Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

Jbl and Crown set up

boog75boog75 Posts: 20
edited September 2008 in PA Connectivity
I was wondering if you guys had in fine tuning suggestions, (delay/comp/eq adjustment/,ect.)
The wizard set up that is completed and the outside EQ is done.

1604-VLZ PRO 16 Channel Mixer Board .
2 JBL Pro MP215 Forward Speakers. 1 Crown XLS 402 Amp
2 JRX Pro 18\" Subs Cabs. . 1 Crown XLS 602 Amp.

Thanks Boog :?:

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    How does it sound?
    Most all the tips I would suggest are in the READ ME FIRST section.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I suggest caution.. your very underpowered HPF 45 hz minimum..Lopass 120hz...

Gadget
  • Options
    For the most part I think the wizard set up has it pretty good but the auto eq, even that it was done with one side hooked up and outside ramped the high end all the way up and dropped a couple of the midranges down, so a little adjustment there to taste.

Gadget, Do you feel I am under powered all atround or just highs or lows?

Thanks,Boog
  • Options
    I assume that you had 1 MP215 setting on top of 1 sub?
    Where was the mic (assume an RTA mic) positioned in relationhip to the horn throat and 15 (should have split the difference)?
    How far from the stack was the mic?
    How loud were you pinking?

DRA
  • Options
    A XLS 802 would be a good match for your tops (500w ea.) and a 402 bridged on each sub would be good (900w).
    You could get by with the 602 on the tops (380w ea.) but you have to NEVER get into clipping, even if you need more volume.

As a minimum, buy another 402 and put the pair bridged on the subs.
    Better, sell the 602 and buy a 802 and another 402 for the subs.

The cheap way out is do a really good gain structure as layed out, but turn the amps back an extra detent or two. Then know that you are limited (potentially in volume) and hold your ground.

DRA
  • Options
    \"I assume that you had 1 MP215 setting on top of 1 sub?
    Where was the mic (assume an RTA mic) positioned in relationhip to the horn throat and 15 (should have split the difference)?
    How far from the stack was the mic?
    How loud were you pinking?\"

Dra,
    Yes your correct ,215 on pole over sub.
    RTC mic, I had the mic split between the 215 and sub(centered). not right?
    Mic was 10-12 feet.
    I selected MED. on the DR Auto EQ and turned it up until zero.Amps were at 60%. Pretty loud.

Thanks for the power amp tips ,I wiil look into that. I will keep the 602 to help run monitors, I know the QSC I use is trying to bridge power to 4 JBL monitors.

Boog
  • Options
    To low and too far away...on the mic, aim @ the woofer on the top, set the top on the sub and 6-8 feet...Did you read the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING and FAQ sections? if not do so...

$150 more than the 802 buys an XTI4000...@ NSL (northern sound and light) :wink:

G
  • Options
    Based on some figuring, with your set-up the mic was about 20 degrees off-axis to the horn. Gadget's set-up puts it under 10 degrees. You should get much less boosting in the upper bands.
    Let us know how it goes.

DRA
  • Options
    remember ...the mic is omnidirrectional...but then.... :arrow:
  • Options
    Hi All
    When auto EQ'ing, why have the sub turned on at all??

I remember this piece of information in the FAQ's
    It will also help you to understand why we say let the Auto EQ do only 170-700hz frequencies and tune the rest by ear.

Leaving the sub unplugged will help in the times when in clubs owners and guests are with in ear shot. from not complaining
    Yes your correct ,215 on pole over sub.
    RTC mic, I had the mic split between the 215 and sub(centered). not right?
    Mic was 10-12 feet.
    I selected MED. on the DR Auto EQ and turned it up until zero.Amps were at 60%. Pretty loud.

So the Question is

Why have the sub turned on when auto EQ'ing

Just a stray thought
    Mark
  • Options
    Absolutely correct! and welcome back Mark! How was the trip? Me I'm a cripple.. I hurt my back last week.. and can hardly get out of bed... then tonight the GF came over whining that she wanted to go for a motorcycle ride.. I reluctantly agreed... needing to get out of the house anyway, and promptly got hit (@50 MPH) by a deer @ a dead run)....damnedest thing you'll ever see.. the GF.. behind me.. watched (in horror) as the whole thing unfurled... 5 deer...bolting across the road in front of me.. the first two were clear, the third rams (at full tilt boogie) into my front tire..fender...) and slams into my super heavy duty Australian cowboy boot covered leg... :lol: ) and goes spinning down the road... now... :shock: I'm in shock.. did I tell you I was in :shock: I was still going strait... I wasn't on the tar.. my bike wasn't exhibiting any weird behavior... and the deer was spinning down the road in my rear view mirror.. ( the GF missed it too... thank GOD!) well...let me tell you I was in pain, and rather than stop I thought it best to keep going home in case my leg was broken... so I continued on...well a few miles and the pain subsided a bit and I pulled over to see what was left of my bike and see if I could stand...nothing broken (on me) the bike will get fixed...and the leg will be ok... but I cannot believe I didn't go down...AMAZING...

Yes, back to the subject ... anything below 170 hz should be EQ'ed by ear...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Somehow I crossed this thread with another recent one and was thinking he was doing outdoor \"flattenng\". Duh!

DRA

G, I'd say that you got lucky(or blessed). All I see is the Ceasars Palace jump where at the landing ol' Evel's front wheel is going crazy and him going rag doll.
  • Options
    I know!. :shock: Imagine a deer running full tilt boogie and slamming into my van in the dead of night on the way home from a gig.. the van rocked... the deer died.. I survived BOTH... pretty much unscathed...Maybe it was for Kevin's, or Faith's church work the the almighty spared me from this...who knows...but folks.. I should be HISTORY...

thankfull...
    G

BTW ...way to tired to think on the amp thread... how about posting it in the PSW... it will get the best attention and answers there...
  • Options
    Good to see you survied
    Can't loose the driverack guro

Mark :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I took out skippy (kangaroo) in a car once.
    The dogs loved him
    :lol::lol::lol:

Back to the subject
    When we auto EQ turn off the subs
    :wink:

The skiing trip was fantastic. But only for a week :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    Thanks Dra,

I will redo the EQ set up as you stated. also sounds Like pulling the plug on the sub is also a good idea.

One more question for today. Speaker cable...running 50' cables 12ga or 14ga or does it mattterat that length?

Thanks and maybe you need a deer whistle on your bike... :lol:

My truck has waxed 3 deer since 2000.............
  • Options
    14 gage is fine...but why the heck do you need 50' cables?

Don't laugh.. I have two on my bike, one on each side of the faring...they do NOT work...deer are too stupid..and there is a bumper crop this year and they are out in the day and all over the hwy...it SUX...should be a hell-of-a deer season this year.. hope they let everyone take 4...

G
  • Options
    Don't laugh. I use 12 awg and in some conference settings I have 90' runs and even 125' to get to delay speakers, but those aren't high power demands.

DRA