Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

Crossover elimination

ShoupaloopShoupaloop Posts: 7
edited June 2009 in PA Connectivity
I have a situation and I just want to run this by a few pros before I decide to alter my system.

I own a pair of 2X15 Soundtech speakers with 2\" compression driver. They are bi-amped (using 3 amps - one amp bridged for each lower end and one stereo amp for both compression drivers.) Lower wattage is 1600 each and the uppers are 350 watts each. I currently use the Driverack as a crossover and Auto EQ. At a gig last saturday, the speaker was knocked over backwards and the 1/4 jacks went completely through the crossover plate. The crossover is discontinued and no longer available. It's quite a complex crossover, so repairing it is a longshot.

My idea is to replace the crossover/connection plate on the rear of the speaker with just two sets of binding posts wired direct to each speaker and let the Driverack be the crossover instead. The min crossover freq on the exisiting crossover is 2khz and I think that I set the Driverack at 2.5 khz. My gut feeling tells me that wiring the speakers direct to the amp and using the DR as the crossover will be fine, but I just want to make certain before I hook it up and fry something else that I can't get a replacement for. I would hate to waste a set of very nice $1500 speakers due to a bad crossover. I've even looked at other mfg's crossovers but can't find anything rated at 900+ wattRMS/1800+ watt program like the originals.

Any thoughts, warnings, or ideas appreciated!

(speakers) Soundtech STUSA215
(amps) Sountech STX1600 and Sountech STX800
Driverack PA
Tascam X17 Club Mixer

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Have you contacted Soundtech about a repair or replacement?

Dennis
  • Options
    Yes, it is discontinued and no longer available. They recommended repairing it, which I doubt will be possible - particularly with a show this Saturday. I asked their tech about using the DR as the crossover and bypassing/eliminating their crossover all together and he said that should be fine. Again, just wanting to make sure before I slice n' splice....
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You said you were Bi-amping before right? When bi-amping, the crossover is \"USUALLY\" bypassed anyway...In the case of a three way there is sometimes a bi-amp capability is incorporated in the crossover ... not in your case though...

I'm pretty sure I could get that crossover back up and running...not by next weekend probably..but if your Bi-amping you won't need it. You will need to close the hole in the back... and why would you use binding posts? Why not use Speakon connectors? 1/4 inch jacks are NOT rated (and PLEASE a crossover that's rated at 900 watts :lol::lol::lol: sounds like something Carvin would do...) for that kind of power transfer...

Gadget
  • Options
    Cool. Makes sense to me...

The cables I have are 1/4\" and banana. I figured if I went binding post on the speakers, I could just cut the 1/4 plugs off the existing cables and save $150 dollars or so. The amps ends are binding post or bare wire and I came from a home theatre background where everything is binding posts (unless it's spring clip cheapies...) so that was my only reasoning there. I can look into some speakon connectors, but the amp end still won't be.

Yes, I will definitely seal the back cavity off. I was thinking about some thick aluminum plate, maybe sealed with a rubber gasket just to make sure it doesn't leak. I don't have the measurements on the crossover with me, otherwise I could try to find something that drops right in (or enlarge the hole slightly to make it fit.)
  • Options
    If it's a fixed install then not a big deal but if your mobile...get the speakons, and save yourself a lot of setup time over the long haul...otherwise you better make darn sure you identify well the wires so you don't wire the speakers up backwards.. a blast of 20hz-2khz will cook those diaphragms...real quick...

You could go binding post to panel mount speakon at the amp rack, and then speakon (NL4..that has 4 terminals ..2 for the woofer 1+ and 1-, and 2 for the tweeter 2+ and 2-...) 4 conductor cables for the runs to the speakers (thats how we do it in prosound these days...)
    G
    P.S. there are some tips for bi-amping any 2 way system (15\" woofer and 1\" exit tweeter) in the FAQ section...
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1081
  • Options
    Thanks for the help! Great info! I went with speakons and i found a recessed/angled panel so this won't happen again if they get toppled over. The panel measurements look like it may sit sideways in the recess, so the connectors would be oriented right on top of eachother. That would make it super easy to hook up...the top plug is for the hi and the bottom plug will be for the woofers. If it doesn't sit that way, I am definitely going to label them so nothing gets fried...

Again, thanks for the useful info!
  • Options
    I went with speakons and i found a recessed/angled panel so this won't happen again if they get toppled over
    if thats true...that your going with speakons, then why...
    .the top plug is for the hi and the bottom plug will be for the woofers. If it doesn't sit that way, I am definitely going to label them so nothing gets fried...

Since a speakon NL4 is one plug, that carries 4 connections... then a 4 wire
    cable (or 2/2 conductors in a pinch... just doesn't look a professional) so you would only need 1 plug... or to parallel out, use 2 plugs... Are you getting this?
    G
  • Options
    I understand the 4 pole...I went with 2 pole speakons, because I can convert the cables I already have. The plates have two holes, so I figured it would be no problem using both - I'm used to that from having the previous 1/4\" set up, and the chance of hooking it up improperly is minimal.
  • Options
    Cool... you go! Just color code them in case someone else \"helps\"Shock.gifyou...uh.gif
  • Options
    Saturday's gig went perfect. The sound quality was the best ever with that system. DR PA is such a great tool. I will probably experiment with the lf/hf crossover point and roll off to see if gets even better. The lows rolled off at 40 HZ steep made such a big difference in the low-end response of that speaker, I am thinking about NOT getting subs now. Thanks again for the help!
  • Options
    RacertrashRacertrash Posts: 59
    Get the subs, if you like what you have now, you will love subs,

You can take what Gadjet told you to the next level. You can do a true 3 way system.

I would use NL 8's from the amp rack to the subs, and nl4's from the sub to the top box. Then you can run one cable from your rack to the sub and one jumper from the sub to the top box. Very fast and very neat!!

I know that some of the wire I talked about is expensive but you can get it pretty cheap at Cameltraders,

Remember this, A lot of guys only use one amp rack, and it normally sits closer to one side. That would allow you to have one NL'8 run that was 80 feet long and one that was 20 feet long to save a couple of bucks. There are a few that will argue that doing this will effect the amps damping and it will but not enough for you to notice.

I am lucky and I run two amp racks and I place them right behind each stack, They cable runs are very short but you must run power to each side.

Good luck