Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PX
Options

Configuring px

micho269micho269 Posts: 30
edited June 2009 in DriveRack PX
I talked today to RCF company and they told me that when using level of speaker at 50%, this will destroy the speaker.The speaker should be at full volume and the control of the speakers should be through the mixer.
My Question is that when adjusting the speaker to full volume i have to to put the level on the dbx panel on 100% ,if yes would it be a problem for the DRPX.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Did you talk to an engineer, tech support or a sales rep / recertionist? Was there an explanation as to why that would destroy the speaker?

JBL recommends about 50% for their PRX line and as low as 26% for the Eon line. Mackie says about 50% as well. My Yorkville NX's like about 40-45% to get rid of amp hiss.

Odd that they would say that.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Who ever you talked to is a KNOB! If you look on the back of the speaker...on the volume control...see how the dots get bigger in a clockwise position till at the strait up position there is an arrow pointing DOWN... THAT is the unity gain position... cranking the gain will increase the noise floor but won't get you ANY more volume when the speaker is hit with the proper level from the Driverack...usually under 2.44Volts RMS.. the manual is particularly scarce on this point... HOWEVER if the speaker will be damaged if you don't run it wide open.. WHY HAVE A VOLUME CONTROL! That's a complete load of CRAP!
    tietumao019.gif
    If you put the level on the Driverack @ 100%, and have the Level on the speaker @ 100% you very well COULD blow things up...

Our advice stands...
    Put the amp control @ 1/2 way where the arrow points DOWN...

Do a gain structure between the mixer and the Driverack.....make sure that when the mixer clips that the Driverack is BELOW clipping, but has a good strong signal on the input...

Start out with the crossover gains in the Driverack @ unity -0- if you need more volume on the tops then increase the gain of the crossover volume first...NOTE when the top LED on the back starts to flicker YOUR GOING TO NEED TO TURN DOWN as the speaker is at full usable volume...if the limiter light continues to more then flicker OCCASIONALLY you WILL cause damage...

Once you have the tops volume set the way you like it...then turn the sub up till it balances with the tops...Balanced means the tops and subs are about the proper volume between each other...

Apply the PEQ we talked about to attempt to flatten the subs 100hz peak...

gadget