Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PX
Options

PX with PRX-512Ms

keywhizkeywhiz Posts: 5
edited August 2009 in DriveRack PX
I just purchased a PX for use with my system which is a Yamaha 24 MG24/14fx mixer into a pair of JBL PRX-512M mains and a pair of PRX-518subs.

Should I use the PRX-515 setting for the mains and leave as is?
Should I use the PRX-515 setting for the mains and make a slight adjustment (and what would that be?)
Or should I use the StMainSSub setting and what should my adjustments be?

Thanks in advance! As a noobie, I will likely have more questions later.

Also, if I end up being happy with the PX, I plan to purchase 2 more units to drive the 4 JBL EON15G2s I use for monitors.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Welcome,
    Well, I guess you could use the 515 setting , but I'd raise the LPF/HPF of the sub top crossover 15's are typically capable of lower extension in a front loaded design, and the specs show that with the 515 showing 54 hz as the 3db down point and the 512 as 72 hz...So I'd set the HPF/LPF about 20 hz higher for the 512's. Then, if you haven't already, go to the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section and do some reading. The \"start here\" and FAQ section have extensive information and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your rig...
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=61
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=60
    gadget
  • Options
    keywhizkeywhiz Posts: 5
    Thanks for the recommendation Gadget!

Yes, I just found the \"read me first before posting\" section right AFTER I posted :?

But I've printed out all the pertinent information and plan to spend a good portion of the rest of my Sunday devouring it.

Here's another quick question though, I hope you can answer: I plan on my first gig with the PX to be an outdoor show I'm doing in a couple of days. In order to make most efficient use of my time, what steps are recommend and/or can be skipped for an outdoor venue? And could I use ANY outdoor venue for my initial system setup? i.e., would my backyard be sufficient? or should I wait to set up the system in the large parking lot we will be performing in? (I'm also a bit concerned about showing up and then finding out that I won't be able to spend much time running loud pink noise through the system.)
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    YA you really can't count on doing that,,, the Auto EQ sequence is ANNOYING to say the least... The back yard should suffice if you can aim the speakers away from reflective surfaces... Actually a hard parking lot would pose a reflected energy problem...that you would want to use the indoor method to get accurate setups, I:E: using the mic in a PZM fashion (aimed at the surface strait down and very close...make sure you read and understand the boundary cancellation post. for outdoor shows it is often prudent to set an HPF of 45hz BW 18 to protect your speakers... especially if your not going out with an overkill system (tons of boxes)...
    G