Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity

Inquiry about connections of driverack pa

czarkhanpeczarkhanpe Posts: 11
edited June 2009 in PA Connectivity
Hi, Iam new here, I just want to ask for some help on how to connect our gear ...

we have:

mackie vlz14
driverack PA
carvin power amp
SPL Powered stage monitors
Generic front of house spakers passive

hope you can help me out...

thanks

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    And you expect to then run a mono FOH on one side of the DRPA and the monitors on the other?
  • czarkhanpeczarkhanpe Posts: 11
    is it possible to set it up like this?

mixer-drpa-stereo out to power amp-fh speaker

i will be inputting my powered monitors in the two of the six outputs?
    can i input my power amp to the High and the powered monitor to the mid?
    Gadget wrote:
    And you expect to then run a mono FOH on one side of the DRPA and the monitors on the other?

will it be possible to input my FOH to the High input and the powered stage monitors to the mid input?
    Well...you would NOT have full control of each...if your content to send the stage just what the mains get... and that's not totally unreasonable...yes ... you could quite easily...

G
    Gadget wrote:
    Well...you would NOT have full control of each...if your content to send the stage just what the mains get... and that's not totally unreasonable...yes ... you could quite easily...

G

may i ask how could i have full control of each?
    will it be possible also if i just connect my powered monitors to the control room input of my mackie vlz14 instead?
    Well with the DRPA you would have to set up a dual mono setup and then run FOH mono and you'd have one monitor setup as well.. It's customary to run the monitor off a pre fader aux send from the mixer though...
    G
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    CSAR,
    Set up a dual mono.
    2 x 4 x-over.
    Set high filter to the -3db point of speakers BW18
    Set low filters to the -3db point of monitors BW18 and 16K (or so, or out) LR24
    -
    Mono house mix into Left In DRPA.
    DRPA Left High out to FOH.
    -
    Mono monitor mix into Right In DRPA.
    DRPA Right Low out to monitor.
    Jump mon to mon.

This gives you a 28 band GEQ (each) for FOH & monitors.
    Gain control for each in the x-over section.
    3 PEQs for FOH and 2 for Monitors.
    Limiters for each.
    AFS is common.

If you wanted, you could have 2 PEQs for each moniter, by setting up a 2x6. Folow the same pattern as above, but put 1 monitor on Right Mid out. Still share the GEQ though.

DRA
    Dra wrote:
    CSAR,
    Set up a dual mono.
    2 x 4 x-over.
    Set high filter to the -3db point of speakers BW18
    Set low filters to the -3db point of monitors BW18 and 16K (or so, or out) LR24
    -
    Mono house mix into Left In DRPA.
    DRPA Left High out to FOH.
    -
    Mono monitor mix into Right In DRPA.
    DRPA Right Low out to monitor.
    Jump mon to mon.

This gives you a 28 band GEQ (each) for FOH & monitors.
    Gain control for each in the x-over section.
    3 PEQs for FOH and 2 for Monitors.
    Limiters for each.
    AFS is common.

If you wanted, you could have 2 PEQs for each moniter, by setting up a 2x6. Folow the same pattern as above, but put 1 monitor on Right Mid out. Still share the GEQ though.

DRA

thank you so much for the info

basically

mono mix to left drpa
    then drpa left high out to power amp

then

powered monitors into right drpa
    then drpa right low out into my powered monitors again?

will it be possible to input my powered monitors to the control room input of my mixer? or are there any simplier options to connect?
    my apologies because this is the first time i will be doing this...
    I'd use the #1 pre-fader Aux for monitors. When you have them set the house mix / channel levels will not affect the monitor mix. The control room is more of a cue output like for headphones, except going to an amp. You'll need two TRS (1/4') to XLR (M). One for the mono output and one for Aux 1 output to the DRPA.

DRA
    Dra wrote:
    I'd use the #1 pre-fader Aux for monitors. When you have them set the house mix / channel levels will not affect the monitor mix. The control room is more of a cue output like for headphones, except going to an amp. You'll need two TRS (1/4') to XLR (M). One for the mono output and one for Aux 1 output to the DRPA.

DRA

will it be possible if I connect my powered monitors to the aux send of my mixer?

however, my question is , the manual of my mixer says that i connect my powered monitors to AUX1 only, and it is only a TRS input... how can i deal with this?

thanks again
    A 1/4\"TRS out is easily converted to an XLR...the protocol is the same... they are available pre made.. or as I do, you can make your own.. I assume the reason they say #1 aux send is that it is the ONLY pre fader aux...I DID tell you that in my post way back... BTW...
    G
    I thought you wanted to run the monitors thru the DRPA so you would have an EQ.

DRA
    Dra wrote:
    I thought you wanted to run the monitors thru the DRPA so you would have an EQ.

DRA

yes it would be great to run my powered monitors thru the DRPA....
    right now it is running from the mixer's aux1 send only...

my setup right nw is like this:

mixer-into DRPA-power amp
    aux1 send to the monitors

im just confused with the procedure on how to run my powered monitors thru the DRPA? and what are the connectors needed again?

i would love to have it running thru the DRPA to maximize the sound
    AGAIN...Set up a 2x2 ...this you would do in the wizard... this gives you a path for the \"generic tops\", say the left input, and a path for the powered monitors... right input. this gives us the ability to treat them MOSTLY separately...

So the path is...

Mixer main out (if you had a mono out all the better but either left or right out would work as long as the PAN controls on all the channels remain centered...) to DRPA left input...

Mixer aux 1 send converted from 1/4\" TRS to XLR M

DRPA left HI out to carvin power amp > generic FOH spkrs
    DRPA right mid out > powered monitors

You can...
    Auto EQ each separately
    PEQ each separately
    GEQ each separately

You cannot separately:
    use anything after the GEQ and before the Crossover...they are tied together.

Set up a band pass filter for each output... (simply pull down the HPF of the two outputs to a suitable frequency.. without exact model and make an accurate hipass is not possible...

G
    Gadget wrote:
    AGAIN...Set up a 2x2 ...this you would do in the wizard... this gives you a path for the "generic tops", say the left input, and a path for the powered monitors... right input. this gives us the ability to treat them MOSTLY separately...

So the path is...

Mixer main out (if you had a mono out all the better but either left or right out would work as long as the PAN controls on all the channels remain centered...) to DRPA left input...

Mixer aux 1 send converted from 1/4" TRS to XLR M

DRPA left HI out to carvin power amp > generic FOH spkrs
    DRPA right mid out > powered monitors

You can...
    Auto EQ each separately
    PEQ each separately
    GEQ each separately

You cannot separately:
    use anything after the GEQ and before the Crossover...they are tied together.

Set up a band pass filter for each output... (simply pull down the HPF of the two outputs to a suitable frequency.. without exact model and make an accurate hipass is not possible...

G

thank you so much for this!
    would apply this set up after our worship service today

just want to clear out...I will put the mixer aux1 send converted trs to xlr thru the DRPA's right input?

then i will put the DRPA left HI out into the Left in of carvin power amp?

many thanks
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Mixer Aux 1 out - DRPA right in - DRPA Right mid out - Powered monitor's input(s)

Mixer Left Master out - DRPA left in - DRPA Left high out - Carvin Amp left AND right in.

I am assuming you are using both sides of the amp for your FOH speakers. If there is a switch on the back of the amp that will engage \"Parallel\" mode, you can then connect to \"left input\" only and signal will be routed to the right input internally.

If this is a DRPA 2X4 configuration, the DR monitor output will be \"DRPA Right low out\" because \"right mid\" will not be available.

Dennis
    Dennis wrote:
    Mixer Aux 1 out - DRPA right in - DRPA Right mid out - Powered monitor's input(s)

Mixer Left Master out - DRPA left in - DRPA Left high out - Carvin Amp left AND right in.

I am assuming you are using both sides of the amp for your FOH speakers. If there is a switch on the back of the amp that will engage "Parallel" mode, you can then connect to "left input" only and signal will be routed to the right input internally.

If this is a DRPA 2X4 configuration, the DR monitor output will be "DRPA Right low out" because "right mid" will not be available.

Dennis

thanks so much

will try it out