Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

Amp Sensitivity - Wizard vs My Setting

mar2195mar2195 Posts: 15
edited February 2009 in PA Connectivity
Quick question...

Is the Wizard's \"Amp Sensitivity\" setting a \"suggested setting\" or \"unless you have a better reason, use this setting\" ?

... or ... as long as the 260's amp gain setting matches the amp's gain setting, everything is fine.

??

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    This ...I borrowed from Crown (without permission.. as usual :D )

It depends on the system and how much gain you have prior to the amplifier . The level control can be thought of as an input attenuator. It does not limit the power available from the amplifier. With the level controls turned down the amplifier can still reach full rated output power, it just takes more drive level from your mixer to achieve it. Generally, you should set the mixer's individual channel fader and master gain to 0 dB, then adjust the amplifier level controls to the desired sound level.

I like to use the gain structure to set the amp levels...
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=959
    The thing is, with various amps and speakers there is no telling where it will all end up...so the best way is to do the gain structure and see where you end up (in my opinion...)

You could however use the amps sensitivity rating, here is an pretty good examination of this.. from a guy with an oddly familiar logo...
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58829

Gadget
  • Options
    OK... but as to the 260's Wizard setting, should I begin the gain structure with this setting? Does the Wizard know something that I don't ?

I'm figuring...
    Harmon-Kardon owns DBX and Crown... so... the Wizard's Gain Setting was a \"planned\" setting for users to use on the amp and in the 260. Am I assuming too much here?
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Yes I think not only are you \"assuming\" too much here your over thinking it.. IF.. you had one set of speakers.. and you used the (in most cases spec provided by the MFG of the amp) ..\" amp sensitivity\" rating, you could easily vary the gain inside the Driverack to match the need of the amp...It's all in how hard we have to drive the signal into the amp to get the rated output...So.. if the mixer and the Driverack aren't able to drive the amp to it's rated output with the Driverack @ unity and the mixer @ clipping(and you needed it to) you would have to MAKE up gain in the Driverack.. or simply turn the gain control on the amp up...either will work, but for a simpler setup practice, and for this typically \"newbie' to \"novice\" user site we try and \"keep it simple'... and when you start adding multiple amps, in a system with subs and tops, it's just easier, and equally correct to leave the gain in the Driverack at unity or there about.. and let the 'gain structure' determine the amps level control position.. :wink:

And thats the way I see it...

G 8)