Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

Bose 802 Series II and DRPA

smurraysmurray Posts: 25
edited April 2009 in PA Connectivity
I recently took over running the sound setup at my church, and have what will hopefully be a quick question. Our main speakers are a pair of Bose 802 Series II and currently we're running the sound from our board, to the DRPA, to the amp, then to the speakers. We are not currently using the processing unit that comes with the Bose. After trying to find some info online, I'm starting to wonder if we really should be using that processor somehow. Is it possible to use it AND the DRPA? If so, how exactly would I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    We have been through this before and the jist of it is that the bose speakers need way more processing than the DRPA can do... so ...
    Yes run them both... mixer>DRPA>processor>bose, if you have the measurement mic do so with the processor on and functioning...

\"All high's, no lows... must be bose\"
    AddEmoticons04279.gif
    Gadget
  • Options
    Is there anything special I need to do in the DRPA configuration, or can I simply add the Bose processor after the DRPA but before the amps and that's it?
  • Options
    That's it....assuming you start with the configuration you have in the wizard... I.E. 2X2, 2X3 etc...
    045.gif
    then follow the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING instructions and FAQ's...
    Ggold-nugget-emoticon-6.gif
  • Options
    I've used the wizard to setup the system, then tweaked a few things when setting up the gain structure. Will adding the processor into the mix mess up my gain structure on my amps?
  • Options
    hmmmm good question...I'd redo it because as I recall there is NO indicator of level in that processor...

G
  • Options
    One more hopefully quick question. Does the Bose processor do anything that could interfere with anything the DRPA is doing? Right now the only things on the DRPA that we're using are the limiter and xover for our subs & mains. I just want to make sure there isn't anything I need to make sure is turned off or set a certain way in the DRPA before I add the Bose processor into the mix.

Thanks again for all your help Gadget.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Is this a full range processor or does it have a x-over. If full range only, would it be better to have the Bose processor before or after the DRPA? Seems like there could be benefits to each way.
    1) Fully processed singnal split by the DRPA to highs and lows.
    2) High signal only processed by Bose.

I think I'd lean to #2 to avoid the sub from being colored, but who knows? (probably Gadget) 8)

DRA
  • Options
    I don't think there's a crossover in the bose processor, because it is only powering the mains and there's only one input on the speakers. it there was a crossover I'd have high and mid inputs right?
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Well the easiest way is if there are Left & Right inputs and Left & Right outputs ONLY (4 connections) then it does not have a crossover.

DRA
  • Options
    As I said...
    Yes run them both... mixer>DRPA>processor>bose, if you have the measurement mic do so with the processor on and functioning...
    No there isn't anything special to do...
    G