Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

PEQ-lists?

RogerGuitarmanRogerGuitarman Posts: 9
edited June 2008 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hi there. I´m new to this forum and really learning allot from you guys.
I have a question about the PEQ in my DRPA.

Are there SPECIFIC settings for different speakers?
(Are my ears not good enugh reference for good sound :lol: )
And if so where do you get your hands on that kind of information?

I use a pair of Peavey SP3 in a biamp mode as tops
and a pair of MACH 218 equipped with Beyma 550 as subs.
The rig is powerd with LabGruppen 1000, LabGruppen 2000c and
a LabGruppen 4000.

Cheers
Roger

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    If the manufacturer provides them then it is just a matter of determining which are the most important (if you need more than 3 for the Hi's and 2 for the mids ...with the DRPA) (4 per band with the 260) and enter in the info. If there isn't any provided then it's a process of balance, gain structure and Auto EQ passes outdoors away from all reflective surfaces, or using the \"New indoor AutoEQ method as delineated in the FAQ section of READ ME FIRST before posting...then transfering that info to the PEQ,s and then re-auto EQing to see if the changes worked to flatten the speakers. Here we're working toward a -0- (precurve) or flat frequency response.

Those amp numbers don't jive with anything I have so thats not useful in determining a crossover point for the subs and mids...
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You can download the peavey controller and your presets here.
    http://www.peavey.com/support/software/ ... resets.cfm

Here is what Peavey says...
    Bi-amp (no sub)
    Horn
    F1 - 800hz -3db Q.5
    F2 - 8800hz -3db Q.5
    x-over - 300hz LR12 0db

Low
    F1 - 125hz +8db lo shelf
    F2 - 630hz -3db Q1
    x-over - 800hz (yes 800) LR24 -3db
    Delay - 0.27ms

Here is what Peavey says...
    Tri-amp (with 2 x 18 subs)
    Horn
    F1 - 630hz -5db Q.8
    F2 - 2320hz +2.5db Q.7
    F3 - 9700 -3db Q1.2
    x-over - 300hz LR12 +1.5db

Mid
    F1 - 400hz -2.5db Q.5
    x-over -
    100hz LR24
    800hz (yes 800) LR24 -2db
    Delay - 0.25ms

Sub
    on your own.

Good luck.

DRA
    Hey Dra... seems you are in disbelief of that 800 hz xover point....that SP 3 is a three way cab with a 6.5\" cone midrange on a waveguide with a phase plug. So they provide a passive Xover between the upper mid and the HF horn so that the speaker can be bi-amped.

Depending on the configuration, and actual amp power...(in stereo you'd be under powered...) so you'll probably end up around 120 hz The READ ME FIRST section has all the info necessary for this.
    G
    What I was clarifying was that yes there was a 500hz OVERLAP from the Mid to High outputs. They obviously want 2 components to produce that 500hz span. A \"throw\" or \"dispersion\" thing? Ideas? There is a 40hz overlap between the sub and mid.

DRA
  • Thanks for the answers.
    But I´m a bit confused over the last reply from DRA.
    Does it really matter if two speakers share some frequensies?
    I´ve heard about cancelation but is there a risk of that in this case?

Cheers
    Roger
    In this instance they may be combining in the horn, and creating a coherent wave front... Naw... that has to be a misprint...

What we need is the actual amp models or the 4/8 ohm and bridged mono power @ the same impedance to determine a xover...

What happens when two drivers in the same location(close proximity) reproduce the same frequency's simply put cancellations occur which cause intelligibility of sound to become compromised...and yes ... with that much overlap, there is a great deal of certainty that will happen...

Gadget
    It wasn't printed. I pulled it from the GUI x-over screen (numeric and graphic data).

DRA
    I couldn't even get into the %$@#**$!#@&#R(&$*(!%#$ manuals to see if there was a tri/amp capability...DAMN they have me ticked off! I can't believe 500hz overlap... thats crazy... maybe someone should post this on the Peavey forum...I don't seem to be able to get much off the site that is nested...

G
  • Hi guys.
    Specs for the amps are:
    Lab1000:
    2 x 350 W into 8 W
    2 x 550 W into 4 W
    2 x 675 W into 2 W
    at clip level with both
    channels driven

Lab 2000:
    2x1000 W into 8 W
    2x1400 W into 4 W
    2x1400 W into 2 W
    at clip level with two
    channels driven

Lab4000:
    2x1300 W into 8 W
    2x2100 W into 4 W
    2x2400 W into 2 W
    at clip level with two
    channels driven

These are RMS powerratings.

Are you saying that the crossoverratings are wrong on the Peavey-website?
    Yes...

So are the Bridged 4 ohm ratings double the 4 ohm stereo ratings?

Gadget
  • More specs on the amps:)

Lab 1000:
    http://www.labgruppen.com/media/Lab1000 ... +specs.pdf

Lab 2000:
    http://www.labgruppen.com/media/Lab2002 ... +specs.pdf

Lab 4000:
    http://www.labgruppen.com/media/Lab4000 ... +specs.pdf

Dont be afraid of the links above, they are only two pages long and quite
    easy to understand ;)
  • I´m allso a tad frustrated at the fact that I cant open
    peaveys spec-files that DRA spoke about. I dont have
    the correct software to open them :(

Cheers
    Roger
    Go to the link I sent earlier. Under \"Software\" (note how close that is to soft underwear) dowload and install the pc or mac version as it applies to you. Then you can open the \"Preset\" files directly from the link page or from the location that you saved them to with the software's \"open\".

DRA
    So as I look at the speaker I see a horn loaded midrange...the thing about horns is they have a low frequency cutoff... below which the horn will not operate. I'm betting that cuttoff is 500 hz in that horn...That said, perhaps that has something to do with that 500 hz spread but I still wouldn't do it...

With 380 watts per channel in stereo you are limited at best... double that would be good, and thats what you get in Bridged mode...

With 1000 watts per speaker in Stereo... again you'd be lacking, and would have to compensate in xover point (raise the xover pointbetween sub and lomid) In bridged mono you could cross lower, giving a cleaner tighter sound.

Same story with the subs...(I suspect since I have no idea what happened when you put in a speaker that the cabinet wasn't designed for...)

That stated:
    RUNNING THE AMPS STEREO...
    HPF the subs @ 45 hz BW18
    LPF is again tied to the Lo mids...(just below) 120 hz LR24

RUNNING THE AMPS BRIDGED MONO
    ______________________________...
    Cross the Lo mid to passively crossed hi pack @600-650 hz LR24
    Run the lo mids HPF 100 hz LR24 to whatever the above is (or better just below)again LR24
    LPF the sub again @ 45 hz BW18 HPF LPF @ (again just below)100hz LR24
    Depending on if the subs are 4, or 8 ohms...( you can run 2 ohm stereo, but not below 4 ohms bridged...)

The latter would give the best performance BY FAR... BUT would also draw SIGNIFICANTLY more power from the wall... (edison)

Gadget
  • Thank´s guys for your help.
    I will try the settings you´ve suggested.
    I will now dig further into the DRPA to make my rigg
    sound it´s best.
    Once again thank you.

Cheers
    Roger