Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion

Question about phase alignment with DR 260 and Smaart

twhite902twhite902 Posts: 7
I’m currently using a Driverack PX to EQ my sound system for a 100-year old dance hall. I’ve checked the PX using a 30-day demo version of Smaart and I’m very impressed with the accuracy of the PX. Occasionally, I will DJ for Argentine Tango dances at different venues and I would like to get the best sound possible at each location. I’m considering upgrading to a Driverack 260 so I can interface with the Smaart software and add delay. I would like to align the subwoofer (mono Mackie SWA1501) with the two main speakers (JBL EON15G2). Can someone walk me through the process of aligning a subwoofer using Smaart and the Driverack 260? I’ve played around with Electrovoice’s RACE software and think I understand how to align the phase lines at the crossover point. I’ve experimented with different crossover filters and delay to see how the different combinations of slope, etc. affect the phase results. I have not been able to find a procedure for phase alignment using the dbx 260 and Smaart in this forum. The Smaart manual is not very helpful on this subject. I’m guessing it would be something like capturing the phase trace for the subwoofer and then delay the phase trace for the main speaker until its phase line lines up as close as possible with the captured subwoofer phase line at the crossover point. Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I can't begin to help you, but...
    The 260 is amazing and well worth the extra money.
    Have you tried searching the former forum? There are quite a few \"techie\" posts there. Also try PSW.
    Gadget here is your best bet as far as regulars.
    Micheal Kovach is probably you best bet overall. Send him a PM. He doesn't come around much.

DRA
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Here is his Email from his user listing...
    michael.kovach@insightbb.com
  • I received the DR 260 today and also got the Smaart software. It didn't take long to find out I needed to order a USB serial adaptor. I ordered a Keyspan USA-19HS and now have to wait for it to arrive.

In the meantime, I never heard back from anyone on my original post. Can anyone suggest a good write-up or tutorial for aligning the phase between the subwoofer and main speakers using the DR 260 and Smaart? Some screen shots would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Tom
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You won't find ANY... SMAART users here.. This is primarily a beginner/novice site, and I have to say if you JUST got SMAART... your in for a rude awakening...that program has a HUGE... no MONUMENTAL.. no you get the idea...learning curve...you will need to take classes... go to seminars... there's a forum and some help online but this isn't something you can just start the program and expect to be able to run it..then there's the SMAART / Driverack interface....you still need to know SMAART first... do you? We have provided a good non SMAART method here but it won't have the accuracy of an FFT measurement system. BTW Mikey Kovach is the one who knows SMAART and he hasn't been around these parts for ... years...

Gadget
  • Thanks for the advice. I'll try some of the other forums including the Smaart forum.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You might start reading here:
    http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/39943/0/
    I'm sure these guys can answer your question... but be forewarned...those are shark infested waters...they do EAT newbies...be careful what you ask and how you ask it...I would leave out the part about \"demo\" software...if you don't own the real deal...

The PSW is a great resource...but those guys don't have a high tolerance for newbies.. but.. it is THE best place for pro audio...

G