Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

system set up and gain structure revisit

trshottrshot Posts: 54
edited January 2009 in PA Configuration Wizard
I just had my DRPA upgraded with the lastest speaker/amp chip and would like the have my settings double checked by the DR Gods (Dra & Gadget) :D
I used the wizard for set up, Here it is..hope I didn't miss anything.

System is 1x4 mono
eq's stereo linked
mains SR4725A
subs MRX528S stereo
high amp (1) Crown XTI 2000 (bridged)
low amp (2) Crown CE 4000 (bridged)
high & low amp att set at 56%

x-over settings
H 80hz LR24 -8.5db
L 80hz LR24 -15db
L 35.5hz

Compression-OFF
Limiters- ON
H overeasy 4 / threshold 18
L overeasy 4 / threshold 16
eq and peq -OFF
Sub Harmonic-OFF
Delay-OFF (suggestions?)

Now that you see what the wizard did, you still suggest doing a gain structure as per the RMF regardless of wizard settings,right?
Are there any eq or peq settings you can suggest that may enhance the speaker response?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Yes, still do the manual set-up and post back how they compare to the wizard's.
    To tweek the speakers closer to perfection, take 1 top and 1 sub outside (Gadget says to come on up and you can use his back yard) and measure the ACTUAL response. Then translate the data to the PEQ's. Rinse and repeat until happy. You can also work up the best x-over filter settings as well. You will probably want to move the 80hz setting up to 90 or 100.

Did the wizard set the limiters for you?

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Well.. I have to admit I'm TOTALLY confused...While I'm ecstatic to see DBX providing an update to the Ole Dr Pa...I have to say I most likely won't be sending mine in any time soon...but then I never was anyone that trusted what JBL said, or one to let someone else tell me what is best for my systems...I understand that those folks out there that really depend on someone else to make the judgment calls for them ... but hey why do we need a preset for subs and tops that don't require Bi-amping, and really only use a HPF, and LPF for the sub and a HPF for the tops...

Now if there were biamp/triamp setups for SR4732 with Hipass for 4719 subs...with PEQ's and limiter settings I might be moved...but simple hi-pass and lopass settings for a Yamaha 2 way top and sub is little more than smoke and mirrors to me...but then I'm not your average user...While I can see that this will help appease the masses I wonder if they won't be resting on their laurels and getting complacent...

However I can't \"argue\" with the recommendations.. I don't see that they have really thought about the repercussions of placing the XOVER on the supposed top of the first fundamental of the kick drum? Yes, I've seen many do just that but I must say I question the wisdom of doing so... But don't let me rain on your parade...

I would however like to know what they provide for say the JBL SRX 722, or the 725 in bi-amp mode, and a SRX 4719 sub... or perhaps the EAW FRZ159... 2 or three way and add an off brand sub to that....Why do they include all the crappy PEAVEY stuff and not the SP-2, SP4 and Sp118, or SP 218 subs...or QW stuff? pretty useless to me, but then again I don't use any of what they provide with the 260 or 4800 either...

Man I'm such a curmudgeon...
    :oops: :cry: :shock: :? 8) sorry if I rained on anyone's parade
    always the skeptic...
    Gadget :roll:
  • Options
    trshottrshot Posts: 54
    So it sounds like I should move the xover op to 100hz as Dra suggested..

Gadget, If you want I'll check out the settings listed in the wizard for the Jbl and EAW's and post them here..

I've added a dbx 1074 to gate my drums, any suggestions for the settings? I also added a dbx 1231 eq and 266xl how do I adjust the gains on them during the structure?