Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

260 setup

BnchsBnchs Posts: 8
I am having a problem (or at least I think I am). I ran the wizard but unfortunately I had to select custom for my EV ZX4 speakers because they are not included. I am waiting for electrovoice to reply with the information I need. I have done the gain structure and made sure to input the amplifier level into the program. I have not setup the AGC or the AFS or anything else other than the initial configuration. The problem I am having is that the live sound (speech) sounds distorted. I have not setup the EQ yet since I don't have a RTA mic, and this might be the likely cause. I am using the software and saw a graphic equalizer. Currently it is all flat.

1) Is it sufficient to have a slight bell curve?
2) After EV gives me the information for my speakers, how do I enter them into my program?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Good luck.. I am betting 1 you don't get a response from EV and if by some odd chance you do...it will be useless...

You don't need crossover info if your just running tops fullrange, and all you need is a bandpass filter.. set the HPF @45hz BW 18, and leave the lopass to out..There MUST be some component thats clipping... see where it is.. the 260 is NEVER to be allowed to get even close to clipping ... input OR output...see if the ZX has clip light.. try 12 oclock (zero helpful info on the EV site..) unity.. on the ZX4 speakers... make sure the mixer isn't clipping...It could be a cable issue... eliminate one by one what might be the culprit...

More info needed if were to help further
    Gadget
  • Options
    Perhaps I used the wrong word. When I said that the sound was distorted, I meant that the sound produced with live speech sounds \"bassy\" and that the voice of the person speaking is therefore distorted. This is a church setup and this is unacceptable. Putting the mixer EQ on a very slight u shape removed the \" bassyness\" before we got the driverack. Now with the driverack, the mixer EQ and the driverack EQ are both currently flat or zeroed. Can you or anyone who knows give any suggestions on how to set the EQ so that the speaker's voice is simply amplified and not \"distorted\" in any way? Thanks.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    By \"U\", do you mean the :D smiley face? So increasing the bass by the EQ lowered the \"bassiness\" prior to the driverack? :?

What is the system used for? Obviously, you stated speech, but what else, rock bands, piano, organ? Does your board have a lo-cut on the input channels? Are you using it for the vocal mics? How is the mic channel EQ set? How does music (CD) sound on the system?

DRA
  • Options
    Yes I meant the smiley face. We also have a piano mic and play music, but mainly speech. The mixer channels for the most part are at the center positions. I can't give the exact frequencies, but the outer edges slope up to I think +5 while the middle ones slope down to 0. Perhaps this explanation of \"bassyness\" would be more helpful. Removing the mid frequency (turning the mid knob on the mixer to the left) clarifies the sound during live speech (not as \"bassy\") and more of a natural reproduction of the person's voice.

But since people are trying to help me and I keep confusing you, what EQ setting would you suggest for primarily live speech.
  • Options
    What mixer do you have? Brand and model.

DRA
  • Options
    Mackie CFX20
  • Options
    You do have a cut on the channels and a mid sweep. 1st, engage the 100hz button on the vocal mic(s).
    EQ - set the the Hi and Lo to -0-, the Mid is a bit tricky (more complicated) because the system EQ (room & speakers) and the mic used and the users mic technique will cause a multitude of variables here. Get the system up to volume (rung out, AFS set, etc) now with the actual mic user speaking (reading, counting, whatever) set the mid FREQ all the way to one side or the other, set the LEVEL to -6db. Now sweep the FREQ slowly to the other end. Note the place that sounded best. Now start over, but set the LEVEL to +3db (to avoid feedback) and sweep through, noting the best sounding place. Now go back and tweek the -6db or +3db LEVELS to get the better sound at the places noted. Then choose the best between those. The Hi may need tweeking as well, but only experimenting will tell. The Lo is virtually bypassed but .....
    You may need to re-AFS now.

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks for your help. I will try this method and hopefully arrive at a good setup. Oh and the mixer and driverack EQs should be zeroed right?
  • Options
    The DR EQ should be used for fix feedback and room issues. Can you get an EV outside to do a \"flattening\" section to set the output PEQ's? If not, you may still be able to take some of the room problems and transfer to the post PEQ's. This will free up the (assuming) GEQ for more fine tuning.
    The mixer output EQ could be used as a \"tonal\" adjustment for the system, if needed, but not for minute (feedback) problems. But more likely should be kept flat, until you get a better grasp on how everything is working together.

DRA