Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Configuration Wizard

dbx223xl - 2 amp hook up?? Help

djhec1djhec1 Posts: 3
edited March 2009 in Configuration Wizard
Hello, this is my first post - looks like a cool forum -

8)

Hopefully, I can get some help with this issue im having- :D

I need help BADLY!! Someone please help me get this working.

My system has always consisted of full range speakers ONLY, however I have added a subwoofer for additional bass - I was given a subwoofer and honestly have no clue how to hook it up??? Can someone please give me step by step details on how to do this - thanks ...

I was going to download pictures of what I am trying to connect, but these are the items and what I'm trying to connect :

Vestax PMC 17-A (Mixer) http://www.vestax.com/v/info/support...OM-PMC-17A.pdf
DBX 223xl (crossover) ftp://ftp.dbxpro.com/pub/PDFs/Manual...XLManualA2.pdf
Mackie FR 1400i (amp for subwoofer) http://www.mackie.com/pdf/m1400_m1400i_om.pdf
Crown CE2000 (amp for full range speakers) http://www.iceco.com/Crown/CE2000.pdf

Full Range Speakers - Peavey TLS4
Subwoofer - B-52 mx18s - http://www.b-52pro.com/models/MX18S.html

I have never connected a crossover before – so be gentle with the terminology :P
You can also email me diagrams or illustrations of anything that can help me, thanks!

Email: djhec1@hotmail.com

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Left out of the board (master outs) to input 1 on the 223, right master out of the board to the channel 2 input.
    1. Left top out of left hi out (this assumes mono subs)
    2. mono sum button pushed in...
    3. mono sub output from sub out channel 1. On the The FR... on the back.. switch the amp to the bridged mode and plug the cable from the channel 1 lo out (223) to channel 1/A (Mackie FR) and turn channel 2/B down all the way. BOTH 1X10X switches up in 1X (223)
    hook the sub up to the RED terminals.. observe polarity.. for Speakon.. one side of the cable (amp end) needs to be wired 1+, 2+ the other, 1+, 1-...make sure to mark the cable so as to not get it mixed up...
    4. Hook the Right top to the channel 2 hi out
    5.On channel one pressing the 40 hz hipass
    6.Set the Lo/hi xover point 1/2 way between 70 and 140 hz (about 100-105 hz)(duplicate this on channel 2 now)
    7. Start with the lo gain @-0-
    8. Start with the hi gain about 1/2 way between -0- and -10 db
    9. Set the MONO?STEREO switch in stereo
    10. Start with both input gains @ -0-
    11. Duplicate the channel 1 hi out.. the lo out on channel 2 is not used
    12.ALL inverse switches disengaged (light out)
    13. Go the the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section and find the GAIN STRUCTURE under START HERE
    14. If you cannot get the volume (I assume the FR amp will need to be cranked) balanced with the amp controls use the ones on the xover.. but you shouldn't need to...then on the LO/SUB channel only, press the INVERSE switch and see which way it sounds best.. in/out should have better bass...

Keep me informed
    Gadget
  • djhec1djhec1 Posts: 3
    Gadget wrote:
    Left out of the board (master outs) to input 1 on the 223, right master out of the board to the channel 2 input.
    1. Left top out of left hi out (this assumes mono subs)
    2. mono sum button pushed in...
    3. mono sub output from sub out channel 1. On the The FR... on the back.. switch the amp to the bridged mode and plug the cable from the channel 1 lo out (223) to channel 1/A (Mackie FR) and turn channel 2/B down all the way. BOTH 1X10X switches up in 1X (223)
    hook the sub up to the RED terminals.. observe polarity.. for Speakon.. one side of the cable (amp end) needs to be wired 1+, 2+ the other, 1+, 1-...make sure to mark the cable so as to not get it mixed up...
    4. Hook the Right top to the channel 2 hi out
    5.On channel one pressing the 40 hz hipass
    6.Set the Lo/hi xover point 1/2 way between 70 and 140 hz (about 100-105 hz)(duplicate this on channel 2 now)
    7. Start with the lo gain @-0-
    8. Start with the hi gain about 1/2 way between -0- and -10 db
    9. Set the MONO?STEREO switch in stereo
    10. Start with both input gains @ -0-
    11. Duplicate the channel 1 hi out.. the lo out on channel 2 is not used
    12.ALL inverse switches disengaged (light out)
    13. Go the the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section and find the GAIN STRUCTURE under START HERE
    14. If you cannot get the volume (I assume the FR amp will need to be cranked) balanced with the amp controls use the ones on the xover.. but you shouldn't need to...then on the LO/SUB channel only, press the INVERSE switch and see which way it sounds best.. in/out should have better bass...

Keep me informed
    Gadget

Thanks Gadget-
    I really appreciate all the steps, I'm going to try it right now.
    I will get back to you with the status...