Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

260 vs PA

tyresmoketyresmoke Posts: 5
Hi

Great forum - I have read lots of stuff, am looking to buy a drive rack PA or 260.

I see from reading lots of the posts that people say the 260 is a much better bit of kit for the money than the PA.

The main difference I can see is that you control the 260 via your PC with the GUI software (which i have had a play with already).

Also I see you can use zone controllers on the 260 (not something I need) and it has security lock out features (also not something I need) - in the UK where I live the 260 is twice the price of the PA, so it's really got to offer a serious advantage for me to consider it....

So what are the other key advantages with a 260 over a PA - I am not really sure as on paper (apart from the above) they seem to pretty much have the same spec?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Regardless of which you get, what will you use it for? Front of house only? Monitors only? FOH and monitors? DJ? Corporate?

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    They aren't even in the same league...the 260 is lightyears ahead of the DRPA. This guide :
    http://www.driverack.com/drug/attachmen ... ackPA1.pdf

details some of the differences, but doesn't even come close to conveying just how much more the 260 has to offer... I have all the driveracks, and I love the 4800, but the 260 is still a fav of mine.

You just cannot believe the difference programming the DR and monitoring the sound on the GUI..That tiny little screen and endless nested menu's to these old eyes are a definite bummer...

Gadget
  • Options
    thanks will have a read of that comparison that is just what i was looking for :)
  • Options
    after reading that comparison (thanks) - a couple more questions:

The limited peq on the PA (ie - 2 band low, 2 band mids, 3 band hi's) - is this a full range peq or are the bands limited to each general frequency area (IE low/mid hi)?

Also even though the PA is setup for a fairly standard low/mid/hi setup - I assume it can be used as a straight 2 to 6 processer (with the limitations listed such as it can only sum the low signals etc)?

EG if I wanted to use it as stereo full range ins, with 3 stereo full range outs I just turn off the crossovers on each channel and even tho the units calls the outs low/mid/hi - they are all full range (for example) - and I still would get at least a 2 band (full range?) peq on each channel and a geq on all?
  • Options
    The PEQ's have bell filters with, ctr frequency, Q, and gain controls.. the Hi and lo outs also have shelving filters available, with frequency, slope and gain... I don't believe you have shelf filters available on the mid outs...but for the most part .. like the 260's

Yes you need to set up a stereo 2X6 and then lower the HPF and raise the LPF to whatever point you want them at, but remember, you cannot have full independent control of anything but the GEQ all the other functions are tied together...where the 260 you can run 6 totally different outputs and have complete control of every module on those outputs...

The delay on the DRPA is nearly useless.. Not enough to delay to a horn loaded sub, but capable of small driver alignments only

As I stated above you don't turn off the xover you merely adjust the LPF and HPF. On the 260 you can select the filter type... wire, filter, 1x...2x...you can select whatever input you want on any given output, sum, or whatever configuration you want. You can even reallocate the delay within the different modules.

You also have different inserts available in the two modules in between the GEQ and the delay...Sub synth, compressor, AGC, wire, notch filters...

But I really like the GUI.. for me it allows me to monitor and adjust on the fly and watch the RTA in real time which to me is invaluable..I can also run the 260 over the snake using the GUI and then put the 260 in the amp rack so the audio runs are much shorter...I generally have my screen loaded like this:

IMG_5441.jpg

So I can see exactly whats happening on the system.

G
  • Options
    thanks again for the replies.

I agree the GUI is a real benefit, I have played with it on my pc (without having a 260 yet of course :D ) and it's nice, also I have a rackmount PC already in the rack the new unit will go in, so if I had a 260 I probably never would touch the units buttons.

Delay is not something I need, all that is handled seperately.

For me the limited bands on the output PEQs are not really a problem, it is very unlikely I would want to use more than one band, as long as I can select any band, Q and gain I'm happy.

It also seems to me that two DRPA's would give more processing power and options than one 260 and in the UK, two DRPA's are still cheaper than one 260.

It would be nice to have seperate AFS routines on each channel rather than over the entire mix - can the 260 do that?

Thanks for your help, I am clear now on the differences between the units, the 260 is certainly a more comprehensive bit of kit, the question for me is do I want to spend over twice as much basically for the GUI (which I agree is a great tool), a couple of extra peq channels and a load of features I don't need (remote control, security, delay etc etc....)

Horses for courses inni :D

In a world of utopia, where I get paid £20k per night for my services, there is not a world recession going on, cars run on piss, I have 6 female thai roadies to assist with all my needs, I would buy a 4800 and laugh in the face of 260 owners........

but in the real world where every penny could be spent on something else, I don't get paid £20k per night, there is a recession going on, cars don't run on piss, roadies are hairy arse coke freaks.... I therefore have to be careful not to blindly spend money on things I don't need :evil: so for now I will get the DR PA (or maybe two) unless I can pick up a better unit 2nd hand on the cheap :D

cheers chaps good luck :)
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You've still not said what kind of work you do (or hope to do).
    Yes, the AFS in unlinkable, as are ALL the modules in the 260.
    The limiters on the 260 are superior (brickwall).
    DRPA has power off (lost) POP.
    The delay may not be useful to you, but if you ever have to do events that need \"down field\" speakers, delay will be necessary.
    (2) DRPA's have more processing power? Only if you wish to run stereo mains and also run 1 monitor mix AND don't need the other tools.

DRA

PS - How is delay handled separately? Do you have a digital delay? If that ifs the case, consider selling it and applying the $ to the purchase of a 260.
  • Options
    Cars running on PISS :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Too funny..you are imaginative.. I'll give you that..

So I'm assuming DJ work then? but I know of only one DJ here that has minions, and he's partially crippled...AND he pays.. albeit not much I'm sure...but he still pays his grunts...

Yes the 260 is more, not quite twice what the DRPA is.. here... but then if all you need is 4 outputs, or 8 with 2 units why not get the PX? Same filters..same PEQ's NO thump turn off mic is included...

Oh one last benefit.. the 260 SOUNDS better and it's quieter...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Dr. JDr. J Posts: 209
    G -- Can the 260 run on a Mac computer?
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    The manual indicates PC only.

Dennis
  • Options
    YUP...PC ONLY~!