Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

PA w/ Yamaha powered mixer & full range speakers

PrestocatPrestocat Posts: 5
edited July 2008 in PA Connectivity
I am having som connectivity issues with a powered mixer, a power amp and the PA.
Here is what I have:

Powered Mixer - Yamaha EMX5000-20
Mains Speakers - Yamaha S115V
Monitor Speakers -Yamaha SM15V
DBX Driverack PA - DBXPA
Crown XLS802D Power Amplifier

What I want to do is have independent volume control of the Mains and Monitors- both are full range cabs, and I want both to go through the Driverack. The Crown will power the Mains in stereo, the internal amp on the mixer will power the Monitors in mono.

So far, I have the DR PA coming after the mixer's stereo outs, between the mixer and power amp. I send the hi output to the power amp, although I set the crossover points flat, so everything gets a full range signal. I send the low output back to the mixer's 'power amp' in, which takes the signal from that jack and sends it directly to the mixer's internal power amp (it disconnects anything plugged into the mixer's channels, and is controled by the aux 1 fader). Again, the crossover is set to 'flat' so it should be getting the full range.

Problem is, while the mains work fine, but it is the monitors that aren't working. With the mains up or down, and the aux 1 up, I still get nothing through the monitors. The mixer's routing is a little convoluted, so I want to make sure I have hooked this up the best way possible. I have had the DR PA work just fine in other configurations, but not this one. If anyone has a similar setup, or can take a small look at the I/O of the mixer for me, I would appreciate some ideas of what to try next. You can see a manual for the mixer here:
http://mmproductions.co.uk/Resources/emx5000-12man.pdf
[/code]

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You'll have to set up a dual mono setup...there is no way to sum any output other than the lo out...From the block diagram It appears you would need to:

1. Set up a 2X4 dual mono (unlinked) preset
    2. From the output of the mixer (there is a mono out you could use but you would need a 1/4\" balanced to XLR F connector cable) to the DRPA left input using standard XLR cable (if you use this method the 'Pan' control on every channel would need to be centered...Or an XLR 'Y' from the mixer to the DRPA (not recommended)
    From the 'left HI out' to the mixer the cable would need to be XLR 'M' @ the DRPA end and then 'Y' to a dual 1/4\" balanced on the mixer end and inserted into the \"P amp in A and B\" next to the 'Phones' and 'Mono Out +4db' ....That gives you \"dual mono\" to the mains through DRPA left input/output

3. From 'Aux Send 1 +4db' another '1/4\" balanced to XLR F connector cable' to the 'R' input of the DRPA...From the RIGHT 'MID' out of the DRPA
    an 'XLR 'F' to 1/4\" balanced cable to the amp you use for the monitors ( the amp should have a dual mono or Y input switch if you run two channels or you'll need a 'Y' ****your not using the yamaha as power for both mains and monitors are you? if so you better have fairly similar loads on the 2 channels and you can eliminate the 'Y' part of the cables and send the Hi out of the DRPA to channel 'A' power amp input, and the 'R' MID out would to the 'B' power amp input****

MAKE CERTAIN that the POST switch is UP so that the signal is sent PRE FADER... not also that the channel GAIN control is PRE aux send though so make sure you have enough gain in the channels BEFORE you set the monitor levels!!!! because if you turn that gain control up it will turn the mains AND monitors up! this could cause feedback...It also looks like the AUX 1 send (master section must be set also (this is normal for most mixers BTW) must be up for you to get anything from the aux send buss...

Gadget
  • Options
    So far this makes sense...I was planning on using the internal mixer's power amp for the monitors, and the external Crown for the mains. However, the problem is that after the monitor signal is processed by the dbx, it must come back into the mixer to use the power amp.

It looks like, from the diagram, I can just use the P. Amp In jacks for this, but I don't want that signal going back out of the St Out jacks of the mixer either (then getting processed again by the dbx). I also don't want to create any loops.
  • Options
    The power in jacks interrupt the signal chain... they are just before the power amp so no loops, the amps are just like a separate amp thats just built in... In that case (external amp...) just do what I said and swap inputs...

Mixer out to DRPA in left channel, HI out left to Crown amp and parallel inputs or go bridged mono if your speakers are 8 ohms no,omal...

Aux 1 send to DRPA right input, right Mid outs to a Y and into the power amp inputs A&B...

You will have to do everything for each channel independently( the modules that are tied together of course are not part of that) but the GEQ is, and you should be able to Auto EQ both separately...and have separate post xover GEQ's to work with ... but the FBX won't work separately...

G
  • Options
    alright, i am starting to get it! so there is no way to have the mains (external pwr amp) in stereo, while the monitors (internal pwr amp) are in mono, and still processed like that through the DR?
  • Options
    Sure... but you wouldn't have individual control of anything that way...

If you send L/R to the DRPA and take L/R out of the DRPA for the FOH, the monitors would need to be tied to the FOH system.. the other way, you have a 28 band GEQ for the monitors that you can Auto EQ for best monitor sound(with a pair of PEQ's to boot), and a FOH that has a 28 band GEQ that can be Auto EQ'd separately for best FOH sound (and three PEQ's) depends on how valuable stereo FOH is?

As for the whole Stereo FOH thing I run ONLY effects in stereo. If you have a stereo guitar rig and you pan the two sounds L/R the people on stage left won't hear the right guitar sound and the right side won't hear the left guitar sound... and that... ain't cool...the only happy people are in the middle.. and that ain't right either...

Gadget
  • Options
    right, this makes sense too..so the way to go is mono, with separate control over both main & monitor...which would require the Y setup you explained above....