Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

Figuring out my inheratance

fostina1fostina1 Posts: 3
edited September 2008 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hi, I have recently inherited a PA, that's been put together with bits and pieces over the last few years.
We are a church that has a capacity of 350 max, we have a FOH system, and another system for the music pitt. I am trying to figure out the xover point for the music pitt section only.

the specs are; Berhinger DDX3216 digital mixer. (all faders work, except for the main fader :?:)
1 x SLA2 amp
2 x RAMSA 2channel WP-400 power amps
2 x P-Audio co-axial vox fold backs. (specs; P-audio compression driver, BM-D450. P-audio woofer, BM15CXHA) 300watt

We have two more fold backs, but I am still trying to figure out what they are.

I tried to set it up in the wizard, biamped it was too harsh and zero warmth or body.
I also tried it in passive. It was too boxy and hardly any tops.

I would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Just so happens I'm a P Audio dealer :D The BMD 450 is a nice driver, (but I really like the neo version) Cross it @ 1700 hz LR 24 the woofer will likewise get a 1700 hz lopass LR24...a few hz spread will help limit the interaction in the xover region, but no more than 100 hz.

Remember, the BMD driver is more than 10db louder with the same power as the woofer so you will need to TURN THE BMD down... in other words, you will need to use the amp controls (in bi-amp mode) to balance the sound from the woofer and horn...This would make the speaker sound harsh.

Do yourself a favor and read the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section...it has tons of great info on the driverack...

Gadget
  • Options
    Thanks for your quick response and advice.
    I did what you suggested, and I noticed a great change, however there was still some \"boxy\" sound in it. I panned to each speaker and one sounded so nice, great bottoms and ambient tops. I panned to the other speaker and realised it was broken.
    I didn't blow the speaker from changing the xover point, it was blown before that. That was the reason why I wanted to change the xover point, but failed to realise the speaker had blown. (with the new xover point, the vox foldback that works, sounds SO much better.)

So my question is I know this may be the wrong forum to ask this, but you mentioned that you are a P audio dealer. I live in Sydney, do you know where I could get it repaired, or buy a replacement?

I'm really new at this, and I appreciate any help. :oops:
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    By the gods man! boxy sound... NO hf response...blown, or inactive HF devise...Use the internet and search out P audio in your area... go to the main site...DARN I can't find it... I'll get back as soon as I find it...
    G