Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

setup with THE BOX PA302A full range and LD 15 Active Sub

EngelseBoerEngelseBoer Posts: 13
edited November 2008 in PA Configuration Wizard
Could someone please tell me which equivalent speaker selections I can make in the setup procedure,
so that I can use the Auto Eq Wizard with RTA microphone

My High Range speakers are:-

\"THE BOX PA302A\"
Active 2 way full range electronic compensation speaker
300W (bass) + 100W (Treb)
Freq. Resp. (-3db) 50Hz - 18KHz
Freq. Resp. (-10db) 40Hz - 18KHz

My Subs are:-

LD Systems 15\" Active Moulded Subwoofer
400 W RMS amplifier
125 dB max. SPL
33 Hz to 100 Hz

Regards
Malcolm
EngelseBoer

Comments

• I need to ammend the details of the subs, as i discover that the purchase payment has to be refunded due to out-of-stock issues

therefore the subs now become

SAMSON DB 1500 A, active 15\" Subwoofer with a Heavy Duty Chassis, 500 Watt RMS (1000 Watt peak), 30-300Hz +/-3dB, interal crossover, variable frequency (30-200Hz)

I hope i have supplied sufficient info, I am new here, and this DBX DriveRack PA is very new to me. Have recieved it this week, today is the 1st time i was able to attempt setting it up.

wondering if part of the issue is that I only had the full-range speakers connected

regards
    Malcolm
  • Malcolm,

As not every speaker is programmed into DRPA, you can customize your DRPA to your liking.

By starting out pressing WIZARD you will come to the DRPA Wizard system setup. Next, you will see SYSTEM SETUP. Press NEXT PAGE. From this portion of the menu, it will ask you if you wish to have a mono or stereo system. Choose your option by turning the data wheel left or right. Then, press NEXT PAGE. The next menu will ask which type of GRAPHIC EQ (GEQ) you would like. Using the wheel again, make your selection, then press NEXT PAGE.

The next steps deal with choosing what tops and bottoms you will be using. Utilizing the data wheel, turn your wheel (and keeeeeeeeeep going) until you reach CUSTOM PASSIVE with the next click of the wheel being CUSTOM BI-AMP. Choose which manner of amping you will be using for your tops. Press NEXT PAGE. Then, choose how your subs will be fed.

You will keep repeating the steps from herein using the NEXT PAGE and data wheel to make your choices. Be sure to read your manual as the information I have provided will get you started.

Don't blow anything up.

~M~
  • Thanks -M-,

I have tried a number of things, though at no time did i try PASSIVE, i did somehow try BI-AMPED. I indeed am reading the distructions that came with the product.

I am driving ACTIVE on both mains and subs, with my mains being bi-amped - you suggest i choose PASSIVE BI-AMPED, will try this.

the first time i tried pinking, it went through the motions and the speakers fired out the pink noise. but finally returned the message \"NOT DONE\"
    Admittedly this was before i tried doing any \"setup\". I then tried \"setting up the system\", and when it came to speaker sellection, i did use \"custom\"
    but after this it asks you which speakers the custom is \"the same as\".
    Right here is where the wheels fall off... for i know not what to sellect for speakers and for amps.

several times I have tried finding the specs on-line, of the speakers listed in the manual, and gave up several times.

when i first read the manual, i had hoped that the specs of the sellectables would be displayed so that i could find best match to model the custom values on -- no such luck

anyway, since the first time i tried the setup - which included selecting 'NONE' for subs, i have not been able to generate pink noise
    as i can dial for 'performance level' at my leaisure - and never 'reach' it.
    the dial stops at +20 db - so i know i am doing something wrong. I also realise i need a pilots liscence to fly this animal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated (except one that tells me to pack it in the box it cam in and return it to seller --- as i am too dumb to use it)

:)

regards
    Malc
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    First, Select custom passive with mono custom sub and custom amps for each. Set the volume knobs on all cabs on 12 o'clock. Prior to Auto-EQing read the RMF section above and search other posts also for the pitfalls of this function. Using it in a room and letting it fly will likely make your system sound crappy, so read up.

Set up the x-over at 125hz with a LR24 on each filter. The sub claims -3db at 20hz. Doubt it. Set the hi-pass fillter on the sub (DRPA output) at 50 hz BW18. Turn the filter on the sub to 200hz (all the way up). This essentially turns it off.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Sampson subs... 20 hz :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Ya right...

Remember, when you select unlinked stereo, or dual mono, everything needs to be done twice...If you auto EQ.. the RTA wants to do the other channel...There is one other thing that will cause this \"not done\" message.. that is if more than 4 bands of the GEQ are fully cut or boosted.
  • got this sussed today with just the mains
    realised there is an option 3 (and 4 - 5- 6- 7- 8)
    1 -- 3 way
    2 -- 2 way
    3 --- FULL RANGE whoooop

pinkied it in our little practice room and all done
    and sound systems sounds sooo goood

runing the mixer out to a Lexicon MX300 then out to the dbx
    into just the \"The Box\" 400w fullrange for now
    cant wait till the Sampsons get here to hear all this properly
    and this time in a 1/2 decent sized room

the real fulfill ment will be 13th Dec when we gig in a large hall
    this time i will be able to fill it with pure sound

sooo cool
    thanks all for the replies
    i'll figure all this rocket science out eventualy

Malc
    Where you from?

G
  • Live in Didcot
    am from south Africa

you?
  • Gadget wrote:
    Sampson subs... 20 hz :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Ya right...

umm not sure where the 20hz comes in???

i pasted the stats that said 30-300hz

SAMSON DB 1500 A, active 15" Subwoofer with a Heavy Duty Chassis, 500 Watt RMS (1000 Watt peak), 30-300Hz +/-3dB, interal crossover, variable frequency (30-200Hz), bal. XLR in/out, 35mm pole mount, wheels on the rear, 508mm x 610mm x 578mm (H x B x T), 32,25 Kg
    Malc...
    It's called \"creative advertising\" in the business. It's an old trick and it's a bunch of CRAP...There isn't any regulation of the industry AND worse yet, no penalty for not being truthful in advertising... THAT spec.. 30hz - whatever -3db down is a TOTAL fabrication...I would BET that it's 3db down @ 50 hz... and more like 30 db down @ 30 hz...They provide NO chart of frequency response on the site to corroborate the \"specs\". The reason I said the 20 hz is...Dra wrote
    The sub claims -3db at 20hz. Doubt it.
    and I thought he looked up the specs...but the fact is.. if they claim 30 hz @ 3db down then 20 some hz must be within the 10db down spec...

I have Lab subs, that are INCREDIBLE... and they are -3db @ 30 hz half space, and they are 4 feet X 4 feet by 24 inches and the sound has to travel 10.5 FEET to get out of the speakers...(folded horn subs)

So front loaded, stamped basket, 1000watt POWERED sub for under $600 US...30 hz...I don't think so...
    G
    Frequency response .......................... 20Hz- 200Hz+/-3 dB
    Crossover Frequency ........................ Variable 30Hz – 200Hz

From the spec sheet.

DRA
  • guess i havent seen that spec sheet
    eitherway, they are a huge improvement on what i had
    20+ year old 100W Fane speakers
    being driven by an 80W PA system
    with no extras
    just spent over 3000 pound on new equipment
    so for me things are awesome

G... dunno why i thought you were local when i replied with my location
    giving just the Town
    I am in the UK

Malc
    Isn't that spec for the Db1800 a Dra? I believe it is...

Hey Malc.. in one thread you say:
    Live in Didcot
    am from south Africa
    and in the latest :
    I am in the UK

Now If I'm not totally mistaken.... I thought UK was England.....? That's quite a spread... Me.. as my profile states, Snowy, cold Northern Minnesota... Good Ole screwed up US of A... where our women are getting out the hassocks, and were reading the turbans...

As for the subs, I wasn't trying to belittle what you have, just stating the facts...Interestingly enough, I built some cabs with FANE colossus drivers and they really kick ass...Look fairly similar to your new ones, which don't look bad...

Gadget
  • Gadget wrote:
    Where you from?

G

Ok G lets clear up the misunderstanding

I am FROM South Africa (I aint no Brit)
    but i now I LIVE in England
    (does 10 years here make me a Brit???... ugh)

Town in England = Didcot - where i reside, but not where i am from

lol

Dra -- i didn't take any offence, I know perfectly well what you meant
    sales pitches and all from them ..itches
    will make any product seem more than it is
  • thanks for the scpec's Dra
    Actually I was nana'ing Gadget. That's 2 times I've put him in his place over the years. :lol::wink::lol: It almost never happens.

DRA
    Acually... that is the specs for the Db1800a the 18\" model, I expect a typo.. by the company... the manual spells out clearly that the 1500 is 30-300hz +- 3db...We were explaining you probably will get more like 45-50 hz @ 3db down unless you heavily EQ the speaker.. and that will dramatically drop the overall volume available...

No I suppose not.. your not an Englander till you think you are...How come your there if you don't like it?

G

Ah but Dra you see if you had dug a little deeper YOU would not be the one with egg on face :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I called the engineer that designed the cab and he (nice guy, Edward Tinkelbaum) said that the manual was wrong and the spec sheet was right. So, there.

DRA

PS - I like eggs. 8) 8)
    geez... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: too funny...
  • Gadget wrote:
    your not an Englander till you think you are...How come your there if you don't like it? G

Married a brit :)
    but it's ok here --- after 10 years you kinda get used to it
    but it is not HOME
    HOME is SA
    but sigh -- home is kinda wrecked in a big way

I could write loads here, or direct you to my wife's website
    or you could simply google "EngelseBoer"

suffice it to say were are far safer here, and that is 1 thing i have certainly come to apreciate about the UK

Malcolm