Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Crossover frequency for sub Dynacord C15-1

SlavekSlavek Posts: 9
edited June 2008 in PA General Discussion
Does anyone knows the crossover frequency for Dynacord subwoofer C15-1 in a 2-way stereo configuration?

The C15-1 has a passive crossover at 160 Hz.

Thanks for your help.

Slavek

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    If your asking what frequency we suggest for the crossover, and HPF, we need to know how much power you have for the subs and what tops you have an what amps...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    Links to the specs of your gear would be helpfull.
    The more information the better

Mark
  • Options
    T.amp 2400 MK-X for the subs, 2x1200 W/4 Ohms, T.amp 1400 MK-X for the tops, 2x450 W/8 Ohms.

On each side:
    - 2 x Dynacord C15-1 sub, 8 Ohm, 400 W RMS, 800 W program power, SPL 1W/1m 100 dB Max. SPL 1m (Cont. Prog.) 129 dB Frequency range ( -10 dB ) 48 Hz - 280 Hz Components Lo Electro-Voice DL15Y (361 142) Connections 2 x SPEAKON NL4MP
    - 1 x Zeck Vector T3 top, 8 Ohm, 300 W RMS, 123 dB Max. SPL 1m, 55-20000 Hz
  • Options
    Well, unfortunately you are under powered... especially to the tops. This will require you to raise the crossover point due to limited power...Probably to the 118 hz @LR24 with a \"out\" (allowing the speaker to reproduce all the frequencies it can on the high end) as the LPF.

Cross the subs @ 110-114 with an LR 24 slope and a 45 hz hipass with BW 18 filter. Have no way to look up those speakers...

Gadget
  • Options
    Why underpowered? Zeck tops are 300 W RMS on 8 Ohms and the T.amp is 450 W pro chanel, also on 8 Ohms?

Gadget, what do you mean with \"Have no way to look up those speakers... \"?

What do you sugest? Another amps? How much power? Another pair of tops to match with the dynacord subs?

Thanks for your sugestions, Slavek
  • Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    Hi Slavek

Again Do you have Links to the specs of your gear. :?: :?: :?:

Web sites / pdf / tech info???

Haven't heard of T.amp 2400 MK-X
  • Options
    The specifications of the speakers are written above, of the amps are as followed:

THE T.AMP TA2400 MK-X

the t.amp TA2400 mk-X power amplifier - 2x 1200W/4 Ohm, 2x 650W/8 Ohm RMS, 19\", input sensitivity 0,775V, slew rate 60V/µs, damping factor: 500:1/1kHz/8Ohm, short circuit protection, limiter, THD <0.05%/1kHz, 2U. In: jack+XLR, out: Speakon & binding post. Depth: 44cm. Weight: 23kg. Very good quality/value ratio!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/t-amp_ta2400.htm

THE T.AMP TA1400 MK-X

the t.amp TA1400 MK-X power amplifier - 2x700W/4Ohm, 2x 450W/8Ohm, 0.775V input sensitivity, 40V/µs slew rate, 350:1/1kHz/8Ohm damping factor, short circuit protection, limiter, THD <0,05%/1kHz, jack & XLR inputs, Speakon & binding post outputs. Depth: 44cm, 2U. Weight: 26kg. Very good value!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/tamp_ta1400_amplifier.htm
  • Options
    Slavek...
    It's called headroom.. and those amps won't have it...For instance the:
    Zeck Vector T3 top, 8 Ohm, 300 W RMS
    Thats 300 watts RMS, 600 program, 900-1200 watts peak, you have a PEAK power of 450 watts with that amp in stereo. That means that as the music gets cooking and the average power used by the speakers increases. the power supply in the amps starts to get exhausted... this causes the normally smooth sign wave to flatten out on the top and bottom. This is also considered DC voltage and really starts to get the voice coils hot...if this continues the coils over heat, distort or burn and you have to buy new speakers, or have them re-coned. Now with an amp that has enough power, you don't have the power supply exhaustion, and you have far less heating in the voice coils....People are mislead to believe that 20 watt amp will not blow up a 100 watt speaker, when the opposite is really the case.. a 1000 watt amp is FAR less likely to damage a 100 watt speaker.

The rule of thumb that Crown International uses is 2 to 4 TIMES the RMS rating of the speaker...And it is universally understood that a speaker wire should be of 12 average wire gage for anything over a very short run, and even short runs at high power should be the same.

As for the speakers... the only thing our internet gave me was a single page with the T3amplified speakers... and that was in German? Which I don't read or speak...And as fior the Dynacord subs, the closest I could find were sub 115's and those are 300 watt models...I even looked under Cobra subs...

So if your running 2 subs per side they would be getting 600 watts each speaker... again under powered. To get optimum performance, again, 400/800/1600 watts PER cabinet...so, as I said your under powered all the way around I would be comfortable with the settings I provided previously...

Gadget