Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

What is the world is Sunn?

DraDra Posts: 3,777
Here is a hint.

Not limited to Pro audio, but also is in a closely linked field. Also is (was) a part of a very famous musical family.

DRA

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Is this a trick question?
  • Options
    Wait! I got it. Pete Townshend used Sunn amplifiers on stage in 1967 and 1968. Were members of The Who related?

Dennis
  • Options
    Replace the word \"family\" with \"company\" for more clarity. I bet Wayne Campbel would know.

DRA
  • Options
    Oh. I bet you're closer than I thought with the Pete ....

DRA
  • Options
    Sun Records? No second \"n\" in Sun.
  • Options
    Sorry.

Hint.

One product is Sunn Spots.
    DRA
  • Options
    Sunn Lighting?
  • Options
    There is (was) a \"NSI\" type controller and dimmer pack line. They also had power amps. Don't know what else they had.

Here's the kicker. Fender was the parent company.

DRA
  • Options
    The Sunn Coliseum Bass was one of many products manufactured by the Sunn Musical Equipment company. Sunn was purchased by Fender in the mid 80s. I can find no connection between Sunn Musical Equipment and Sunn Lighting. http://sunn.ampage.org/site/

Dennis
  • Options
    I thought... Apagee :?: :!: , but no...Ampage.

The light controller and dimmer that I have (but haven't used in years) have that eye ball thing with the dettached retina symbol. ((O))))

So, the winner is...... Dennis!

DRA
  • Options
    And for anyone who cares, the following was borrowed from Wikipedia without permission:
    In early 1963, The Kingsmen, a band based in the U.S. state of Oregon, became famous for the song \"Louie, Louie\". The song made The Kingsmen household names as it progressed up the charts. With a hit single under their belts, The Kingsmen soon embarked on a fifty-state national tour. Because the band was used to playing small hops and school dances, many of the members found themselves ill-equipped with the amplifiers that they were currently using. Bassist Norm Sundholm discovered that his bass amp was not nearly powerful enough to play larger concert halls. Sundholm enlisted the help of his brother Conrad to help solve his problem. By 1964, the Sundholm brothers had designed the world's first high powered concert bass amplifier. By 1965, the demand for Sundholm's amplifiers had increased to the point where the family garage could no longer be used as the manufacturing facility. Thus, the Sunn Musical Equipment Company was born.

Dra...I assume you were refering to Apogee Sound (Speaker manufacturer) and also refering to the Sunn website's amp page. Your lighting equipment with the Sunn logo has me stumped. I guess I have to dig deeper.

Dennis
  • Options
    http://sunn.ampage.org/site/

apagee
    ampage

It was a periphreal vision thing. You know, like when you think that you caught Jennifer Aniston out of the corner of your eye. But when you turned to look, it was Verne Troyer (Minnie Me). :lol:

DRA
  • Options
    That's a very funny analogy.

So, there does appear to be a connection between Sunn Lighting and Sunn Musical Equipment and I can find info on both but no info on a connection. My theory is that Sunn Musical Equipment Company at some point decided they should round out their product line by adding some lighting and they sourced it out to China.

Dennis