Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Digidesign VENUE SC48

MikeyMikey Posts: 82
Okay folks, I usually don't rant about much gear, but this thing has the corners of my lips glued to my ears. I don't think there's much out on this new board, but you really have to search one out. I'm mixing on S/N 001.

This sucker is amazing. It's got 48 ins, 16 outs, is small enough to fit in the back of your Toyota, but weighs a ton. It has all the normal Digi EQ, comps, gates, etc., Will run up to 18 or 20 plug ins (can't remember the exact number), can load files from any other Digi live board, and is just damned good sounding! With a road case, it will go for just over $20K. Look out Yamaha! This thing absolutely pounds the M7 and , yes, I've mixed on it, too.

Now for the depressing news, I also have time on the Midas Pro 6. Not so good. I'd take one of these SC48s any day over the Pro 6. Oh yeah, the Midas is about $90K.

Just news from the streets. Save your lunch money. This is going to be the board to have.

Mikey

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Your right. There's no info out there. How is it you had the opportunity to test drive #001? Is $20K dealer, MAP, or list?

Dennis
  • Options
    MikeyMikey Posts: 82
    This one is at Digital Console Rental at Soundcheck in Nashville. I know Howard, the guy who owns the company quite well. I designed their listening room and do a few gigs with him on occasion. I'm pretty sure he's the largest live Digi dealer in the area. He has several of the consoles out for rent, so they tend to treat him pretty well.

I think Howard told me I could have one in a case for around $22K, so I'm guessing that's retail. If you're interested, PM me and I'll set up a look-see for you. The Pro 6 is right behind it unless it's out on a rental.

Mikey
  • Options
    I really cannot wait to get my hands on one. Ive used the M7 and all I can say is, give me a budget Soundcraft over that thing. M7 just doesnt cut it. You cant run plugins on it and it sounds.... just bad. Ive heard the SC 48 for several differnt bands and WOW!!!! Huge improvement!!! Love it! Cant wait to test drive one! Maybe even own one!
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Doin a little reading JT? That post is over 3 years old :mrgreen: I've seen hundreds come through the venue (chuckle) and I have to tell you, the drivers SUCK. In all the groups I've seen only a scant few have sounded "good", and I know it's the B.E. not the system or board. I don't have the $35-40,000 for one tho...but I agree on the Yamaha M7Cl... sounds dead and lifeless.

I've been using the Presonus Studio live and I must say, bang for the buck it's the BOMB.. @ just over $100 a channel, and with remote3 mixing, multitrack recording, and Que mix form an I phone it's pretty sweet!
  • Options
    Were getting the Presonus SL 16.4.2. Looks great. Cant wait to use it
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Be GLAD to help with any questions... but ****NOTICE**** NOT ALL COMPUTERS WILL WORK with the SL!!!

I have a Lenova Ideapad laptop and express card combo that works, and it didn't break the bank (about $550) and 2 tower computers that work but there are plenty of folks out there that aren't having much luck with their computers. Know that laptops have to be stripped down and be lean mean computing machines in order to be able to stream record multiple tracks of audio! The towers just worked, no messing around, no optimizing... just plug and play, but the laptops are another story..Apple's are supposedly better but WAYYY more expensive. Note that in order to even be usable there are 'system requirements' one is the Mac's need to be running at least Leopard 10. something, these are listed as "release notes under the "hardware and software downloads" under the 'Technical support' banner.

Go to the Presonus site and read the first thread in the Forum " Pre-sales Questions" "How to find out if your PC is compatible with Presonus products and how to improve performance " That will get you started. Also, you will find a LOT of info there by reading that you won't find out any other way.

I just got the Ipad HD and used it for the first time Saturday night...Here is my post from the Presonus site:

Sure created a stir last night with the new Ipad HD...

"Hey, you must be recording the band right?"
    "Yup, but right now I'm running the sound..."
    " No way!"
    " Yup," "And I'm controlling the Monitors on my Iphone"
    (whips out the wheel of me) then calls up the FFT app and identifies a possible ring, and seamlessly switches to the VSL app and the GEQ's and effortlessly thwarts the arrant frequency from ever rearing its ugly head again (or so he thinks)... switches to camera mode and does a video of the band on the dance floor automatically streaming it to Icloud for the bands followers not able to make the show...

One of the singer signals for my attention, I proceed to the stage and he indicates there might be a ring on stage... calls up FFT.. identifies offending frequency, finds offending monitor... selects aux one.. identifies other singers "wheel of me" meddling, and corrects 'WAYYY TOO MUCH OF HER in the monitor...

Goes to console and clicks "Ignore" on her device...

Life is SOOO good!