Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Flattening Session

Dr. JDr. J Posts: 209
Well my flattening session the other day proved to be quite a challenge. I placed the RTA mic out from one stack about 8 feet @ the height between the horn and the mid woofer & for starters ran a pass with no PEQ on just to see what the GEQ showed. I won't bother to say what bands were boosted or cut ........well yes I will ALL of them! These speakers are not very flat at all. I kept working with the PEQ's and I just couldn't flatten it out very good. Still had several bands boosted to 3dB and ran out of PEQ's. I ignored the bands from 40hz on down. Don't know if my subs will go down to 40hz anyway (at least not for very long) and I also ignored the highest high band (16k). I'm sure these were boosted because they couldn't be found. It was hard to perform because like every other band was boosted or cut. Kind of like a wide tooth comb but every other tooth was flipped opposite of each other. After two hours of that -- I moved everything inside and tried the indoor method with just the tops. This turned out be a really cool way to do it. I got almost all of the bands flat to within 1.5 dB -- except the ones outside of the cabinets range. The area I made sure I got flat was between 170hz and 700hz. Those bands are almost all sitting at 0dB. I ran out of time but I am going to keep going with it as far as I can. The indoor method was WAY easier to do BUT why did the outdoor method prove to be so difficult? Was I too far out from the stack? How do I tune the subs into the picture? I assume they need some parametric work as well. Anyone ever try to just tune the subs outdoors / indoors?

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Were you dealing with wind or birds, etc? That seems strange. What speakers do you have?

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    To far out, and/or not loud enough would be my guess... perhaps a bit of both? Ya I cannot remember which speakers either? maybe not capable of the kind of volume necessary for that distance...

As for the sub... with front loaded, try outdoors, 2-3 feet out...
    on axis... problem is that with subs there are VERY few bands in the coverage region, and most subs have a peak in the efficiency region for that type...(50-60 hz .. 100 -110 hz for some...) but you can bet a steep falloff below 100 hz for most cheap subs...

I like to view the output in real time (260) and then set them up by ear...but that's me...

G
  • Options
    Dra -- You would think out on a farm it would be somewhat quiet. :shock: :lol: I was well away from any animals but you are right -- there were lots of birds and it was pretty noisy. I thought that once the pink noise got loud enough that they would take off.........didn't phase them. My speakers are: JBL mid \"2032H\" that is the number stamped right on it. It is a 15\". My horns are eminence psd2002 & the subs are by Harbinger -- a cheap sub I picked up at the guitar center. I think what Gadget was saying is why I didn't get a good reading. I was too far out. When I did the indoor method -- I got results right away and each pass I got closer and closer. I will just experiment with the indoor and outdoor methods (closer in) and save them as such and pick the one that sounds best. I may even try the subs by themselves. I still have two parametrics left for those that I haven't even touched (for indoor method). Anyway -- this is fun stuff. Hope I'm not boring you guys. Thanks!
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    We live vicariously through our VICTIMS :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    My favorite is:
    \"Be Careful!! Those are Shark Infested waters there!\" Gadget referring to ProSoundWeb.