Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

Substituting The RTA

Guilt TripGuilt Trip Posts: 5
edited November 2008 in PA Configuration Wizard
Can we substitute the RTA with an SM57?

Comments

• Options
    The RTA microphones that you will find from dbx or Behringer are strictly analyzation microphones. They are specifically designed for critical sound measurement purposes so whereas the information that is received by the mic and transmitted to the RTA/DRPA is accurate, and reliable. Microphones aside from an RTA mic for that matter, would provide the DRPA or any other analyzer with inconsistent (negative) results.
  • Options
    from the destruction manual, i read u can use a CD, so i guess you can get a recording of the pink noise, as for me, i bought a RTA mic, now i just gotta figure all this new equipment out
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ok, The real answer is... the RTA mic, though ruler flat in nature CAN be used for miking things as well as used as a measurement device...RTA mics are also omni directional in nature, the SM57 is NOT, it's \"uni-directional\" or cardioid in polar pickup pattern.

A non omni mic like the 57 that isn't even close to flat in frequency response... A mic like this is \"tailored\" to sound a specific way, usually for a specific purpose... like, 'vocal'..or 'instrument'. A measurement mic like the Schops, or Earthworks, or TR40 Audix make great piano mics..room mics, or other (usually NON livesound application (due to the omni pickup and feedback potential)) but for recording purposes...

As for the poor manual, we all agree.. but if you think about it.. if you were to make a comprehensive manual... with all the things the Driverack can do. All the potential parameters you can modify, and all the tuning and adjustment capabilities..the manual could/ would have to be in VOLUMES...So the manual is written with a certain expectation... that the user has basic S/R skills and knowledge of terms and understands crossovers, compressors, limiters, synth modules, PEQ, and GEQ and RTA..as well as filter types and delay...(crossover alignment, and system delay.. delay to backline..etc) The possibilities with this piece of equipment while not limitless.. are certainly brain draining...

So we (the DRUG group) have provided you with a wealth of Driverack related info in the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section...
    G
  • Options
    Engels,

I have a pink noise .wav file that I can send you if you wish. Just PM me with your e-mail address. I'll send it when I get on the forum.

There is also this: http://binkster.net/extras.shtml and you'll see down towards the end of the page. (credit to Gadget and the ReadMe)

~M~
  • Options
    hi -M-
    i don't need a recording of it, i bought an RTA mic
    i ws responding to the original poster of this thread that there are such things.
    but thanks

Malc
  • Options
    That's what I get for waking up at 1 in the afternoon... :wink: