Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PX
Options

Setting up my system w/subs for the first time

big mootbig moot Posts: 2
edited June 2009 in DriveRack PX
Greetings,

I play in a R&B cover band. We play in small to medium venues. My system lacked low end punch, so I purchased some active subs for it. I'm going to set the system up Friday (gain structure, crossover settings, the balance the tops and subs).

I want that \"in your chest\" kick drum sound, but could not achieve it with just the tops. That's why I purchaced the subs.

My drummer is an older dude and grew up in the 70's so he feels like he has to have a double kick set. They sound good accoustically, and we mic them with two AKG D112's (one per kick at the front head through a small hole)

The only other mic's on stage are vocals. All the other instruments are line-in.

This is my system:
2 Mackie SA1232z's (mains) (1300 watts)
Frequency Range (–10 dB) 39 Hz–20 kHz
Frequency Response (–3 dB) 50 Hz–18 kHz
Horizonal Coverage Angle (–6 dB)
Max SPL long-term 133 dB @ 1m
Max SPL peak 136 dB @ 1m
Crossover Points 700 Hz, 3000 Hz (3-way)

2 Mackie SWA1801z's (subs) (800 watts)
Frequency Range (–10 dB) 35 Hz–120 Hz
Frequency Response (–3 dB) 45 Hz–120 Hz
Maximum SPL @ 1m 129 dB
Peak Output @ 1m 135 dB
Crossover Frequency 120 Hz (12 dB/octave)

4 Mackie SMR450 (monitors)

Drive rack:
1 Behringer MDX4600 4 chan. compressor/gate thingy (I use 2 channels for processing the Kicks @ 4:1, these are inserted into the kick channels on the mixer)

1 Behringer EX3200 2-Channel Multiband Sound Enhancement System (used for Multiband processing for high-frequency enhancement, Surround processor for spatial enhancement and improved stereo imaging, noise reduction system) (This is wired after the DRPX)

1 Driverack PX (Stereo w/subs)

1 Yamaha MG 24/14FX Mixer

I would like some suggestions for crossover points and suggestions for getting that kick sound mentioned earlier.

Thanks,

Moot

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Well I'm not so sure that those SW1801's and those tops can elicit a heart punch.. if were talking about the same thing that is...It takes a very well tuned system and lots of power to do this. Here's a few tricks to try...
    1. HPF the kick, start @ 20 hz BW 18 and sweep upward till your subs have the best definition and you eliminate the unwanted power robbing LF
    2. I like to scoop out some of the lo mid for the other instruments to nest in... the 250hz -500 hz area is a good place to start...A broad PEQ with a .7 Q centered @ 350hz then lower the gain till the gawk is gone.
    3. A peak @ about 1.5 k can help define the neater head attack
    4. Watch out for room resonances... 50, 250, 500, 1000... are common areas.
    5. Compression...start with a 4:1 ratio, 10-15ms ms attack, 150ms release....Crank the threshold way down to hear the effect...now raise it till you get the attack to tone ratio you want...Your effectively modifying the dynamic range of the drum...
    6. Mic placement... I haven't used my D12 since I got the Sennheiser E604 but just inside the hole, pointed at the batter head...Or on an open front drum 2\" off center and 3 inches back...
    7. Add @ 78-80 hz if the 1st harmonic is not strong enough...
    8. put the subs together... you get 3db of free sound
    Well that's it for now.. good luck and let us know how it comes out...
    Gadget