Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion

Tuning for GPA 604-8H II coaxial loudspeaker

cesoutcesout Posts: 3
I'm wondering if there are any users out there that have encountered the GPA 604 (Altec) co-axial driver. I'm going to bi-amp with help from the DR260 and I am sure the HF and LF needs some response correction. I think I have the woofer delay worked out. If I can't find a pre-existing tuning, I reckon I'll do the necessary measurements to come up with one.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Not likely. Good look.

DRA
  • cesoutcesout Posts: 3
    Yeah, I figured that call may be a stretch. So here is what I did:

I set the xo more or less like the passive parameters, i.e. freq, type, and slope. Less gain on the HF unit to match levels, and then ran eq wizard. I took the resulting geq curve and applied same via peq on HF band, and could pretty much leave LF alone. Set geq flat again and re-ran wizard. Most driver response correction is being performed by peq and there is only slight geq being applied. I added a little delay, around 1/4 millisecond to the woofer band as well. That's pretty much it.

Measurements and listening tests would indicate I've got it dialed in fairly well. I sure do like this driverack thing.
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Did you A/B with a passive? Improvement?

DRA
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    I am visualizing an angry mob of analog purists armed with torches and pitchforks chasing you down for \"infecting\" these speakers with digital signal instead of using a passive crossover and an amplifier with vacuum tubes the size of soup cans.

Dennis