Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion

Full Range from one set of outputs?

vacosoundvacosound Posts: 4
I'm using a set of full range boxes with a couple 18\" subs. Right now I have the full range boxes crossed over at 100Hz. Is there a way to set Outputs 1 and 2 to be full range and Outputs 3 and 4 to be for the subs crossed over at around 100?

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Yes. Are you using the GUI?

There are a couple of problems with doing what you're doing though. (I'll assume your wanting to utilize the low end respond of the top cabs to give a bigger sound?) Problem #1 is loss of vocal clarity because the speakers are working much harder (moving a lot more) to reproduce the lower tones. Problem #2 is phasing interaction of the top cab woofers (12s or 15s, I assume again) producing the same tones as the 18\" subs. In doing so you may actually lose low end response, or be very \"loby\" through out the room.
    I'll stop guessing your set-up now, before a give any more suggestions. (RMFBP...)

DRA
  • vacosoundvacosound Posts: 4
    I do know this breaks all the rules. The boxes are meant to run full range with subs, at least thats what the controller for them calls it. On the other hand I just got some tuning tips from Community that recommend high passing at 100Hz.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    ya, but that means crossing the subs OUT @ 100 hz and the fullrange tops IN @ 100hz...that doesn't mean running the tops down any lower than the crossover point...no speakers were MEANT to run fullrange with subs...it's just bad juju...they may be ABLE to run fullrange, that doesn't mean they SHOULD... As Dra said you will get better performance out of the tops by limiting the amount of low end they are expected to put out.

Yes you can send any input to any output on the 260...set up a 2X3 (mono subs) or 2x4 in the wizard. The default mode will set the outputs 1 and 2 as the left and right High outs, and 3 and 4 as the left and right low outs...(you can change the names in the config mode as well) If your tops and subs and amps are in the menu select them or select \"custom\". This can all be done with the GUI using the \"config\" mode as well...(from the front panel as well but it's not fun!)

Then load the new program, and select the XOVER... there, set the HPF and LPF for the sub ...I recommend BW 18 for the HPF and LR24 for the LPF, as for the tops LR24 HPF and and if you even use an LPF BW, or LR 6 or so

Gadget
    \"Full Range\" :?:
    If they were full range, you wouldn't need a sub. That's just a loose term meaning that it has SOME output in every octive of typical human hearing.

What Communoty boxes and controller?

DRA
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    \"no speakers were MEANT to run fullrange with subs...it's just bad juju...they may be ABLE to run fullrange, that doesn't mean they SHOULD... \"

That opinion seems to be shifting ever so slightly. The darkside is calling out to you. None of the \"regulars\" on the following PSW forum thread rule out the use of a crossover point overlap. Read the entire thread.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/309172/0/?srch=crossover+overlap#msg_309172

Dennis
    Dennis, when you get through with that can of worms, can I have them? I want to go fishing.
    :lol:
    DRA
    A man needs a purpose and I've decided to make this my mission in life.

Dennis
    Worm wrangling? :shock:
    Call it what you will. You won't deter me.

Dennis
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ya I agree that the crossover point overlap/space varies... but this is not the place to be trying to explain how that works... with the level of expertise here and the lack of tools to accomplish the task of determining the correct crossover points...unless you have a way that doesn't require an FFT measurement device...
    :?
    I think we had this discussion before about this not being the correct forum for this topic and I promised to STFU. I guess I forgot. Damn, you can't take me any place....

I asked my friend about this topic and he sent me an email that may partially support your opinion. I am going to forward it to you a bit later.

Dennis