shouldnt bridge either?

QSC 2450 Bridged: 2400W @ 4 ohm
    JBL MRX 518S: 4 ohm 400/800/1600
  • Options
    Hopefully Gadget will chime in.
    IF you don't bridge, keep the RMX for sub duty.
    IF you don't bridgeAND move the x-over, don't go below 100 / 102hz

DRA
  • Options
    thanks a bunch DRA..its very appreciated. im sorry for the misinfo.

so, here is what i should do if i stay bridged:

In the wizard, just call the GX5 an 2450 and set the sub amp as bridged. The wizard will set the x-over to 81hz. #1 - that is not very good. #2 - because of you low power to the 515's change it to 118 hz for the sub and 125 for the tops.(or something like that) I'd also raise the HPF for the sub to 45hz.

and here is what i should do if i dont bridge:

set x-over @ 100-120hz
  • Options
    Yes.

DRA
  • Options
    oops...i mean keep x-over points @ 118hz for sub and 125 for tops as you mentioned earlier?
  • Options
    IF you don't bridge, you are now MORE under-powered that the tops. So, I'd drop the x-over to 100hz (maybe 90hz).

DRA
  • Options
    ok...i think i understand a bit better.

if i dont bridge, ill set x-over @ 90-100 for subs and 120 or so for tops and 45hz for HPF

if gadget says ok on bridging, then keep at 118 for subs and 125 for tops
  • Options
    that will mean:

QSC GX5: 500W into 8 ohms DRPA: 120/125 x-over point

QSC 2450: 750 into 4 ohms DRPA: 90-100 x-over point
    45hz HPF

What do you think, DRA? :)
  • Options
    Sounds good.
    DRA
  • Options
    Hi guys..
    I guess I'd run the tops stereo and go with a higher xover point...I like the sound of the 2450 in stereo better for tops anyway...I'd probably suggest 114 for the subs and 118 for the tops...LR24 and as Dra said BW18@ 45 hz and bridge the sub amp...

G
  • Options
    Gadget, the GX5 is not bridgeable. (at least no spec listed for bridging or for 2 ohm stereo)
    Now what do you say?

DRA