Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Live EQ question using DriveRack 260

BuckyBucky Posts: 4
Hi all...

I'm an engineer using a DriveRack 260 setup and a DriveRack PA system for live outdoor shows, up to 1000 audience...on a beachfront stage...

Here's my dilemma/idea...

I'd really like a center console mixing board (my location) software EQ program to monitor the differences between what the 260's are sending to the JBL/Nearfield stacks setup I use and what I'm hearing out at the board, or also anyplace I can monitor from with an DBX RTA-M...sometimes when the wind shifts or the weather starts to change I have to hammer the console or feather it like crazy...but at the same time my backstage guys might be hearing something totally different...if I can see the EQ realtime in various places in the house I can adjust nominally (hopefully) and make the house output stable...

The stage is about 100ft long if that matters and the house is 100yds or so...

I have a laptop setup at the board, about 50 yards out from center stage, to a wireless router that can LAN or RS232 into the 260...

Driveware doesn't do what I want in real time that I found anywhere...they offer this kind of thing for the 4800 series but not for the 260s...

I searched through the forums to see if anyone had a similar thing but found nothing...any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,
    That post is confusing to this old guy...

Could you elaborate and maybe clarigfy what you have... what you experience, and what you would like to accomplish\"
    I'd really like a center console mixing board (my location) software EQ program to monitor the differences between what the 260's are sending to the JBL/Nearfield stacks setup I use and what I'm hearing out at the board, or also anyplace I can monitor from with an DBX RTA-M...sometimes when the wind shifts or the weather starts to change I have to hammer the console or feather it like crazy...but at the same time my backstage guys might be hearing something totally different...if I can see the EQ realtime in various places in the house I can adjust nominally (hopefully) and make the house output stable...

please be detailed...

G
  • Options
    Hey Gadget...

Here's a brief synopsis, hopefully...

I really just need a good EQ program that will let me plug the RTA-M into my laptop and hear what's getting to me at Front of House during initial soundcheck
    I'll worry about getting fancy later.

The 4800s have a cool handheld EQ...matter of fact there's one on the graphic at the top of this page!

I'd just like 3rd party software that I can use on my lappy with the RTA-M the same way...I haven't found DBX software that'll do this for the 260 series...and I can't get the ZonePro Designer DL to work off the HiQnet webpage...

I hope that's simpler..

Thanks for trying to help...I guess in trying not to be too vague I got too...whatever the opposite of vague is..sorry...

TX
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    What is a \"good EQ program\"? What specifically do you want this program to do. Do you want to monitor all zones from the mix position or do you want to be able to control all zones remotely without returning to the mix position. Or none of the above?

Dennis
  • Options
    That is a tablet computer loaded with SMAART and HiQnet...and running on wyfi...with that setup you can walk the room/space and tune and set the delays and IF your system is steerable, you can do that as well.

SMAART will also work with the 260...

As Dennis is, I am confused what it is you want to do as well...you haven't included a lot of info on the system... or exactly what you want to do...

sorry :roll:
  • Options
    Hey Gadget...I thought that was HiQnet stuff...that's what got me to them in the first place, but the ZonePro link is busted...and that's what got me to you...
    I've used System Architect before but didn't know there was a SMAART interface for the 260...the wifi uplink and system steering are the easy parts...

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough for you guys...I'm not a big board guy and the last time I posted anyplace, I got VERY technical and the first response was like \"Is the red light on the front of the unit lit?\"

But regardless you answered my question, so thanks...

oh, I also found this software which looks like it'll do exactly what I need...

http://www.audio-software.com/analyzerprof.html

so thanks again...and if anybody has a working link to a DL of HiQnet's ZonePRO Designer I'd appreciate it...
  • Options
    ok...
    BUT... a spectrum analyzer... ONLY...displays AMPLITUDE -VS- FREQUENCY information... without Impulse response, transfer function, and phase response... and in your case specifically polar response pattern info, all you have is a vague idea of what your system is doing...and that is ONLY as stated above...amplitude per frequency...

I happen to have a freeware program that is very much like SMAART... only caveat is there is NO documentation, but provides ALL the pertinent info... I will send it to you if you will keep us informed of your progress with it and how it works for you...

I will need your email info however...

I don't have the time to deal with it but it looks like a hell of a program...

G
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    I thought the only DBX series controlled by HiQnet was the 4800 series and ZonePro controlled only 640/641 and 1260/1261. I guess I could be wrong. I have been running Driveware wireless with my DR260 using an Ethernet - Serial converter. No problems so far. SMAART is a bit more difficult to set up wireless since it requires a USB or Firewire audio interface to be connected to the computer. You would need a second laptop, tablet or whatever and it would have to be wirelessly networked with your main computer through something like the \"Remote Desktop\" function in Windows XP.

Dennis