Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

RMS limiting vs peak limiting. Is there a choice?

DraDra Posts: 3,777
I just read a post on PSW that the 260 manual inferes that the 260 can be set to RMS limit. I open my PDF manual and looked, but saw no direct connection.

I started thinking. (Watch out) :?

Would a lower threashhold and more over-shoot be similar to RMS limiting? What other parameter settings would yield RMS limiting?

Great Idea! :idea: White paper time. Sounds like Gadget and Mikey could collaborate on a \"Typical Peak Limiting stategies vs. Typical RMS Limiting Strageties for the DR260\". Advantages and disadvantages of both depending on content. Amp power vs Speaker capacity considerations. etc

What do you say guys?

DRA

Comments

• Options
    MikeyMikey Posts: 82
    I say that if you are hitting a limiter so hard and frequently that RMS values (statistical mean or \"average\" to us...average...Joes) are meaningful, you probably need to fix some other problems in your system.

If I am pushing a system as far as I think I can push it, I might hit a limiter 3 or 4 times a night. More than that and I'm concerned about drivers.

Just my opinion.

Mikey
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Yup, I don't think a band's engineer would be impressed with \"RMS limiting\" set on the system you were supplying for his gig. He would probably want to have a discussion about it.

Dennis
  • Options
    MikeyMikey Posts: 82
    Yeah, \"discussion.\" That's a nice way to put it. :shock:

Mikey
  • Options
    Here's my logic.

Speakers - 400/800/1600w
    Amps at load - 2000w

A 60hz sine wave at full (not clipping) power will melt the VC in a pretty short time. RMS limiting at 400w would save the speaker. Peak limiting at 1600w (or 800w for that matter) would not.

So why is RMS limiting frowned on? Seems like it is far superior for speaker protection. Obviously once you reach that point the music's dynamics die, but that just means more rig needed, right?

DRA
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    That logic will work great with local openers but the professional engineer with the national headliner does not want to be on a short leash and will tell you so in the 10 page tech rider that you had better read. He will make use of meters and your gain structure as well as what he is hearing to avoid damage.

Reset the \"RMS limiting\" for the locals if you want but be sure to defeat it for the headliner to avoid being called in for another 'interview'.

Dennis
  • Options
    It sounded great right up until it quit working. :lol:

Luckily, I am not in the band business (any more) and never have to deal with any \"professionals\" (engineers or musicians). I just do my little thing and try to get the most out of it (push the limit) and be safe about it. I love the science behind the sound and how the application of theory works in the real world.

DRA