Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Input & output Question for DR260

keyman88keyman88 Posts: 32
I need some ideas on the best setup for my system.
I run it in mono and here's the gear I have for my band:

Allen & Heath 16:2 mixwizard
Mains: (2) JBL srx715
Monitors (2) EV sx200 & (2) TCS TM112 (400w @ 8 Ohms) (Carvin Proline)
Subs (1) EV QRX 218s & (1) Yorkville LS808p Powered sub
Amps (3) QSC plx3402
(1) QSC plx 3002
(2) QSC plx2 1804
I also have a few GEQ's and a presonus ac88 8 channel compression/gate unit(which I use on the individual inserts) and a TC electronics effects unit.
Should I use a GEQ inserted into the main Inserts for quick adjustments? Also if I want to use A GEQ on the monitors what is the best way to do that and should I bother?
I realize that I have more than enough amps & power, but I'm not sure of the setup for the programs. Here's what I'm thinking and hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction

I think that I should use the Left out of the Mixer into input 1 on the DR260 and a monitor send for input 2. Output 1 for the subs and output 2 for the mains (running full range) and output 3 & 4 for monitors. Does this sound ok? Should I run the mains Biamped, is there a big difference?
I'm just looking to make the best setup for the gear I have. Is what I described a 2x4 setup?
Any input is greatly appreciated ( including speaker/amp recommedations etc...)
P.s. I couldn't find the QSC 3402 and 3002 amps in the wizard. Can I use the new plx2 replacment specs or does anyone have the specs for the 3402 & 3002 amps
Thanks in advance!
Keyman88

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Well to make this short and sweet...

Bi-amp the tops YES it makes a HUGE difference...

Go for a 2X5 with 1 zone... which you can turn into a bandpass filter to run the monitors...run one sub off channel 4 and ther other off channel 5... DO NOT RUN THE SUBS TOGETHER... one on each side

The tunings for the DR260 and the 715's are here:
    http://www.jblpro.com/tunings/index.htm
    select srx700 series tunings
    select \"SRX700 Driverack 260 ...........................folder
    then SRX715Bsub.dwp
    or SRX715Psub.dwp
    maybe both...
    Import them into the 260 and load them.

use the \"config mode to set up a 1X5 for the input 1, input 2 to feed channel 6 for monitors

Be sure to store the setup.. it takes THREE presses of the store button and you need to answer the questions to properly identify and route the preset...

As for the amps...use one 3402 in bridged mono for the sub (the other is powered)

use 2, 3402's in bridged mono for the mids...
    use 3002 in stereo for the horns on the 715's and use the 2 1804's in bridged mode for the 2 monitors...

BTW ... you are FAR from over powered... so don't get too comfortable with that...

you still need to go to the \"read me first section\" and read all thats there...

Gadget
  • Options
    keyman88keyman88 Posts: 32
    Thanks for all of that info. I just got the unit and I'm not a seasoned sound guy, so I appreciate you bearing with me. I will try to read up on as much stuff as I can find before posting.
    What info do I need for my QSC plx 3402 &3002 amps to load into the DR260 since they're not in the Wizard.
    Thanks
    keyman88
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    As I said, go to the JBL site ...I gave you the address...open the link, select the Driverack 260 settings for the SRX 715 series speakers...there are 2 .dwp files... right click on each individually and 'extract to a specified folder' which you will create on the desktop.. I used the file name JBL... in the folder now you should have 2 files that say...
    SRX715BSUB.dwp
    SRX715PSUB.dwp

Next hook up the 260 and with the GUI running (when you have the 260 hooked up to the computer via the serial port and cable provided... the 260 icon will automatically appear when hooked up properly ..if not it will tell you no device is hooked up...) Open the GUI and right click on the top blue bar that says DriveRack260...you will see a drop down menu...select 'import program'....click on that and in the \"look in box\" locate the file on the desktop and open it...select the first one listed above by double clicking on it..the program is now in your Driverack and you can open it... It will assume the U1 program position...if you open it you will see it has you set up with a 9 band PEQ, no inserts, and a 3 way xover (biamp tops and subs) with a xover point of 88.4 hz for the subs and 91.0 hz for the tops, you will see a xover for the horn and a 16db cut for the horn (to account for it's efficiency (which tells me the woofers are particularly in-efficient) you will also see that the PEQ's are loaded and the alignment delays are also...

In the Config mode.. (press the config button) you can change the input PEQ to GEQ's (if you like) link and unlink... add inserts, re-distribute the delays.... etc...

You can now store that preset to the Driverack with 3 consecutive presses of the 'store' button... you will need to answer a few questions like ... where would you like to store the preset...name the preset... and do you really want to replace the current program at this location...

Don't forget the gain structure, and Auto EQ if you want to see how close JBL came with their preset...

Actually it looks like the other preset is for running the tops fullrange with a SUB...and has no PEQ's or delays...

And as for the amps... the gain structure will take care of that...If you wanted top know.. the QSC amps sensitivity is listed on the site.. here is the location of the PLX amps
    http://media.qscaudio.com/pdfs/plxspec.pdf

Gadget