Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Got a 266XL Comp/Gate... suggested starting point for vocals

jerrysjerrys Posts: 3
Can anyone give me a suggested settings start point for vocals... i.e. karaoke application?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    What are you trying to accomplish? Make up for their bad voices :lol::lol::lol: Seriously what do you want to do...smooth them out? make them more pronounced, burry them in the mix :lol::lol: sorry had to do it..

Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    What are you trying to accomplish? Make up for their bad voices :lol::lol::lol: Seriously what do you want to do...smooth them out? make them more pronounced, burry them in the mix :lol::lol: sorry had to do it..

Gadget

Let me put it this way...

If you were walking in to a club and setting up for Karaoke, how would you initially put your settings?
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 4
    jerrys wrote:
    Can anyone give me a suggested settings start point for vocals... i.e. karaoke application?

Have not used the 266 for a long time. I prefer the 166. I . prefer the 266 to not having a comp tho.

Set the ratio to 2:1. attack & release to auto if that is an option. If not set them both to 12' oclock. output to 0. Now the threshold is the main control you need to get right. Speak/shout into the mic until the gain reduction metre is just ticking 1-2db. When you really shout/sing loud it should reduce about 4-6db.

Try That.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Thanks Pauly...
    But if you look closely that thread is 4 months old :roll: Jerry hasn't returned since then...

G