Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

PRX515 with SRX718s and a CROWN XTi2000

agentorangeagentorange Posts: 9
edited May 2009 in PA Configuration Wizard
-i feel that i'm all screwy with the settings:

500watts vs 800watts. passive vs powered.

-what are the best settings i can use for this setup (powered over passive)? what setting should I use for the high amp, being that it is powered?

the xover gains are set at a -4db or something close to it. should i set these to a higher db level? how shall i set the compression/speakeasy? eq?

i feel that since i have srx718s(passive) on the lows paired with the prx515(powered), i'm all screwy with settings. 500watts vs 800watts. passive vs powered.

driverack gods, how may i appease? please provide me with a full configuration; xover, gain, compression, limit, eq.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Comments

• DennisDennis Posts: 801
    I don't think you said which Driverack you have. The Driverack PA has settings for all of your gear. Go to \"2.10 Navigating the Wizard Section\" in the DRPA manual and let the wizard set you up.

Dennis
  • Dennis wrote:
    I don't think you said which Driverack you have. The Driverack PA has settings for all of your gear. Go to "2.10 Navigating the Wizard Section" in the DRPA manual and let the wizard set you up.

Dennis

i have a DRPA. i haven't found the settings for the active PRX515 in the wizard. do i need an upgrade in software?

also, does the wizard have the optimum settings for this setup? i have set the gains on 18db for high and low in XOVER. is this correct format? and i use the compresser screen gain as my master volume... is this also correct?

thanks for the help!
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Shock.gif

HOLLY CRAP!
    and i use the compresser screen gain as my master volume... is this also correct?

Good grief NO! that is dynamic suicide! IF and I mean IF you compress the whole mix at ALL you shouldn't even know it's happening...All the dynamics of the music will be sucked out and your dull sound will be far from live.

By 18 db you must mean a BW18 crossover slope perhaps? there IS no 18 db gain in the crossover...

Dude you need to go to the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section...there you will find a lot of good reading... you will find
    System setup and optimization
    Tips and tricks for auto EQ, feedback control and more
    You will find that you don't NEED to have a preset... setup is easy, and no presets are NOT properly optimized for your speakers ...even in the DRPX...
    There IS an upgrade for the DRPA ... but you have to send it in to DBX...

As for all screwy with the settings...don't worry about the power thing, go to the \"start here\" in the RMFBP and do a system setup, use 50 (about 11 o'clock position) as a starting point on the PRS Bridge the XTI and a 56 setting or about 1 o'clock...

This is all in the GUI .. you can download and set up..

BW18@35hz
    LR24@88.4

LR24@81.4 hz

2 PEQ's
    68.2 hz, Q 5.016, gain 2.0
    41.7 hz, Q 5.016, gain 1.5

These are the settings provided by JBL...

but get that comp out of the mix! use a gain structure as per the RMFBP section...and READ READ READ!
    Gadget
  • Gadget wrote:
    Shock.gif

HOLLY CRAP!
    and i use the compresser screen gain as my master volume... is this also correct?

Good grief NO! that is dynamic suicide! IF and I mean IF you compress the whole mix at ALL you shouldn't even know it's happening...All the dynamics of the music will be sucked out and your dull sound will be far from live.

By 18 db you must mean a BW18 crossover slope perhaps? there IS no 18 db gain in the crossover...

Dude you need to go to the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section...there you will find a lot of good reading... you will find
    System setup and optimization
    Tips and tricks for auto EQ, feedback control and more
    You will find that you don't NEED to have a preset... setup is easy, and no presets are NOT properly optimized for your speakers ...even in the DRPX...
    There IS an upgrade for the DRPA ... but you have to send it in to DBX...

As for all screwy with the settings...don't worry about the power thing, go to the "start here" in the RMFBP and do a system setup, use 50 (about 11 o'clock position) as a starting point on the PRS Bridge the XTI and a 56 setting or about 1 o'clock...

BW18@35hz
    LR24@88.4

LR24@81.4 hz

2 PEQ's

but get that comp out of the mix! use a gain structure as per the RMFBP section...and READ READ READ!
    Gadget

yes. i believe there is a H/M/L gain in the crossover section. it sets the hz level then the slope(?) then the gain. is this ok to use as gains>?

also, yes. i do put the compressor on; then hit (next page) then underneath "threshold" is a "gain" that i use as a master level.

this is all wrong??? holy crap!!! should i turn the compressor off? leave the crossover gains @ 0?

where do i find this read before post?

also the pa is for live music application. no djing. although, i do that as well.

what is RMFBP?
    READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING= RMFBP (acronym)
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/index.php?c=11
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=958
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=959
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=60

They are located at the front page just under the navigation bar at the top...

HELL NO I wouldn't run the master compressor as the system gain control!
    36_2_44anabsoluteno.gif
    read my takee on it here:
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1488
    yes. i believe there is a H/M/L gain in the crossover section. it sets the hz level then the slope(?) then the gain. is this ok to use as gains>?
    Yes, but I wouldn't use them exclusively ... I would check out the efficiency factors of the various speakers, and the power available. Then if the subs are less efficient.. and the amp isn't 2-3 times the RMS value of the speakers.. add gain @ the sub xover and leave the tops @ -0-

Since you don't have ANY WHERE NEAR rated power for those subs.. I\"d be careful...and use the setup I gave you but maybe raise the HPF of the subs to 40 hz...BW18
  • gadget,

hey thanks for the attention. god knows i need it. so a quick intro of myself: i've been djing since i was 11 and am now 27. so 16 years! just got into minimal sound tech stuff at the most, but as of recent i have evolved from djing into producing medium sized rock shows. i invested roughly 5-6 grand on a new rig. i have an old pair of yamahas powered by a qsc, as monitors. i just recently purchased the above listed with a driverack. i never purchased a sub myself, so now here i am... i am not entirely too knowledgeable but am eager to learn and pick up as much info as possible. i know for a fact that all the info is here; i just need to be patient and read thru a lot.

unfortunately, time has become my enemy! i work a 9-5 in manhattan and i'm trying to produce everything for my 1st show this friday, may 1st. so many things in the air! renting a stage, working with the venue owner, dealing with acts, promoting/advertising and dealing with the crap in the office! hahah... but you seem to have a magnanimous wealth of knowledge regarding the DRPA. i hate to seem like a leach, but would you happen to have a quick fix for my setup? some specs that will hold me over for the first show? i intend to learn my equipment thoroughly and even apply theory to optimize my rig, but now is crunch time that i don't have. i hope i don't come off on the wrong foot, but i'd appreciate all and any input you have.

you know my setup, all i ask for is whatever comes to mind:

(2) PRX515
    (2) SRX718
    (2) YAMAHA CLUBS SERIES (FORGOT THE WATTAGE)
    (1) XTI2000
    (1) CROWN USA 900
    (1) DBX DRPA

here is my myspace page:
    www.myspace.com/jerseycitymusicscene
    Dude....you are over extended! Doing sound for a multiple act event leaves zero time for anything else. Hire an experienced engineer, at least for this one gig, so you can deal with stage, venue owner, acts, advertising, etc. You don't want to crash and burn on your first show.

My $.02

Dennis
    Dude...did you read what I wrote?
    As for all screwy with the settings...don't worry about the power thing, go to the \"start here\" in the RMFBP and do a system setup, use 50 (about 11 o'clock position) as a starting point on the PRS Bridge the XTI and a 56 setting or about 1 o'clock...

BW18@35hz
    LR24@88.4

LR24@81.4 hz

2 PEQ's

MAKE DOUBLE SURE you do a system gain structure!
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=959

Do you have the measurement mic?

That IS setup info for your system...right from JBL...can you do better.. yes! but as you said it's a starting point...The rest is all in speaker placement, and the gain structure and system optimization provided in the FAQ section.... but as Dennis said... your way over extended...got a BE friend you can call on?

Thats NOT an overly large system for even small gigs...BTW e carefull... you could blow things up if your not careful...I might suggest as I said moving the HPF on the subs to 40 hz.. BTW an XTI 4000 would be a better amp for those subs...

G
  • hey dennis/gadget,

you're absolutley right! i am a little over extended with all of this. btw, i do have a sound guy. he's my classmate from high school, and is a sound engineer for a nickelodeon show; he's a good guy. my issue is that i want to know it for myself, being that it is all new equip. i want to be able to know if things are running are running smooth and if they are not. that's basically it.

also, gadget yes i have read it! thank you very much, but i'm still a little confused as to where the master gain is..... the board?
  • what is the GUI and where do i download?
    The gain structure you use to set the system up so everything is working in the same volume range...(speaking the same language) we also then know when the system is clipping...and we want to avoid this...the best way is to set the system gain then use the LIMITER to act as a virtual stop for peaks.. BUT a headroom of some sort should ALWAYS be maintained.. I like a minimum of 6-8 db THATS A MINIMUM... 12 would be better...I usually ran with closer to 20-28 (That would be -0- VU on the master output meters...where +28 db would be system clip (except for the amps as per the gain structure I posted .. \"Start here\" http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=61) where I use the MASTER FADERS as the system volume ... after setting each and every input channel master fader @ unity, and using the PFL on the channel and the input gain control to set the mix...then and only then do I use the master faders to set the overall system volume...then set up the limiter to capture inadvertent peaks...OR as in this post:
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1488
    where I discuss the ONLY way I would even CONSIDER compressing the whole mix!

36_2_25thumbsup.gif
    G
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Typically a novice using any Driverack for the 1st time AT the gig AND using most of the bells and whistles is asking for major problems. Set the x-over, manually adjust the GEQ, fire up the AFS and limiters. That is all you should use for now.

DRA
  • setting the xover, eq and limiters. that's all. hopefully my boy knows how to set up the gain structure. cause i know i'll be busy... but thanks guys. you're all a big help to the community! i will be back in a couple of days and let you know how i did.

thanks again.
  • also... i'm daisychaining my subs. is this a good practice? or should i run in stereo?

thanks.
    There is no real benefit either way. Whatever the easiest to set-up and connect way is fine. Most here prefer mono subs and one cable.

DRA
    That's a bad idea for one reason... ALL speaker cables should be the same length and originate from the same point...
    G
    And I thought I was anal....
    thjajaja121.gif

:oops:
    I thought you were talking about stereo vs daisy chaining amps? :cry: Shoulda gone back and read you gear list.

DRA