Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Setting compressor in 260

crisstycrissty Posts: 2
As given in the manual \"Compressor section\"
Gain (G) -20 to +20 dB
This parameter is used to compensate for the gain lost during compression. By using heavy
compression on a signal and then boosting the signal with the output gain, the user can create
a signal that sounds much louder than it actually is.

I could not understand as to how it would sound louder than it actually is,

and please will someone help as to how it is to be set

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ok, What a compressor does is raise the average overall loudness... that way the perception is that of a louder volume... now that isn't the ONLY thing that a compressor can do and if you listen to most of todays music your listening to over compressed music... there are no dynamics, and in the bargain no life.. in my opinion.. all for the pursuit of being the loudest sound on the radio...

I prefer to use a compressor to help smooth an unruly performance...Another BIG problem with over compressing a signal is that it raises the AVERAGE signal sent to the amps...this raises the duty cycle, and thus the stress on the power supply of the amp... get the duty cycle too high and you will exhaust the power supply of the amp and overheat the speaker voice coils.. leading to the letting out of the smoke.. :cry: and once the smoke is out it's VERY HARD to get it back in046.gif

SO... FORGET about over compressing...
    36_2_44anabsoluteno.gif
    and save your drivers...
    Hadaheckofatimegettingthisout.jpg
    Gadget
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    I just set that picture as wallpaper on my computer.

Dennis
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ya... that's pretty nasty.. then there's this one...
    Itsmakingsomefunnynoises-1.jpg
    Bet it was making a ton of noise !

Then there's the ever popular \"Well it was working just fine and then ...it just quit!\"

Gilloteened.jpg

This one let the smoke out rather violently...I bet...
    SPEAKEROOPS1.jpg

and this one is was crossed JUST a little too low...

WhatIwascrossed500hz.jpg

absoluutklote.gif
    G