Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Portable driverack setup

Hey all,

Have searched around all over the net for the answer for this but have had no luck.. Just found this forum this evening and signed up in hope of finding my solution - however still no luck!

Basically, Ive just returned from my first international tour mixing FOH and have realised how pathetic the setups in some smaller venues are. For example - NO dynamics processing, VERY limited graphic EQ over the main mix, etc..
I have started building up a portable rig that I am able to take around with me from show to show (pretty basic - just starting off with compression and gating) - but was thinking I could look at getting a driverack system as an addition - to help with tuning the room and helping with any feedback issues that may arise. I always tune the room before setting up for a show, but have always focussed on eliminating problem-causing frequencies rather than getting a nice, flat sounding room. To be honest - im not great at achieving the latter at all. I have mixed at a venue in the past where I used a Driverack (not sure of the model) to do this and it was amazing!! So simple, yet so effective.
I have no idea if this would work, but basically what I was hoping I would be able to do is something along these lines - Have one of the simpler model driveracks in my portable rack used simply over the main stereo mix - before the in-house crossovers, etc etc.. This would mean using the driverack simply to EQ the system and help with feedback issues.
Is it at all possible to put this between the main outs and the crossover? Or would this cause problems? I know I wouldnt be using the driverack to its full potential (or anywhere near it for that matter), but these few features I have used in the past have made me realise how much time and effort I could save if I was able to incorporate this into my portable rig.

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere - if it has, just point me in that direction!

Cheers is advance ! :D

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,
    I believe that the the Driverack would become an invaluable asset in this endeavor.. It has improved EVERY system I have used it on, and not in a small way. There is no real problem placing the DR in the signal chain, it just ISN'T the optimum way...Do your self a favor though and get the 260... for your purpose it would be the best choice for no reason.. the 9 band GEQ... The way I picture it is.. you get into the room and try and get a close proximity pass on the Auto EQ using the GEQ...looking to flatten the speaker response (this would require getting the measurement mic close to the mains.. tops only needed though) You could then take a room measurement and compare them to see what the room is doing to the flattened speakers... this info could then be transferred to the PEQ's and adding the 4 in each output that gets you up to 13 peq's! PER SIDE!

Check out the System optimizing info we have compiled for you here:
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=959
    and a whole bunch of great tips and tricks here:
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=60

As the guys here know.. \"you won't leave home without it!\"

BTW when I guest BE.. I crawl up the systems ass with a microscope... and make sure EVERY driver is in phase, and working together before I start...I bet you would also benefit from this:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--GXYCPTS

does that help?
    Gadget
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    In addition to everything Gadget said, I would bypass the house EQ and crossover and let the Driverack do everything it was designed to do. Wire it in directly between the mixer and the drive lines to the amps. For a starting point, copy xover points from the house XO and fine tune them as you go.

Dennis
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    +1 for the 260.

DRA
  • Options
    Ya... what he said!
    045.gif
  • Options
    I have gotten to the point that with the 260 and Measurement mic I can walk in.. hook up to any given system and in 1/2 hour I have all drivers checked, gain structure, EQ, and delay's set...I usually insist that if there isn't a digital processor already installed that I use my rack...
    G
  • Options
    Ok wicked guys, thanks a lot!
    I would love to look at getting the 260, but to be honest, Im not sure my budget at this point would allow it.. Would you not recommend the PA at all?
  • Options
    geez...International tour... wanting to have it all... wanting to be able to have the best you can have...a couple hundred more...
    The DRPA is WAY better than nothing...but the 260 is the BOMB! We were just trying to save you from the same thing we went through...buying the DRPA and THEN finding out there was something 500 times better for a few dollars more...well... priceless

I just wish I had a gig...

:roll:
  • Options
    Yup. What he said.
    I have both a DRPA and a DR260 and bought them in that order.

Dennis
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Same with me. Within a week I stated saving for a 260. I still use both. There is a used 260 on sale on PSW now for $450. A new one is $700.

DRA
  • Options
    I bought my 260 new on ebay for $599/free ship. I have seen others at the same price since then. Since that is about $125 below dealer cost, maybe these deals are somewhat \"informal\".
  • Options
    Did you get a serial number and was it from an authorized dealer... should you have a problem...and all...THAT'S what's important

G
  • Options
    Yes on the serial number. Don't know on the authorized dealer.

Dennis
  • Options
    I guess it's a moot point that I have had -0- problems with my ...
    PX
    PA
    2X260
    and
    and in some cases...within the aforementioned...6 years of near daily use...

NOTE: your mileage may vary...

:roll: :? :lol::lol:
  • Options
    I don't need no stinkin' warranty....
  • Options
    g8393.gif
  • Options
    Dennis wrote:
    I bought my 260 new on ebay for $599/free ship. I have seen others at the same price since then. Since that is about $125 below dealer cost, maybe these deals are somewhat "informal".

See, the main issue I am facing (still havent purchased either the PA or the 260, haha), is that the RRP for the PA is $1599, and the 260 $2699..... So theyre both very expensive, and there is quite a significant difference between the two.....
  • Options
    That is in New Zealand dollars of course..
  • Options
    So put it in perspective for us....how much does a gallon of milk cost there in New Zealand dollars?

Dennis
  • Options
    So, after doing the math, the exchange rate doesn't track with your Driverack prices...which means your government is charging a huge import duty. What happens if you buy on ebay from someone in the US? How much tax are you charged?

Dennis