Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

Aux fed subs hook-up

smurraysmurray Posts: 25
edited May 2009 in PA Connectivity
I just recently read about the concept of feeding the subs through an aux send, and it sounds like something I'd really like to try. The problem is I have no idea how to actually hook everything up through the DRPA. Right now I'm running a stereo mix, but I don't actually use it since everything is panned to the center. I could just as easily run mono, so that's not a problem. I currently am only using the xover and limiter features of the DRPA (it was purchased by the church on a whim and nobody really knows how to use it to its full potential). My question is, how would I go about hooking everything up in order to try running the subs through an aux send?

I tried searching, and found a couple threads talking about this topic, however I couldn't find one that specifically talks about how to do it.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Well... I'm guessing you probably missed the FAQ section here... and thusly the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section...there you will find this:
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1469

You also missed the \" provide ALL system equipment components or you won't get ANY answers ... part of the READ ME section... without that I cannot go any further...
    Gadget
  • Options
    smurraysmurray Posts: 25
    I did read that, but as I said I didn't see where it actually told me how to do it. I saw where it gave a general overview of the process, but I was looking for more step by step kind of directions. If it did say it in there, then it was said in such a way that went way over my head.

As for posting my entire system, I guess I didn't really see the relevance to the question I was asking. But if that's what it will take, then here goes. Mackie cfx16.mkII mixer, DriveRackPA, 2x QSC RMX1450 amps (one for mains, one for subs), QSC RMX850 amp (for monitors), Bose 802 Series II mains w/ Bose 802-c processor (yes I know they suck), 2x Yamaha CW115v subs, 2x peavey stage monitors.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You know... there is a reason for the requests for information here...Do you not see my avatar? I'm/were tired of having to drag the information out of people in order to help them...I also don't see why we have to justify requiring information for helping you for free...Sorry... but we need the info, and that's the price of our help.. in your case it's to see if you have the basic equipment necessary to even DO aux fed subs...In your case you can, but the DRPA has most modules tied together... including the limiters...

Here is the sequence..
    Mixer feed master out from Left or Right master or Y cable sum to DRPA right channel in... outs from right channel \"hi\" outs...
    Aux 1 or 2 ..post fader master send(labeled Aux send 1/2 next to the utility outs...yes you'll need a converter from 1/4\" balanced, or unbalanced to XLRM... BTW all info gleaned from the equipment list... ) (see I looked the mixer up...), to DRPA left input... output from Left mono out (DRPA) to subs...
    DRPA set to dual mono...and 2X3 setup...

Use the HPF filters on each channel NOT in the subs... use the \"per channel\" aux send to send ONLY what you want to send to the subs...I.E.
    Kick
    Bass
    Keyboard
    Floor tom...
    Using Dual mono EACH channel needs to be processed separately...on the separated modules...especially GEQ/PEQ...

That enough?... I f not, use a Google search... type in (Aux fed subs\") in the search field...

Otherwise, the PSW link I posted in the RMFBP section has a tone of stuff in the study hall...

Gadget
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    So smurray...while you are sitting back sipping from that large mug of relevance that Gadget just served up think about this. If you feed subs through an aux, as you increase the level you will raise the acoustic lo/mid crossover point at the same time. That may or may not work out for you. If you get to the point of time aligning your subs, you will skew it by changing the level of the sub in relation to the mid.

Then again, at this point in time, you might not really be worried about it.

Dennis
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Wouldn't you have to \"Y\" the L&R high DRPA outputs going to the amp(s) to get the upper content of the aux feed to the mains.
    If mixing mono can you just use the channel pans and R & L as groups and not uses the aux's at all?

Inquiring minds and all.... :wink:

DRA