Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Can't even get past step 1

duderanchduderanch Posts: 4
:oops:

Guys newbie here....first thanks for all that is out there already, this seems like a great site. Also, I understand that I'm supposed to figure out or learn as much as I can on my own before asking basic questions. I've done a bunch of reading already and have played with our new DRPA....but I still can't really get past the first step...or at least know that I'm doing it correctly. If there is something to point me to, instead of answering, that's fine...helping me find it will be just as useful as a direct answer.

...anyway....we always ran our system in mono out of board and through amp. System right now is old studiomaster board - QSC GX5 amp, yammie S112V for tops and PV SP118 for bottoms. Have an additional Mackie FR series amp as necessary.

First step of wizard - mono or stereo - I have no idea...my gut is/was mono since that is what we've run...but tihs thing seems to be tailored to stereo. Next question is EQ - mono or stereo linked...again no idea...but i'm guessing you should be consistent between these two. When I tried the DRPA yesterday I picked mono.

Once you pick this....how do you actually connect...for mono, I guess it is obvious as it is labeled....but I had somebody on a different forum tell me to run stereo, but only run to one input...well which one....button line...once you pick mono or stereo...which input do you pick..then which outputs....technically I only need one output for subs and one for highs....I will put that into amp and daisy chain speaks from there...so to simplify...

1. Mono or stereo?
2. Mono or stereo EQ?
3. Based on this, what are the proper connections

I was able to put in the yammies and set up the crossover, AFS and comp/limiter...to the best of my knowledge now....but I was never able to run auto eq..or eq at all....didn't know how to get to custom set up for the pv subs...or the amp...I could put custom in....but couldn't get to actual parameters to enter. :? I think I've seen some links on this one...so I'll find that....

First is first..if you can help with questions 1-3 above, it would be huge!!!! Thanks. :roll:

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Personally I'd select Stereo, then EQ - Stereo linked.
    Use the Left input. For you 2 way system (tops and subs), you'll use the Hi out (Left) and Low out (left).
    In the wizard, don't get caught up in the model selection. Just select custom speakers and amps for highs and the same for lows and select the sub as Mono (although not required). You cannot \"enter product parameters\" in the custom area. For some reason people think that is an option (I did), but it is not.
    You need to set up the gain structure as laid out in the READ ME FIRST SECTION.
    I don't under stand about the Auto-EQ or GEQ comment. What do you mean \"You can't\"? Beware Auto-EQ as talked about in the RMF section. Scan through everything there.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Look...the guy that said select stereo but only use one side was right...Dra is right... there are several ways to skin a cat here...Let me ask you this...Whats the difference if you use only one side of a stereo rig? In the stereo setup you have a left and a right channel do you not? They both pass ONLY what is sent to them correct? I mean what is sent through the left channel does NOT come out of the right...unless it gets SENT there at the input...So... in the unlinked mode, look at the Driverack (or any other \"stereo\" device) as two mono processors that are in the same box...you can use one, and leave the other alone, or use it for something else..(as in a stereo effects processor that on the left channel you have a reverb, and the right channel you have a delay, one processor, two jobs)...

Now, the ONLY channel in the Driverack that has ANY kind of mono sum is the LEFT channel...... which doesn't matter... since we are only sending a signal through one channel... right? so as you can see it really doesn't matter mono, or stereo, or even which channel you choose...in stereo...

Ok , Same goes for the EQ... what difference is there if the unused channel has a GEQ or not? Again, what difference is there if there even IS another channel? hmmm...we are running MONO after all... right?

I'm not trying to confuse the issue here but we can use the other channel for ...
    Foldback monitors...
    A feed to another area that needs sound...
    An in ear monitor...

Ok, So now we can look at the driverack as 2 separate processors

NOTE: there are 2 separate paths through the DRPA and PX but the processor modules functions are tied together... that means what you do to one ... you do to the other... The 260 and up have no limitation like this...you can control every parameter separately as in a true dual mono processor

Note: In either the DRPA/PX or the 260 and up (480, 1200 series, 4800) if you select dual mono you will need to process each channel separately for EQ, and Auto EQ. The PA/PX other modules are tied together as we discussed earlier.

Sounds like you still need to set the Driverack on the table and push every button... see what each does. Enter all the modules and see what they do. As for the auto EQ you need to press the RTA button then select the auto EQ mode and follow the prompts...remember that once you have completed the auto EQ pass you need to press the \"Program button, then the EQ button and toggle to the GEQ through the menu's to see what the auto EQ did to the GEQ...

The other modules are the same... select the module, toggle through the menus to what you want to do then use the controls provided...most often the encoder, (large knob that turns left, right and has a center push function) and <previous and next> buttons ( once you have entered the module you want to access/ modify)

As Dra says... read the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING...section
    G
  • Options
    Guys, thanks for the advice!!!! :D So on some level, you are saying it doesn't matter....I think. So I will go with the most common advice and go stereo using one input and stereo linked EQ.

Just to set a baseline, I have done tons of research on the unit and did play with it for a few nights before officially hooking it up. Unfortunately, I am really a novice and even with that, the knowledge gap is still so big that I've realized it will take that much more time! I will also read recommended archived stuff...actually I had already strarted, but didn't see anything specifically addressing my hook up question. The nature of the question and my complete confusion on mono/stereo in general...and most of your response Craig :oops: ....shows how \"novice\" I am. Don't get me wrong, advice is much much appreciated.

Issue here is our band figured this item wold be too much for us to figure out....we are a bunch of die hard musicians, but pretty clueless on sound stuff. Only difference w/ me is I'm at least interested in it and will try to learn. Anyway, one of our members decided to go out and buy it anyway(good for dbx:)...and since I generally and responsible for our sound...I'm trying to figure it out....

Although it's a big challenge and frustrating, I also view it as a tremendous learning opportunity. Anyway, I will go read a bunch of the archived stuff and current posts and come back at some point. Thanks a ton for your input and for this site!!!!! :lol:
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Who's Craig? I'm Gary...Gadget... Dra is DAVID, Mikey is well omnipotent... and Dennis is ... just that...

The archived stuff is fine but you seem to have missed the point totally...

At the very top of the opening screen it says:

\"READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING\"
    There you will find this:

http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=959
    A step by step run through of the setup process, and some links with great info that helps where the grey areas are...

Then, here:
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=960
    This takes the setup process into a bit more detail

Then here:
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1050
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1196
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1204
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1384
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=949

There is a lot more in the FAQ section... did you read these?

Craig...
    :lol:
  • Options
    I'm sorry....I meant the \"read me first section\"..just was too lazy to type it and I thought they were in the same place...anyway..yes, I read your summary several times already and will start working my way through the links and FAQ's.

Sorry about the name...slip up from a different site. I realized it after I hit sumbit. Sorry. Thanks again!!!!