Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

INEXPERIENCED. NEED SOME STUFF ANSWERED.

Im new to running sound and trying to figure some stuff out. If you can help at all it would be much appreciated. I recently bought a system... crown amps, eaw subs and crappy sound bridge fulla range speakers. My amps are only about 200watts more then what my speakers are rated for (continous I think... I don't know for sure). So obviously I want to push those amps as hard as I can. I notice that when I get stuff pushed to the max there is no headroom for stuff peaking every little while like the kick drum and snare mostly. sometimes bass sometimes vocals. Anyways, I don't want to peak my input or output so as not to blow stuff. So my question is, Would it work to by a DBX 166xl to use as a limiter on the mains??? Would that keep my amp from peaking? I probably wouldn't compress the mix just limit it so that im not pushing my amp into DC power. Any thoughts? Also if I have a dual 15 EAW sub and it says the power handling is 1000 watts, does that mean 1000w a speaker and 2000w a box or just 1000watts for the whole box? Cause I sure thought theyd thumb harder then they do.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Boy... where do I start...Quite obvious BTW that your new to this...
    So obviously I want to push those amps as hard as I can.

Wrong...you push the amps and your going to BAKE those cheap speakers...
    I don't want to peak my input or output so as not to blow stuff

Then you need to do a gain structure... Go to the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section and read the Welcome and start here threads at minimum...The FAQ's deal a lot with the Driverack, but there's good info there...

Would it work to by a DBX 166xl to use as a limiter on the mains???

Nope, you need a LIMITER... dedicated and not a comp, that will exacerbate feedback problems...Compress on a channel by channel basis...
    Also if I have a dual 15 EAW sub and it says the power handling is 1000 watts, does that mean 1000w a speaker and 2000w a box or just 1000watts for the whole box? Cause I sure thought theyd thumb harder then they do

The rule of thumb is 2-3 times the rating of the speaker for headroom...that means an amp of 2-3000 watts would not be overkill for this speaker and you'll need close to that to get them \"thumping\" as you say...BTW 1 sub isn't a lot for good low end...I use 4 LABsubs and 8 turbo manifolds JUST FOR THE LOW END...

You should have at least two subs, maybe 4 if you want THUMP..

Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    \"Recently bought a system\"? New?
    I'll assume you bought a x-over, EQ, and are about to buy a 166. Can you sell those back to the store and get a DriveRack 260 or DRPA (if money is extra tight?

DRA