Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

System tuning/DR seminar in Nashville?

MikeyMikey Posts: 82
We've had a brief discussion (in the 200 series forum) about having a system tuning/DR seminar in Nashville sometime in the next few months.

I'm trying to find out a few things. First, how much interest is there? Second, what topics would you like to cover? Third, would you be interested in one or two days?

If we go two days, we can even add topics from my 101 and 201 classes. We could include everything from balanced/unbalanced lines to mic placement/selection, to listening skills, to compression, etc. If you prefer to stay on the \"speaker\" side, we can investigate things like end fired arrays, sub steering, etc. Probably best to keep the first one pretty simple, though.

I'll need to have about 20 to even have a shot at affording to do this.

Whaddaya' say?

Mikey

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Guitar Center seminars/workshops is an idea that never crossed my mind...probably because Guitar Centers never cross my mind but it seems like an excellent 'win-win' idea.

Dennis
  • Options
    Yeah, the GC thing would have been perfect for everyone. As much as some people don't like them, they push a lot of product and generally have things in stock. They also seem to be proactive in marketing.

It's not too late to do that, but my time is a little more difficult to get. It would still be best for me to stay here in Nashville. My friend, Howard just picked up XTA and they are a possible sponsor if we use their products. Guess it depends on what folks want to cover. Heck, right now it depends on if anyone is even interested!

My best guess for a price is about $200/day. I might be able to get a break on the room the second day, so it might not be quite $200 again.

I'll keep everyone up to date....hello?....anyone out there?

Mikey
  • Options
    I was hopping for a 260 workshop. You could cover the basics the first day and the advance stuff the next day. The price sounds fair.
  • Options
    260 workshop is no problem. I've been working on an outline to figure out what needs to be covered and how long it will take. I really don't think we can get through all of it in a day. Maybe 12 hours, but probably will need close to 16.

Sorry. I don't want to do a half baked job.

Mikey
  • Options
    Hey Mikey

Something just came up and I have to do a DR260 training session for the employees of another local sound company this week. I am totally clear on DR260 functions and the necessary background to cover but as a teacher, I seriously suck. Can you PM me a simple course outline so my thoughts do not come out cluttered and out of order. Thanks.

Dennis
  • Options
    No part of what I have done is specific to the DR 260. And, unless you are an EE, nothing there will make sense in outline form. If you know the box that well and have until the end of the week, it should only take 30 minutes to put together an outline.

I do have a suggestion, though. Just use the Driveware and not the front panel. I HATE using the front panel. Other than that, go through the box like you'd set up a system-configuration, crossover freq., types and order, output PEQ, etc.

Mikey
  • Options
    Mickey,

Could you provide some of your credentials so I can post it in several DJ forums to gauge interest this workshop. Or, if you prefer, provide me with the text and I'll post it for you.
  • Options
    Thanks Mikey

Dennis
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Dennis, If I were doing it (you've probably already thought of this), I would use a projector and at least a 5' screen and have your sample system connected to your demo 260 so that everytime you change a config or setting they can hear it in real time.

Just present things the way you would want to be shown when you first cracked yours out of the box. Good luck.

DRA

PS - OH! Have everyone bring a laptop and let them mimic your work hands on. Have fun.
  • Options
    Dra

I hadn't thought of that because the group is small but it is an excellent idea and would be easy to do. Thanks.

Dennis
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I know you, and I and Mikey all hate the front panel interface but if your computer crashes, or you forgot the power supply and the batteries are dead... well you better at least have rudimentary nav skills...

The FAQ section is kind of a \"hot topic\" list you could go to for ideas...every one of those was in response to voluminous queries...

You might also point out this site as a learning tool.
    G
  • Options
    Thanks Gadget

I own a DRPA as well as a DR260 and I have to program it without the aid of Driveware. Front panel navigation is similar on the two units. I also always have two laptops with me. Usually one is for SMAART and the other is for the control program du jour such as Driveware. Both laptops have Driveware loaded on them. I am totally anal and prepared for the worst. I do plan to share this forum with the \"class\".

Dennis
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Pull these tricks on them. Have them config a system using GUI and have them do a Auto EQ session. See who figures out that it can only be done with the unit panel. Also have them config with Pre-PEQ's then do an Auto-EQ session. See who figures out that it can only be done with GEQ's. Both are good learning and troubleshooting exercises. The more they are stumped the more likely that they'll remember.

Don't forget the cookies and punch.

DRA
  • Options
    With the skill level I expect from this \"class\", I think I will avoid trick questions. They will be counter productive. I do like the cookies and punch idea. Thanks.

Dennis
  • Options
    Wayne, I'll try to put something short together when I get back from St. Louis on Sunday. All I have is a long resume from a few years ago. Been slammed busy.

Dennis, it's always better and easier to spike the punch if you aren't organized. No one will notice after class introductions.

Back soon!

Mikey
  • Options
    Any news on the workshop? If a workshop is not feesable, maybe a webinar is.
  • Options
    Right now, there aren't near enough folks who have said they're interested. I'd say it's not likely going to happen.

As for a webinar, I really don't like the idea for what I have in mind. The listening side of this is too critical. All of my seminars are based on combining visual, auditory and tactile elements. Everyone has a different way of learning and I like to be sure all the bases are covered. Besides, it's difficult to experience things like crossover interactions on computer speakers.

There are some great books out there. I know McCarthy's stuff is outstanding, but it's not an easy read and there is no audio to accompany it.

Ciao for now,
    Mikey
  • Options
    /me spikes the punch...