Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

RTA without Auto-EQ

rschultzrschultz Posts: 50
Hi,

I have a DR260. Is it possible to use the RTA without the Auto-EQ... as in use a pink noise gen and then me tweak the GEQ manually and have the RTA displayed?

Thanks.
Ryan

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Yup, the RTA is stand alone...and real time...AND you can choose between line input and mic input...

Gadget
  • Options
    OK, cool. So the manual is... well, not very helpful in this area. Can it be done through the GUI, or only the menus? I have the RTA-M mic... so how do I learn how to do this?

Thanks.
    Ryan
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    On the main GUI screen thers is a box with RTA in it. Click it, then select whether it is mic or internal (direct). adjust the gain to the right. I wish there were 2, so you could compare input to output at a glance. But alas....
    Read up in the READ ME FIRST section for info on the pitfalls of the Auto-EQ and how to best use it.

DRA
  • Options
    MikeyMikey Posts: 82
    Here's something to try with the RTA input-take the Monitor/solo or what ever it's called, output from the board and plug it into the RTA input. Monitors just on the brink of feeding back? solo the monitor output (or the microphone in front of the monitor) and the signal will be routed to the RTA input. Watch for the peak on the RTA display and bring that frequency down on your monitor GEQ.

This PSA brought to you by Mikey...and his third cup of coffee.

Mikey
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Mikey,
    Is the line signal not too hot for the RTA mic input? Gotta keep the gain waaaay down?

DRA
  • Options
    MikeyMikey Posts: 82
    Yes, most likely it will be too hot. You can normally reduce the gain going to the RTA input by adjusting the SOLO output or MON output on the board. If it's still a problem, put a DI on the output and hit the pad. Phase isn't really a problem, so passive or active will work fine.

Still too much? look up making a 20 dB pad in a barrel connector. I know there are some sites to show you how to do it. If you can't find it, give me a shout and I'll try to post a schematic. Three resistors, a barrel and some basic solder skills. Guess you could buy one for $20 bucks or so.

Call me cheap; just call me for dinner.
    Mikey
  • Options
    Today I hooked up the mic and was able to see the response from the GUI. I wasn't able to really turn it up, but could see that it worked.
    Thanks for the help.
    Ryan
  • Options
    Hey Mikey!!!!! I had to do that :)

I just got inot the new world of Ipods and droids. I have the Droid from verizon. So I am looking around at the apps and what do I find, a RTA I can download to it for free, there are some that you pay for. I am sure that it is not the end all but I can tell you to find a hot spot in a monitor on stage in a hurry it works. Check it out,