Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

ok sort of off topic but hey whatever!

schallerzschallerz Posts: 21
OK so i was wondering I've been reading some stuff on the internet recently about the difference between 3 pin DMX cables and XLR cables and how DMX is suggested for lighting but XLR's will work. So i don't know if anyone here does any lighting on the side but what do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Works absolutely fabulous 8) :idea: I do it all the time, so does my son.. and he has designed a bunch of lighting systems..
    :!:
  • Options
    Ok cool thanks cause I need more XLR's to run from my board to my DR and we are currently using XLR's for 6 American DJ Par 64 LED's and I think we are going to get DMX cables just in case and that way we have extra XLR's. Plus we take our lights back and forth between 2 campuses so with the DMX cables we can prevent any chance of not having XLR's to setup our sound right away. LOL
  • Options
    I agree with Gadget. I have used them on my trusses without no issues whatsoever. As long as your lights have three-pin XLR and not the four (i think) pin, you're good to go.

~B~
  • Options
    Yea our LEDs are 3 pins an we use XLRs now but since we need more XLRs and there is delay between a fader momvement and the light responding to the change so I think we're just going to get some DMX cables instead of getting more XLRs and worst case the delay doesn't go away but if it doesn't oh well we need to use the XLRs we're currently using for our lights. LOL
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hmmm I think you need to talk to my son...I don't believe your delay is cable related...is the string terminated properly?
    G
  • Options
    No they're not terminated, we just run a DMX cable into the last light and thats it.