Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity

System Design

mcqueenermcqueener Posts: 16
edited June 2009 in PA Connectivity
I just purchased the DriveRack PA+ and am using a Alesis MultiMix8Line mixer,2 - Crown CE4000 amps and the following speakers: 2 -Klipsch KP362,2 - Klipsch KP262, 2 - Klipsch KP480 and 2 - Behringer E1800X.I use this system to play music for my lakes 4th of July celebration with a SACD palyer as my source.Do I need another amp and how should I configure the system for optimum sound?

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    More info is needed.. those speakers are discontinued and couldn't find info...on the Klipsch... and more info on what you are doing with them...
    Gadget
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Can you give us more specifics of what you want to achieve? The purpose of the set-up?

DRA
  • mcqueenermcqueener Posts: 16
    Iuse this system to do an outdoor music presentation for my lake on the 4th of July.KP480's are 18\" subwoofer with power handling of 400 watts.Max continuous output - 127db,crossover freq. 150Hz,Impedance 8 ohms KP362 12\" 3-way w/horn tweeter, power handling of 400 watts,crossover frequency of 800Hz and 6 Hz,KP262 - 10\" 2 - Way with horn tweeter.Power handling 250 watts,Crossover Frequency 1.4 khz
    Still looking for what you are doing? Sound for 100' wide? 1000' wide? What is the coverage area? We'll assume that this is fireworks accompaniement (sp) only.

DRA
    100 wide
    All things considered, I'd set up a 2 x 6, which from the wizard is custom, bi-amp, w/ sub.
    Low: (subs)
    HPF 40hz BW18
    LPF 120hz LR24

Mids: (10\")
    HPF 120hz LR24
    LPF out

Highs: (12\")
    HPF 55 (or 60)hz BW18

Put the subs & 10's (together) in the center, splayed to cover the center. Put the 12's out on each side and just work out where the outer placements and at what angle they need to be.

DRA
    Thank you very much for your help.I am obviously very green regarding this subject.Could you please go into detail of exactly how the amp's hookup to the speakers?Also should I consider offering another amp to the system?Finally does it make sense that a speaker cable going into my passive subs and going out of the sub to my full range speaker would work?
    That only works if the sub is set up with 4-cond speakons inputs. You have to have special cables for that, and the amps have to be capable (the Crowns are), but....

If you want to run stereo, you'll need another amp. For that wide of a coverage, stereo is not practicle, unless to did a L-R-L, with the center speaker being the right and the outer speaker being left, and the subs being mono. (4 channels).

I recommend mono for you application.

I just recalled that you have the B'ger subs also. We don't recommend mixing subs, unless they are similar. Are the Klipsch 1 x 18 front loaded also? If yes, are they rated 400w cont, rms, program, peak? What?
    I'll wait for your response.

DRA
    One 18\" K-49- K die cast aluminum frame woofer and one 15\" KD-17 passive radiator Not sure if that is what you need?
    You said that the klipsch subs were 400 watt power handling. Is that all is says? Nothing else?
    [44.7v]
    What if I bought a Crown XLS802 and ran all 4 sub's off of it?Would I then run each set of speakers with a ce4000 ane mid and the other high?
    What I am worried about is the power rating compared to the B'ger's. Those are 400/800/1600. With only \"400w power handling\" as a guide, it could be 400/800/1600, 200/400/800, or even 100/200/400. Any assumption either costs you output potential or melts your speakers.

Gadget, Dennis... care to make a guess here?

DRA
    I spoke with Klipsch and they ae confident the Sub can handled additional unclipped power.Does the system make sense with three amps?If I run the 2 pair of full range speakers with seperate amp's[mid,high],can I with the DBX unit filter out low frequencies?
    Yes, the 2x6, or 2x5 (mono sub), set-up I gave is just that, but all subs have to cross the same. You could put the B'gers pair on one side of a CE4000 and the Kl's on the other. That way, you don't have to buy and if one pair starts to fart, you can turn that side of the amp down some.

DRA
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    A DJ who posted on the Klipsch website forum indicated he didn't hear audible distortion until he was pumping a full 2500 Watts peak into a pair of KP 480. I don't recommend trying it but it is more info than we had before.

Dennis
    If I did not buy the other amp would I run each set of full range off of one channel of the other CE4000.If I bought the other amp would I have an overall better system.
    Maybe he was referring to a 2500w @ 4ohm bridged amp but was running 1 per side stereo. Roughly 500w @ 8ohm / side? Even if, they should hold their own with the B'gers.

DRA
    mcqueener wrote:
    If I did not buy the other amp would I run each set of full range off of one channel of the other CE4000.If I bought the other amp would I have an overall better system.

Yes.
    No.
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Here's the entire thread...go to the last post.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/114472/1153707.aspx

Dennis
    I bought the other amp,any advice?
    What is it and what do you want to do with it?

DRA
    Crown XLS802 that will drive all sub's Each CE4000 will drive the KP262 and KP362's. I will use preset #24 on the driverack which is the fullrange setting.What is your advice to set the frequecy cut off's?
    Dra wrote:
    All things considered, I'd set up a 2 x 6, which from the wizard is custom, bi-amp, w/ sub.
    Low: (subs)
    HPF 40hz BW18
    LPF 120hz LR24

Mids: (10")
    HPF 120hz LR24
    LPF out

Highs: (12")
    HPF 55 (or 60)hz BW18

Put the subs & 10's (together) in the center, splayed to cover the center. Put the 12's out on each side and just work out where the outer placements and at what angle they need to be.

DRA

Why are you setting up a fullrange preset? That gives you no subs.

Gadget , Dennis...

Subs
    XLS802 400w per speaker
    CE4000 600w per speaker

What say you(s)?
    I lean to a CE on the 12", a CE on subs and the XLS on the 10". Or is the XLS a better sub amp, even with the lower power?

DRA
    DBX tech support brought up the full range.They said I could still go back and set frequncy cut off's Opinion - ?
    I'll stand by my recommendation. It is good experience to create a custom preset with the wizard.
    Hoprfully final question - What is HPF,LPF,BW18 and LR24?
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I don't think there's a chance the Behringer subs will be able to even keep up with the tops especially without a ton of power to throw at them...

I would also set up a custom preset, and without knowing a whole lot more about the tops I'd splay them for at least 100 degree coverage on each side...or set up in the middle and do a 360degree thing :idea:

I'd set up the way Dra said maybe too...
    G
    FYI - I sent you an email regarding my system
    mcqueener wrote:
    Hoprfully final question - What is HPF,LPF,BW18 and LR24?

High Pass Filter (Low cut)
    Low Pass Filter (High cut)

Filter order - Butterworth, Links Riley, Bessel, etc
    18, 24, etc - db per octive drop off

DRA