Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Need crossover points for JBL PRX512, 518 speakers

gildedgilded Posts: 3
Hi fellas,

My name's Harry, from down in Texas and I am a Total Newb'! Just bought a 260, along with the DBX RTA mic. Don't have a PC for the GUI stuff, (just Apple computers) so I'm working my way through that issue, but it will take some time and more money!

I bought a 260 because the DBX tech I talked to on the phone said the Analogue/Digital converters in the 260 just plain sounded better than the ones in the PX or the PA. A guy I know who replaced his DRPA with a 260 agreed with that assessment.

I've read a lot of the 'read me first' info and it has certainly opened my eyes to the steep learning curve. In fact, I've even outlined one of the posts about HPF, LPF and the different types of filters (Butterworth, etc.)! For what it's worth, I figure I'll be re-reading that stuff for about the next three months!

Anyway, here's the backstory: I'm 55 and have an old-guy 3 or 4 piece band that does Classic Rock and a few Jazz Standards. We use an Allen & Heath MixWiz3 16:2 mixer, (2) JBL PRX 512 & (2) 518 powered speakers, Shure PSM200 in ear monitors, Shure Beta Mics for the vocals (and SM57s to mic the drums and amp cabs). We use a Radial D2 passive DI for the keys and a Radial J48 active DI for the Electric Bass. The guitar player (me) uses a 2x10 30 watt Fender amp with a ClearSonic 4-piece lucite shield in front of it and two absorbent material panels behind it.

On to my initial query: X-over points for the PRX 512m speaker in conjunction with the PRX 518s subs.

I've seen some X-over point suggestions for the JBL PRX tops and subs, but not with the 12\" speaker models, just the 15\" speaks. Should I be crossing them over at the same spots, or someplace different?

In closing, a brief note to Messers. Gadget and Dra; thanks fellas, I've seen how much you help people, cause I've read an awful lot of the old posts. I'll certainly try not to waste your time over things that I could look up first. In fact, I did a 'search' on PRX512, PRX512m, 512m, etc. and couldn't come up with anything on point re the X-over points. Went to JBL, too, but couldn't find anything. Them %^*& Newbs!

Thanks, Harry

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Actually Harry it should read %#@#%@^% JBL! After digging and digging.. I found that if you press the crossover button in you will get a 110hz 48 db/octave filter.. I would assume Butterworth type. So as for the fact that the speakers are 12\" the 512M is +- 3db @ 76-20k...so theoretically...the 110hz xover point would be ok, I would suggest however that you try 114 hz for the subs..LR24 and the tops @ 118hz LR24 (I didn't add the tenths). That way you get the benefit of the higher crossover for greater midrange clarity and power...

see what you think..
    Gadget
  • Options
    gildedgilded Posts: 3
    Thanks, I'll give it a try! Sorry you had to dig so much!!