Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

Connection help for Yamaha powered mixer

sparky53sparky53 Posts: 9
edited August 2008 in PA Connectivity
Hello,
I am looking for help in getting my new DRPA connected to my Yamaha EMX 5000 powered mixer.

I am running a simple system with only 2 mains, the system consists of:

EMX 5000 Powered mixer (500W@4ohm X 2)
2- Yamaha s115club cabs (as mains)
Behringer EP2500 monitor amp (1200W@2ohm X 2)
2 JBL Jrx112 monitors
3 Behringer Eurolive p1220f monitors

5 Monitors are used because I mix for a 9 member SKA band and everyone is spread out and needs to hear themselves with out the monitors being too loud.

Question is, what outputs do I use from the mixer to the DRPA? I think I would use the ST OUT (L&R) to the inputs on the DRPA, but what cables are to be used? eg. are the outputs 1/4 TS mono to XLR M? And is there a 1/4\" unbalanced to XLR balanced cable?

And am I correct in thinking I would use the High out from the DRPA to the Pwr amp in on the mixer with the crossover flat? Also I use a Behringer MDX1600 Autocom Pro-XL compressor/limiter/expander for the vocals and would this unit cause any problems being run with the DRPA?

I would be thankful for any help offered.
Thanks!
Sparky

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I think that this (almost) exact set-up is discussed in detail in another post. Do a couple of searches. It has been in the past month I am pretty sure.

DRA
  • Options
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewtopic.p ... ght=yamaha

Actually, if you had head the very last (previous) post in this section you would have seen this thread.

DRA
  • Options
    I did read the post before mine, but his situation was a little different. He was also trying to run his monitors through the DRPA. I just want to run my mains and need to know the specific cables I need before I lay out the money for the wrong ones. I need to know if I am correct in thinking 1/4 TRS balanced to XLR \"F\" are what I need.

Anybody got the answer to this?

Thanks much,

Sparky
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    if your \"inserting\" the DRPA into the chain between the mixer and the amps in the mixer then
    2 ea 1/4 balanced (or unbalanced but balanced 1/4 is better) to XLR M from the Stereo outs +4 to the driverack inputs
    2 ea 1/4\" balanced to XLR F from the HI outputs of the DRPA to the \"power amp in\" connectors on the mixer.

That would give you mains..

The monitors should be run off the pre fader aux sends.
    Gadget
  • Options
    I looked at the spec for the mixer and the \"St Outs\" are unbalanced. The \"Power amps in\" are also unbalanced. I guess that Yamaha assumes that any outboard gear will be very close.

You nead to make 2) 1/4\" (mono) - male XLR and 2) 1/4\" (mono) - female XLR cables
    1/4\" tip to pin #2
    1/4\" sleeve (shield) to pins #1 & 2.

If the cable has foil shielding there will be a bare drain wire.
    If the cable has braided shielding, strip it down to where it is managable and solder it directly.
    If the the cable has spiral wire shielding... yikes. Get some different cable.

If using 2 conductor (mic cable) you can double up on the hot side or the shield side with the spare wire. There is another trick that can be done, but I can't remember what it is.

DRA
  • Options
    You nead to make 2) 1/4\" (mono) - male XLR and 2) 1/4\" (mono) - female XLR cables
    1/4\" tip to pin #2
    1/4\" sleeve (shield) to pins #1 & 2

Isn't 1/4\" sleeve (shield) to pins #1 & 3

Stretch
  • Options
    That was a test. :wink:
    You are right. It is just natural to type 1 & 2.

DRA
  • Options
    Thank you for the direction!
    My confusion was mostly with the fact that my block diagram showed 1/4'\" unbalanced and I was not sure how to make it mate up with the balanced XLR cables. I looked around and I see they make a 1/4\" TS Male to XLR M or F, but was not sure if it would have the correct pin wiring that this application required. I am of the mindset that if I have to go shopping for the parts to make the cables, I would, as a time saver, just purchase said cables already made if the pins were wired to suit the application.

Would the pro audio shop premade cables be wired correctly? Or is this a definite case of \"do it yourself\"?

Thanks again for the help, I'm looking at getting this up and running ASAP.

Sparky
  • Options
    Sure, buying them if fine. If you are getting them at music store (some have techs that will make customs for you) ask them to put a meter on them to check the pin config. Make sure though, that they do not have step-down transformers in them.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I still like to use TRS EVEN in unbalanced configs. Often helps in situations where ground loops or interference are present.

G
  • Options
    Thanks guys,

I picked up some livewire cables TS to XLR (did so before Gadget's last post) and I ohm'ed them out and the pins are wired #2 signal 1&3 sleeve. Have not had a chance to fire up the unit yet, but am looking forward to dialing it in. Another of my questions was the use of a Behringer Autocom Pro-XL compressor/limiter/expander for the vocals which I use a light compression to smoothen out the sound and reduce the \"SSSSS\" with the de-esssser. How will this affect the mix going into the DRPA? Will I have to turn off the compressor on the Behringer to avoid over compressing the vocals?

Thanks again

Sparky
  • Options
    Without looking up the mixer again, I'll just give give a general answer and you can pull what applies.

DO NOT put the B'ger in-line with the DRPA (main outputs).
    IF you have sub-groups and have just vocals in one, then you CAN put the B'ger (assuming group has an insert) on it, BUT all vocals will be compressed if any is compressed. May be OK it VERY little compression, etc is applied, but be aware....
    Effects of this type are best used on a channel insert basis.

You imply that you are going to compress with the DRPA. Not a good idea for whole system. Not good for DJ's. Bad for bands. You'll kill the dynamics.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra,

What I have is my first 2 channels (vocal mics) into the Behringer then out to the mixer board. So I'm not compressing my whole mix, just the first two channels. Sound OK?

Sparky
  • Options
    Yes, that is the way to do it. Does the B'ger have mic level ins and outs?

DRA