Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

AFS 224

RoadRangerRoadRanger Posts: 12
I have two of these inline from my mixer's 4 monitor sends and the monitor amps. I have them set for -10dbu level so that they see enough signal to light the 0db light and occasionally flash the +10db lights as per the manual. These units are spec'd at +20dbu in and out, does setting the switch from +4dbu to -10dbu affect the +20dbu specs? Will the clip light flash at +20dbu or 14db below that now?

Also it's confusing as to the proper \"live \" usage for a portable PA. I need to reset the fixed filters every time I set up someplace different? I've been starting in \"fixed\" mode, ringing out the 12 (default) fixed filters then switching to \"live\" mode - is this correct? Sure would be nice if the manual told you how to actually use it in the real world :(! I do seem to be getting a 6db+ improvement in GBF so I'm using them at least somewhat right I hope :). The Sabine 1020+'s I have in my other system are a whole lot easier to use as they switch automatically to live mode after the fixed filters are \"used up\" - I'm basing my usage of the AFS224 on the MUCH better manual for the Sabine's.

I'd use them in mic channel inserts instead but I usually have 5 or 6 vocal mics set up and only 4 channels of AFS224 :(.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I will tell you that these work much better as channel inserts. The most annoying thing is that you do have to select wether you are notching fixed or live. When you fill the fixed and think you're ready, then you hear a squeal, but it doesn't catch it, EVER. That's when you call yourself an idoit and press the button for live.
    I don't know about the level selection affecting it's range. But, the hotter the signal that goes into them the better they work.
    You do have to re-do the fixed filters at every venue, even if you move a monitor, or change a mic, you may have to.
    I usually select as many as 18 filters for live. I start with speech and grab the first few, since they will usually be the widest problems, then switch to music-low, grab a few and so on. I usually get an extra 9db at least. I always set the lives to speech,m as they usually grab quicker and release after 5 secs.
    I happen to have a extra AFS224 for sell. Absolute mint condition. Never been smoked on and has less than 50 hrs on it.
    Hope that answered you questions.

DRA
  • Options
    Found this that has a pretty good step-by-step to using this guy live:
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Download/Quicksta ... _Guide.pdf
    Still would like to know if the -10/+4 button effects the in and out clip levels?
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    I will tell you that these work much better as channel inserts.
    Unfortunately the monitor sends on a MixWiz3 are pre-insert so that wouldn't work to fix monitor feedback :(. This rig belongs to a band I'm BE'ing for and I wouldn't want to reconfigure the monitor sends to post EQ as they may still need to mix themselves from the stage with it on occasion.
  • Options
    Hey, I didn't see anywhere in the manual where it documents the AFS's behaviour of eventually switching to \"live\" mode if you are in fixed mode and have all the fixed filters used? Last gig I was trying to just run the default 12 fixed filters and they changed to live mode all by themselves twice before I believed someone wasn't pushing the buttons on me :shock:.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    That may be true, but I am certain that if you have not latched any fixed filters (or change to live before they're done) and you switch to live mode, no more fixed filters will latch. Kind of makes sense, actually. You have two options, I think. Set up for 12 total filters. Or Start in live with no lifts.

DRA