Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

What is the difference between Auto EQ frequency responses?

ecordeddieecordeddie Posts: 9
edited June 2008 in PA Configuration Wizard
Page 8 of the manual for the Driverack PA indicates:

\"You can now select any one of the several different Frequenty responses for the Auto EQ. The options are Flat (0), and Response A-D...etc\"

So what the difference between then???

Thanxs

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    As you scroll through them it will show you on the screen. In theory it is to tailor the sound to a particular type of music, that is to say, enhances certain frequency bands to accenuate the type sound that you are going for. Typically if the speaker system is flat (all sounds produced at the level that they were recorded at) all should be good for your mix. Most use the -0- (flat) setting for this reason. Most of us that grew up in the age of the home or car graphic EQ were trained to automatically create a disco smile, to enhance the bass and treble and cut the mids. Just experiment with the different settings and see if you like one over the other. Just remember if choosing an A - D curve that any frequencies that are pushed above a -0- end result will be prone to feedback.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    If I may interject...I would prefer to think of the -0- or flat response (no) curve, as all frequencies being represented equally, with NO hype/boost or cut done to any frequency. This is particularly helpful in \"live\" or \"reverberant\" rooms, like Gymnasiums, or churches with lots of concrete and windows. Another use for this is as a preset for comparison of what the auto EQ is doing to the sound... which can provide incite to why the Auto EQ is butchering your sound...

The \"Read me first\" section has much more on this...

Gadget