Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

New 266Xl user/MPC-korg connection question

Dj PoundDj Pound Posts: 7
Hello to all....pardon my ignorance pertaining to such simple matters but Im rather wet behind the ears when it comes to rack mount units.
Ever since i started making music ive always relied upon the internal effects that were provided to me from the machines that ive been using.
Im currently Using an MPC-2000xl midi'ed up to a korg ESX-1 and a microkorg. Whenever i needed compression i would simply just run my raw sounds through the audio inputs of my other electribe the ES-1 or run everything through the inputs of a Boss br-532.
.....After hearing so many good things about the DBX brand and the 266XL in general, i finally decided to drop some cash on one.
So here i am!
The employee that i bought the dbx from at guitar center reccomended that I use \"ring tip\" 1/4\" jacks to connect my MPC directly into the input of the DBX. Is this type of cable suitable for the job?????
It looks as if i could also connect the 1/4\" stereo jacks running from the ouputs of my MPC into a 1/4\" jack y-cable and than run those into the input of the DBX? is that type of connection suitable as well???

Thanks...any help is appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    What is it that you are trying to accomplish with the 266? A block diagram of your entire setup would help make things clear.

Dennis
  • Options
    I think i may of figured out how to connect things right. Ive got everything working just fine now. I was intitially just a little confused as to how to connect everything and what wires to use.

Thanks for asking though.
  • Options
    Sorry for my lack of basic knowledge, but is it possible to hook a keyboard up into the sidechain input on the back of the 266XL and be able to compress and hear it in stereo simultaenously with the ESX that i have hooked into the 266 also??
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    A side chain is... signal OUT of the 266... process said signal....send it back into the 266 ... so no it doesn't work that way..besides, you don't send a signal INTO a keyboard you send a signal OUT of it don't you?

you need a mixer.. send the signals of the 2 keyboards into the mixer, make adjustments there, then if you MUST process both... send the mixer outputs into the 266 then out to the amps TYPICALLY we INSERT the compressor on a given channel, or channels and process that signal and send it back to the same channels...
    G
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Side-chaining

Side-chaining uses the signal level of another input or an equalized version of the original input to control the compression level of the original signal. For sidechains that key off of external inputs, when the external signal is stronger, the compressor acts more strongly to reduce output gain. This is used by disc jockeys to lower the music volume automatically when speaking; in this example, the DJ's microphone signal is converted to line level signal and routed to a stereo compressor's sidechain input. The music level is routed through the stereo compressor so that whenever the DJ speaks, the compressor reduces the volume of the music, a process called ducking. The sidechain of a compressor that has EQ controls can be used to reduce the volume of signals that have a strong spectral content within the frequency range of interest. Such a compressor can be used as a de-esser, reducing the level of annoying vocal sibilance in the range of 6-9 kHz. A frequency-specific compressor can be assembled from a standard compressor and an equalizer by feeding a 6-9 kHz-boosted copy of the original signal into the side-chain input of the compressor. A de-esser helps reduce high frequencies that tend to overdrive preemphasized media (such as phonograph records and FM radio). Another use of the side-chain in music production serves to maintain a loud bass track, while still keeping the bass out of the way of the drum when the drum hits.

A stereo compressor without a sidechain can be used as a mono compressor with a sidechain. The key or sidechain signal is sent to the first (main) input of the stereo compressor while the signal that is to be compressed is routed into and out of the second channel of the compressor.

Found this online.

Dennis
  • Options
    Borrowed without permission...Yup, right outa my book! :lol::lol::lol: I do that all the time...but what can they do, take my pay away :lol::lol::lol: Well done Dennis!

Happy Easter!
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Side chains are used to prevent lateral movement of heavy loads on a trailer. 8)

I'm here all week. Tell your friends.

DRA
  • Options
    No silly...they are for protecting your wallet from theft and loss while riding..everybody knows that...

Next show is what... in 2 hours?

:wink:
  • Options
    MikeyMikey Posts: 82
    He's here all week. Try the veal.