Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads Zone Pro 1260/1261 Zone Pro 1260/1261 General Discussion
Options

using a 1260 with auto audio sensing relays to trigger scene

I'm new to dbx and have an odd installation request. I think I can do this with a design I've put together, but I'm not sure of any limitations with the 1260 unit.

I have an aquatic center which needs a wireless mic for classes and local iPod audio for the instructor's audio. I need 4 zones with background music. There will be 1 wireless mic that can be used in any of the zones. There will be 3 zones that have a local iPod input. When an iPod starts playing, all background music needs to stop in all zones, and the mic and iPod need to be mixed together only in the zone where the iPod was plugged in.

I believe I can do this with audio sensors (which I've used before) that give contact closure when sensing audio. I would wire the 3 audio sensors into a ZC4 and set it up to trigger 3 different scenes that would route the audio accordingly.

Will this work at all? :)

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Options
    Hi jimstolz76,

This should work. You could definitely program the scenes needed to \"unselect\" the background music as the source.

So you would have four scenes:
    1. Normal Operation
    2. Mic and ipod Zone 1 Active
    3. Mic and ipod Zone 2 Active
    4. Mic and ipod Zone 3 Active

As long as the contact closures from the audio sensor allow you to achieve the correct binary wiring schemes as shown in the ZC-4 Interactive Wiring guide (see below link), this shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.dbxpro.com/Download/Training ... 0Guide.htm
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I was more or less just checking that there wasn't some hardware limitation I didn't know about. Like how you can't use the 640 as a mixer, but it looks like you can...

I'll (essentially) have an SPDT relay for each of the 3 audio sensors. The N.O. side of each will go to GND on the ZC4, the N.C. side of each will go to V+. Then the COM terminal will go to terminals 1, 2, and 3, respectively.

When audio sensor 1 is tripped it will trigger \"Binary 1\" and the corresponding scene will trigger. When audio sensor 1 turns \"off\", it will go back to Binary 0. Also, if someone plugs in a 2nd iPod and plays it at the same time, whoever got there first will continue to play. (will trigger something like Binary 7, which will be set to do nothing) Then once the 1st iPod is turned off, it will jump back to Binary 2 and will trigger scene 2.

At first I was worried about what would happen with multiple iPods plugged (which supposedly won't happen, but still), and was worried about getting it to return to the \"Global Audio\" preset, but the more I think about this setup the more it looks like everything will work just fine.

I love the combination of old-school relay logic with a new-school intelligent processor. :)
  • Options
    Yeah, this should work just fine.

It looks like you could use:

1. Normal Operation = Binary 0
    2. Mic and ipod Zone 1 Active = Binary 1
    3. Mic and ipod Zone 2 Active = Binary 2
    4. Mic and ipod Zone 3 Active = Binary 4

You could then just set all other Binary assignements to \"Do Nothing\" as you have mentioned.

Pretty cool trick!
  • Options
    I am using the 1261 in a 5 zone setting, is there anyway I can get the receptionist to page a zone independantly of the others.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    A ZC3 will allow selection of where the page will go.

DRA