Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion

Setup help

iandrewiandrew Posts: 3
I just bought a Driverack 260 and tried setting it up. Unfortunately as mentioned in this thread http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40 I find the unit unintutive to use. I have a Behringer Ultradrive 2496 and I managed to get it going on it's first day of use in around 15 mins. After spending around an hour with the 260 I gave up. Hope somebody can help.

I'm running a double mono setup with 6 pairs of speakers arranged down a very long hall. For the first set I wish to do feedback supression (this should be assigned input A). For the others I want to implement room EQ, AGC, compression & delay (these should be assigned input B).

It looks like all user configurations on the devcie are filled and so I need to preselect a random configuration and then modify it. Is it possible to start with a blank configuration? It is unintutive to start with a unrelated config. What is the best way to continue with the setup?

Does the Auto EQ work on the input section or the output section or is it independent? Can I manually alter setting set by the Auto EQ? According to Appendix A4, the post crossover PEQ is set. Unfortunately this is only 4 band while the input PEQ is 9 band.

Your ideas and suggestions are solicited.

Andrew.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Yes, all of that is possible and pretty easy. Well, easy with Driveware. Are you using it? Do you have a laptop?

Go to the upper right tap and download the \"tutorial\" and also the Driveware for the 260. Do the tutorial, then play around the Driveware. Even if you don't have a laptop to work directly with the 260, it will help you understand manual config of the unit.

Go as far as you can, then post back if you have problems.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You can set up a custom setup in about a minute using the wizard, and then store it anywhere you like within the user presets...there is a complete duplicate set of factory<>user presets. If you want to, you can revert back to the factory setup with a hard reset which will wipe all user presets. You can also modify all user programs...the use of the wizard helps get the unit roughed in, and then the 'config' button opens up the configuration to allow modification of the preset. One example is the delay, which you can re-allocate to the different outputs. Also the 'xover' module where you can chose from a long list of options...

Think of the 260 as 6 separate modules you can configure any way you want...

As Dra said, the GUI is a much simpler way to program the unit, and even to see the things that modification does...If you have a tower with serial ports OR a laptop (older) with serial ports hookup is a snap, you can even run the driverack up to 300 feet (we haven't gone farther than that...) over a snake by modifying the cable by adding xlr connectors (see the FAQ section)and runnung it over the snake...newer laptops with only USB ports need converters..all this and more in the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section...you could learn a lot there...

The Auto EQ uses the input GEQ, but once you use the Auto EQ you can go to the config mode and change over to the 9 band PEQ's and yes you can modify the GEQ plot after the Auto EQ process. There is even a few \"preset\" precurves provided...

AGC? huh? I'd be interested to know what that's all about...

With respect to the difficulty of operation give a BSS soundweb a spin some time.. or the Bi-amp Nexus system... they won't even SELL you one till you've taken a 3 day class...(30 hours...)

Gadget
  • I watched the tutorial and tried the Driveware software. Now I understand the system better. I was a bit concerned that there were no empty user config, but now I've got comfortable in \"overwritting\" a preset user config. I must say that it does have a steep learning curve but I think I've cracked it! Thanks.

If after AutoEQ I change from input GEQ to PEQ what happens to the AutoEQ settings? Will it not be cleared? The GEQ is 28 band while the PEQ is only 9 band!

For room EQ, I've heard that it is best to limit EQ to the lower frequencies. Is it possible to make Auto EQ allocate more bands to the lower frequency? Currently the auto EQ works all the way to 16kHz. I don't want to do eq above 2-4kHz. The RTA has slow, medium & fast settings. What does this mean? Which should be chosen? And unless I set the accuracy to low or medium, Auto EQ fails!

Andrew.
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Auto EQ effective range (frequencies not \"lieing\" to the mic indoor because of cancellations, etc)is about 160hz - 700hz. You can't change the range that is samples. You simply \"ignore\" below 160hz and above 700hz and flatten these and tune by ear. If you are going to Auto EQ the room then transfer the data to the PEQ (160 - 700 of coarse), you simply have to chart the GEQ and manual transfer to the PEQ.

Low, Med, Hi settings are the precision settings, or in other words how fast it will finish. It references the +/- maximum range from -0- of each frequency. For example (made up numbers) Hi may adjust until all freq's are +/-.5db, while Low may be +/-2db. I think that if 4 consecutive bands max + or - , then the RTA will throw an error. Either the speakers are not cablable or the room is not capable, or both.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Actually ANY 4 bands if maxed out will give the NOT DONE message... Also,
    in the NOT DONE category is stereo/unlinked/dual mono... where the driverack wants to do the other channel.

If you set the HPF on the low end of a fullrange speaker it will ignore up to 4 bands below the speakers ability... and 4 at the top end I believe also..I imagine you could set the LPF to whatever you want and see what that does..Have you read the Auto EQ posts in the FAQ section?...You really cannot EQ a room...

I don't know that the information is lost, but it will not adjust the 9 band PEQ but you can as Dra stated transfer manually... BTW the 9 band PEQ gives far more control and with less sonic chaos than the GEQ...

The low is the least accurate of the preset modes, the hi is the most.. it has to do with how much crest factor there is in the product...the hi takes 3 times as long as the low.